how much horsepower will after market intercooler add

Guest dane

You're not adding any psi, just recovering lost horsepower due to heat in the intake temps, as well as a more consistent power.

Intake air will be much cooler, so with all things equal you car should run like it does on cool nights more often. Tough to say what the actual number of the increase will be since it's dependant on the FMIC, install, and how much air flow it's getting.

If you're asking if you should increase boost - I wouldn't at all after the install since fuel is still the big limiter in increasing boost, and the FMIC does nothing for that.

Rabin

You're not adding any psi, just recovering lost horsepower due to heat in the intake temps, as well as a more consistent power.

Intake air will be much cooler, so with all things equal you car should run like it does on cool nights more often. Tough to say what the actual number of the increase will be since it's dependant on the FMIC, install, and how much air flow it's getting.

If you're asking if you should increase boost - I wouldn't at all after the install since fuel is still the big limiter in increasing boost, and the FMIC does nothing for that.

Rabin

ahhh OK cool, when i stand in front of my bov and make it go off hot air comes out so with the inter cooler that air should be colder right. and i am still trying to figure out what to do to make it get the most air flow with out cutting to much stuff to fit it in :/ i don't want it to look all ghetto ya know.

I am thinking about going to a junk yard on Monday to see if they have one of toughs ford trucks with the brown top injectors their 400cc that should be enough to add little bit of psi yes? but i still don't know what year and model truck to get them off of. thanks for the info Rabin

-Dane

Yep - if you can get some 400cc/min injectors, then yes you'll have enough fuel to support the boost, but you'll still need to tune the system so that it can use it.

Safest way to increase boost is with a WB02 and an EGT gauge. Anything less and you're playing with fire.

BTW - get what ever used injectors cleaned and flow tested before using them. All it takes is one bad injector to burn a hole in a piston.

Rabin

Yep - if you can get some 400cc/min injectors, then yes you'll have enough fuel to support the boost, but you'll still need to tune the system so that it can use it.

Safest way to increase boost is with a WB02 and an EGT gauge. Anything less and you're playing with fire.

BTW - get what ever used injectors cleaned and flow tested before using them. All it takes is one bad injector to burn a hole in a piston.

Rabin

is a 5inch x 2foot IC big enough?

Since it's FMIC it'll get way better air flow across it which is the big bonus for doing it.

As for size, just a rough calc would be to calculate the surface area of it. I'll measure the one in my garage and let you know what the dimensions of the stock TMIC and then you'll have an idea of how much bigger it is. So if you can fill in how thick it is that should give you some basic numbers to work with. (24x5x?) LOTS of assumptions, but this is just a ball park estimate.

Running any intercooler is going to be better than running without one. So you'll likely see a much bigger improvement than someone going from the stock TMIC to a FMIC.

Rabin

alright cool thanks for doing this for me Rabin

ya all my friends that have their 240sx told me that when they put their fmic in it was a noticeable increase in power which i am hopping for.

Man now i cant wate to get it in i m getting all anxious now

lol :D

-Dane