Extra pipes between cylinderhead/exhaust manifold.

krede

I might as well continue my bombardment of questions.. :)

There seem to be some small inserts between the 505 head and exhaust manifold... these are NOT present in the murena.. and I was wondering what their purpose is ?..

I did plan simply to grind down the recesses in the exhaust to smooth the flow with extra pipes missing.

Those will take pressure off from exhaust gasget... no other purpose. Whitout those gasget will leak BIG time!

V-M

Auch.. that is unfortunate since the Murena doesn't have any such provisions...

I'll have to find a solution to this as I intend to use the 505 manifold...

Are those pipes needed because of the extra pressure , or because of the weight of the turbo?

Auch.. that is unfortunate since the Murena doesn't have any such provisions...

I'll have to find a solution to this as I intend to use the 505 manifold...

Are those pipes needed because of the extra pressure , or because of the weight of the turbo?

You could make an arguement for both cases I would think! (I always thought it was for sealing - but other turbo cars do fine without them)

I thought this was an N9TE motor that you were using out of a 505 Turbo Peugeot?

As for solutions I'd look at getting better exhaust manifold studs, and then even some better gaskets. I've heard copper sheet makes a good exhaust gasket, and another option would be to "o-ring" the exhaust ports.

If it were me I'd see if there's a local water jet cutting company that could make you up a set of copper gaskets off the pattern of the OEM ones.

Rabin

If it were me I'd see if there's a local water jet cutting company that could make you up a set of copper gaskets off the pattern of the OEM ones.

Thanks Rabin.. that's good advice.. I'd sure like to avoid any "machining " of the cylinder head.

I believe that some time ago, there was a post from a guy who had fitted the 505 manifold to a Murena head.. Only problem he had was a stud missing in the murena head.. he didn't mention any leaking.

I thought this was an N9TE motor that you were using out of a 505 Turbo Peugeot?

That was my plan... But as it turned out, It was impossible to find one!..

So, as the next best thing, I am using a spare murena engine instead... which IS the more expensive option for sure.. but not a total disaster as I have already fitted the engine with 45mm throttle bodies and programmable engine management..... thus I will be avoiding the head ache that my mate Hans is having with the wiring loom, and control boxes, and It should also prove an advantage when modifying the engine.

And luckily for me V-M has so far been supplying me with the 505 parts I need. :)

However the 505 and the Talbot engines are not as similar as I thought when I started.. the exhaust rings are just the latest proof of that..

So far I have noted the following issues :

- Pistons.. obviously.. but I would have new ones made anyway.. so not to worry.

- Oil supply to the turbo.. the take off on the block has been plugged on the Talbot unit and has to be drilled. And of cause there is no return connection on the sump either.

- Thermostat housing... the 505 has more plugs for sensors. and connection for the turbo plumbing?

- Distributor is different the 505 has a different hall sensor build into it suitable for EFI. I got one from V-M that Is currently on my car, (modified to provide for sequential injection, with the tb's)

- Water pump. Murenas use a unique designed housing due to limited space.

- No provision on the Talbot engine block for fitting a knock sensor.

- The Murena cylinder head has three bolt holes an engine stabilizer

- Valves.... early 505's had hollow liquid filled exhaust valves..and I'm not certain if the Muena valves are can handle the heat.(this issue has been raised before)

- Camshaft is different.

Further I suspect:

- Con rods, and crank might be different... they look exactly the same, but maybe different strength of the material?.

- Oil pressure spring/volume different , due to the turbo needing supply?

And I'm sure more things will pop up further down the road :)