XN6 running poorly

Pugsley

Im still tinkering with my XN6 5 speed. The car sat for many years before I aquaired it. Ive ran it over 300 miles on the highway hoping to blow it out. However, it runs choppy and bucks at lower RPMs. When it his 3000 rpms it changes, like secondaries kicking in on a 4 barell carb, then it pulls well.

Ive changed the plugs, checked the wires, installed a new fuel pump and filter (the old filterwasnt too bad) checked the vacuum which holds a steady 18in and the needle doesnt move. It also idles high. I havent checked the timing yet.

Any suggestions ? Ive fixed alot of things but Im pretty sure its fuel delivery related. Anyone know Bosch systems well ? Also, the converter was removed when I bought it, so I know the clogged converter isnt the problem.

I'd still ensure there's no vacuum leak, and I'd check the TPS adjustment and the micro switch on the throttle body.

Have you checked valve adjustment?

There's a ton of resources online for tuning CIS - so just do some searching. Same system as the VW's - so follow one of the tuning guides and you should be able to get it 100%

I've always meant to go through one of my cars to make sure the CIS was totally dialled in - but never got the chance yet so far.

Good luck!

Rabin

I'd still ensure there's no vacuum leak, and I'd check the TPS adjustment and the micro switch on the throttle body.

Have you checked valve adjustment?

There's a ton of resources online for tuning CIS - so just do some searching. Same system as the VW's - so follow one of the tuning guides and you should be able to get it 100%

I've always meant to go through one of my cars to make sure the CIS was totally dialled in - but never got the chance yet so far.

Good luck!

Rabin

Thanks ! Whats the CIS ? I'll continue looking for vacuum leaks, but at 18in steady, its most likely not the problem. Never adjusted the valves. I know that can sure make an engine run more smoothly.

CIS

First one that popped up on Google - should get you started though. As for the vacuum leak - if it's a steady small leak it'll still give you an even read out. No idea what it should be at though - but good to check anyway.

I'd recommend adjusting the valves and timing at a minimum too - those are key to a well running motor.

Rabin

• 1 month later...