T3 without water?

krede

Ive seen the T3 turbos run with the water cooling disconnected... has anybody done this?

I admit that discarding the water cooling of the turbo would make my installation a a lot easier...

Or should I just get a turbo that hasn't any watercooling to start with?

I'd be worried that the water cooled turbos wouldn't have as much oil flow as the T3's that were not water cooled. The 85' 505 Turbo's were oil only, and they're slightly bigger as well if that helps.

Curious why water cooling would be so hard? Is it just access? Or distance from the radiator?

Rabin

Curious why water cooling would be so hard? Is it just access? Or distance from the radiator

Hey Rabin.. well.. there are several reasons really.. :)

But as you say access/space being my major concern... since I will also be using water/air inter cooling, and an electric water pump...... I fear that the amount of pipes and hoses will just get out of control.

Further, the Electric water pump, will only start up when the engine gets to operating temperature..... thus there will be no water circulation to the turbo until them.... I fear the risk of boiling, unless fitting a separate pump....

Like V-M, I also have the the impression that the water is only there to provide durability....

I might be wrong here.. but I have not seen any of new vehicles being fitted with water cooled turbo's .

Could it be that the improvement in engine oils ha made water cooling of the turbo less necessary?

Hey Rabin.. well.. there are several reasons really.. :)

But as you say access/space being my major concern... since I will also be using water/air inter cooling, and an electric water pump...... I fear that the amount of pipes and hoses will just get out of control.

Further, the Electric water pump, will only start up when the engine gets to operating temperature..... thus there will be no water circulation to the turbo until them.... I fear the risk of boiling, unless fitting a separate pump....

Like V-M, I also have the the impression that the water is only there to provide durability....

I might be wrong here.. but I have not seen any of new vehicles being fitted with water cooled turbo's .

Could it be that the improvement in engine oils ha made water cooling of the turbo less necessary?

Hmmm I just assumed all the new turbos were water cooled. Haven't checked it out - but all the Subaru's I've worked on were water cooled as well.

As for fear of boiling - if it's set up right, convection would likely be more than enough to get the fluid flowing if done right. (Heated coolant in turbo rises drawing cooler coolant into it.)

Rabin

Hmmm I just assumed all the new turbos were water cooled. Haven't checked it out - but all the Subaru's I've worked on were water cooled as well.

As for fear of boiling - if it's set up right, convection would likely be more than enough to get the fluid flowing if done right. (Heated coolant in turbo rises drawing cooler coolant into it.)

Rabin

I could be wrong :).. wouldn't be the first time!.

I've been mostly working with trucks/diesels.. but of cause these take nowhere near the punishment that high performance gasoline's does

The 505 Turbo's just tap into the upper and lower rad hoses, so it should be nice and simple to plumb it in. The peace of mind alone is worth the extra effort especially since it's a rear engine configuration.

Have you uprated the cooling system at all? Will definitely need to run an uprated radiator to handle the extra heat generated...

Rabin

The 505 Turbo's just tap into the upper and lower rad hoses, so it should be nice and simple to plumb it in. The peace of mind alone is worth the extra effort especially since it's a rear engine configuration.

Have you uprated the cooling system at all? Will definitely need to run an uprated radiator to handle the extra heat generated...

Rabin

No, though I have given it some thought.

The murena turbos I have seen have all been using the original radiator. The general consensus being that it, if kept in good condition, it is able to cope.

However, as of now my project is one the shelves in the basement, and sitting idle in a rented garage.

The reason being a so far "troublesome" 08 season, an attempted burglary, and a host of lesser mechanical problems, has taken the Murena off the road.

Further, I have started studying as a Marine engineer (at age 31 and with two "guided trips" to Kosovo and one to Iraq, I thought it was time to leave the army and start studying)

so though I have the money for the project, time and "work space" in sin short supply..... so progress is slow.. :)