Door Locks Broken :(

Kevin

My central locking has always worked fine... until yesterday.

I went to lock my doors as normal and they kind of ground and locked, like the battery was dying?

They unlocked fine, i got in my car and locked them, the central locking didn't lock all the doors. I tried to unlock the drivers door and all the doors locked again...

Went to unlock the drivers door and nothin. It seems to be "stuck" in place no matter how much I pull up on the lever or w/ the key in the door.

The central locking does not work, but the other doors are fine unlocking and locking manually.

Is there anything I can do to get the drivers door unstuck? I checked my fuses under the hood and the one behind the ashtray and none are blown. What's going on?? :angry: Is there anything I can do to force the drivers door to unlock? i might be able to pry the door card off w/ the door shut or maybe the external door handle off?

well, i pried apart the door panel while it was shut and fiddled around w/ some stuff anddddd it unlocked... *shrug*

sprayed some wd-40 for good measure, tested it a dozen times and put it all back together, no problems so far.

in the future i'm not going to be doing any unnecessary door locking however.

If I were you I'd pull it apart again, remove the latch assembly and clean really well with spirits / brake clean. Then lube the mechanisms with graphite. WD40 is not a lube, and actually dissolves oil / grease. (Makes a great cleaner, and a decent penetrant.)

Once it's all cleaned and lubed properly you should make sure to use it often so that it stays functioning. Another thing to look at is the lock actuator. They sometimes get sticky and can be cleaned up with some electrical cleaner.

I've got to do this to my cars as well - especially with my 504.

Rabin

If I were you I'd pull it apart again, remove the latch assembly and clean really well with spirits / brake clean. Then lube the mechanisms with graphite. WD40 is not a lube, and actually dissolves oil / grease. (Makes a great cleaner, and a decent penetrant.)

Once it's all cleaned and lubed properly you should make sure to use it often so that it stays functioning. Another thing to look at is the lock actuator. They sometimes get sticky and can be cleaned up with some electrical cleaner.

I've got to do this to my cars as well - especially with my 504.

Rabin

Hi Bean,

Thanks for the info! I have some gear oil ill put in, it was pretty dirty in there. The door card is much easier to remove with the door opened though ;)

Thanks for the info! I have some gear oil ill put in, it was pretty dirty in there. The door card is much easier to remove with the door opened though ;)

No man - don't use gear oil! Use graphite. You can get it in spray cans, liquid form in bottles, and in powder form. Any lock shop should have it as that's what is recommended for lubricating lock mechanisms.

Gear oil (or any oil for that matter) will just attract dirt and dust, turn into a thick gritty paste and gum it up all over again.

Rabin

Guest EUROTRASH

My central locking has always worked fine... until yesterday.

I went to lock my doors as normal and they kind of ground and locked, like the battery was dying?

They unlocked fine, i got in my car and locked them, the central locking didn't lock all the doors. I tried to unlock the drivers door and all the doors locked again...

Went to unlock the drivers door and nothin. It seems to be "stuck" in place no matter how much I pull up on the lever or w/ the key in the door.

The central locking does not work, but the other doors are fine unlocking and locking manually.

Is there anything I can do to get the drivers door unstuck? I checked my fuses under the hood and the one behind the ashtray and none are blown. What's going on?? :( Is there anything I can do to force the drivers door to unlock? i might be able to pry the door card off w/ the door shut or maybe the external door handle off?

The same thing happened to me once. I removed the door panel and found that metal rod that actuates the locking mechanism had detached itself. I reattached it back into place and secured it with a plastic strap just in case, even if this was not the problem to begin with, I would do the same just to prevent this from happening.