Suspension failure

Guest EUROTRASH

Guest EUROTRASH

The shocks have been rebuilt, new oil and seals... but the car handles even the smallest bump as if it were railroad tracks. (very badly)

I've been told 505's have a "plate" or "bushing" of some sort at the top of the suspension tower, something that lies between the suspension and the chassis and over time this component may fail... crack, bend, dry... I don't know. I'm trying to figure out what it could be before I have someone look at it, if it's something I can replace I'd rather have it looked at and replaced all at once.

Any idea what this could be?

If the struts were rebuilt the strut bearings would have been obviously shot... And if the struts were done - can I assume the ball joint was replaced as well?

I've experienced really weird sensations when the ball joint was shot on my first 505 Turbo - but the tire wiggle test didn't show any signs. It wasn't till I put a pry bar in there before I could see movement, and there was huge movement! Probably close to half an inch of play.

If you suspect the strut bearings, pop the hood and bounce the car slowly while looking at the strut tops... Should be able to see movement in there.

The only other suggestion is to do a spanner check - that is check all the suspension bolts for tightness. Even wheel lug tightness.

Let us know what you find.

Rabin

Guest EUROTRASH

Strut bearings... now we're getting somewhere.

Ball joints were replaced, together with the tie-rods and brake rotors, but the one thing I didn't even know about was the strut bearings. I will look into this and I will also do the tests you suggested.

Is there any chanse that these strut bearings might be a V6 ABS specific part? (this happens all the time, I wouldn't be surprised)

Thanks Rabin

Sorry - can't tell you if they're ABS specific, but I doubt they are. I believe the same insert works in both the older one piece struts and the newer 2pc ones - and if that's the case they should be the same.

Let us know if they're still available or not. I've been trying to spec out some adjustable strut bearing plates with replacable spherical bearings but not having a lot of luck.

I did part out an 88' car with the newer ABS style struts, and the car only had 140000 km on it... So they should be OK with some servicing. (I think they can be re-greased.) (disks are OK too if anyone else needs them.)

Rabin

Guest EUROTRASH

"I've been trying to spec out some adjustable strut bearing plates..."

Ok, so they're actually two parts? The strut bearing and plates? I wish I could see pictures, I really want to replace everything to eradicate the problem completely.

(I have a feeling these parts will come from England just like the rotors did.)

The strut bearing has two functions - it supports the top of the spring, and it allows the rotation of the strut when you turn. So the bearing itself can fail and leave some play, or the rubber isolation of the bearing might have failed causing play...

I'd call the usual suspects in the states before resorting to England - but make sure it's the strut top before buying stuff.

Surprised it wasn't noticed when they did the struts - it's common practice to make sure the strut bearing is on good shape before reassembly.

Rabin