peugeot 307 sw

Guest ghost

Hi, really sorry if I am posting this in the wrong forum.

I recently got a 307 sw (2003 model), and was wondering how easy/feasible it is to swap the engine with

something more powerful.

Do you have any recommendations? I am a complete newbie to stuff like this, so please bear with me.

Thanks.

EDIT: Thought I would just explain exactly why I am interested in a swap. The car has a rough idle,

harsh gear changes, unpredictable throttle response... Thought I might just start fresh. Is it worth it?

I think the people on this forum is mainly focused on the 505's, so I'm not sure if you will get the info you want from here.

One problem I can see about changing motor in such a new car (apart from the purely mechanical aspect) is if it's legal or not?

I don't know where you're located, but here in Sweden it isn't that easy to swap engine just like that.

To point you where the info is - then the place I'd recommend is the AussieFrog Forum...

Australia gets the newer Peugeot's - and they have quite the performance scene there so there's a lot of info on engine swaps and such. The latest one I was reading was swapping a newer engine from a 306 GTi6 (?) (Same as - it was out of a Cit) into an older 205! Guy doing the work (Magik I think) is doing a fantastic job...

As for your dilemma -it's hard to be specific as there are no other details about you or the car. That being said - I think you are MUCH better off finding and fixing the issues than to embark on an engine swap. Not only will it be far more expensive, but the value of the car is usually diminished unless it looks OEM after the swap, and has really transformed the car. Also - if you don't have the technical background to find and fix the issues - you'll have to pay a shop to swap and that will likely not be viable either.

The issues you mention don't sound bad at all - but I don't even know if it's gas or diesel.

Rabin

Hi, thanks for the quick replies. The car has a 1.6 liter gas engine. Where I'm from (Trinidad) there are tons of other Peugeot owners who complain of similar problems. And far worse too. The dealers seem quite clueless. I personally know persons who have changed multiple transmissions in very short order to no avail. There are lots of very good mechanics here. Again, though they seem unfamiliar with the newer Peugeots. But the car handles beautifully and is so comfortable.

I will check the other forum for some more information. I really like the mods you do here though.

Thank you.

@Johnny: Yeah, I guess Trinidad is pretty relaxed about stuff like that.

hi ghost.

thought i would add my thoughts to your problems. i see alot of 307's over here in the uk. as they are whats known as multiplexed, engine swaps are very difficult without resorting to aftermarket engine management systems. its not to be said that it cant be done, theres currently a 307 saloon with a 3.0 24v v6 running around in the netherlands somewhere. :lol:

your problems sound like a throttle body fault. is it a 8 valve or a 16v model?

mike

Hi mikey s,

is it a 8 valve or a 16v model?

It's the 16v model. The exact model number is: 3HNFUE. I didn't even know there was an 8 valve model. Is it common for this model to develop throttle problems? Is it more feasible to change the car to a manual transmission?

Thanks again.