New daily driver

brownie

My collection is getting a bit out of hand, but this opportunity I couldn't refuse.

I love diesel engines and automatic gearboxes. But that combination in 505's is very rare to find in Europe. I've been looking for one in France and Holland since a few years, but never found one in good condition. A few weeks ago I tried german sites and immediately I found this car:

A 1987 GTDT automatic. So that's the one with the mighty XD3TE (110hp) engine. Being a peugeot diesel is has an incredible torque, comparable to the turbo's I guess: about 250Nm at 2000 rpm.

It has only done 117.000km or about 75.000 miles. Knowing the quality of these engines, I can drive it for many years to come. Only a few minor detaisl that could be fixed. But there is no rust, dents or scratches. Interieur is also very good.

Really a fantastic car to drive:

gtdtAut1.jpg

gtdtAut2.jpg

I have a lead for a 2.5 Intercooled diesel in France; buddy tells me its 130 hp (DIN)

Im planning on dropping it into my 82 Turbo diesel for more power. Can you post some underhood pics of that engine ?

I'll probably have to change a few things; it looks like from your pics the intercooler is where my expansion tank is.

I have a lead for a 2.5 Intercooled diesel in France; buddy tells me its 130 hp (DIN)

Im planning on dropping it into my 82 Turbo diesel for more power. Can you post some underhood pics of that engine ?

I'll probably have to change a few things; it looks like from your pics the intercooler is where my expansion tank is.

Compared to the XD2 you have to move the expansion tank indeed, but that's all I guess. Basically it's the same engine, they only fitted a turbo and a intercooler to it. It should be not that difficult.

In all official document it is stated as an 110HP engine but with an massive torque, much higher than on my GTI with ZDJL engine (130HP). Really an engine to pull heavy trailers with. There is also a 125 HP version of this engine, but that was only fitted in the Citroen CX, some of them transformed by Tissier. I had two turbo's, but also often problems with leaking head gaskets due to the enormous power.

Really these are cars that were available in Europe in relatively large numbers. The vans were mainly used by distrubutors of newspapers. They would go up to 170 km/h which was a lot faster than ordinary vans in those days. That's why they were use to distribute foreign newspapers to the large european cities during the night. The first printruns were ready around midnight and during the night at high speed transported to other countries, making them available in the kiosks the next day already!

Due to this extreme work, most cars did crash during such a ride or the heads gaskets get leaking.

Here are different variations of these CX's, not handy in the city centres though:

Car transporter:

CX_plateau_geant.jpg

"Normal" Tissier van:

CX_Hollander_1er_modele.jpg

Van with expandable roof:

CX-Penthouse-AV.jpg

14! seater CX:

CX-14-AV.jpg

• 8 months later...

Hi,

Does anyone know whether the XD3TE engine was available on right hand drive models or does the brake booster get in the way of where the intercooler sits?

If anyone has a right hand drive XD3TE, I'd love to see some under bonnet (hood) pictures please.

Thanks.

Leon.

Sydney, Australia.

Peugeot 505 GTDT

• 9 months later...

Compared to the XD2 you have to move the expansion tank indeed, but that's all I guess. Basically it's the same engine, they only fitted a turbo and a intercooler to it. It should be not that difficult.

In all official document it is stated as an 110HP engine but with an massive torque, much higher than on my GTI with ZDJL engine (130HP). Really an engine to pull heavy trailers with. There is also a 125 HP version of this engine, but that was only fitted in the Citroen CX, some of them transformed by Tissier. I had two turbo's, but also often problems with leaking head gaskets due to the enormous power.

Really these are cars that were available in Europe in relatively large numbers. The vans were mainly used by distrubutors of newspapers. They would go up to 170 km/h which was a lot faster than ordinary vans in those days. That's why they were use to distribute foreign newspapers to the large european cities during the night. The first printruns were ready around midnight and during the night at high speed transported to other countries, making them available in the kiosks the next day already!

Due to this extreme work, most cars did crash during such a ride or the heads gaskets get leaking.

Here are different variations of these CX's, not handy in the city centres though:

Car transporter:

CX_plateau_geant.jpg

"Normal" Tissier van:

CX_Hollander_1er_modele.jpg

Van with expandable roof:

CX-Penthouse-AV.jpg

14! seater CX:

CX-14-AV.jpg

I found a non intercooled 2.5 turbo Im putting in my 81 model 505 without the turbo. Its automatic and geared lower then the turbo (3.78 vs 3.07)

Im taking the head off and doing a valve job, replacing the headgasket and turning up the pump 10-15 %

You think a 505 pull another car loaded on a car dolly (not a car trailer)

Hi,

Does anyone know whether the XD3TE engine was available on right hand drive models or does the brake booster get in the way of where the intercooler sits?

If anyone has a right hand drive XD3TE, I'd love to see some under bonnet (hood) pictures please.

Thanks.

Leon.

Sydney, Australia.

Peugeot 505 GTDT

I could see how the intercooler would get in the way, it's tight on the RHS. I did some research and they mentioned the 2.5 Turbodiesel in the UK, but it didnt mention it being intercooled ?