N9T issues

Pugsley

I just bought a 87 Turbo with a N9T. Im told they can give headgasket issues; is this a problem with these engines ? Is there anything else thats acts up on them ? I know parts for them are scarce.

Like alll iron block/aluminum head combos, it's not like the old days of small block Fords and Chevys when no one knew what a blown head gasket was.

Overheat (only once), overboost, bad gas (requires premium), carbon buildup in combustion chamber or any/all combination of these can cause any IR/AL engine to blow a head gasket - guaranteed - from any automaker. You can get an oil analysis to see if coolant is making it's way into the oil. As well, you can have you coolant tested. I think Blackstone does both. A smart thing to do with any engine with an unknown history.

You can always do a visual yourself and monitor the temp gauge. It shouldn't go much past the 1/2 way point. The electro-mechanical fan clutch should be working. If not, that's a bad sign. Knock sensor should be working and properly mounted. N9T employs a standard Bosch-L FI system. If you know your way around one, this is no different. Coolant requires a by-the-book bleed procedure to avoid air pockets.

The heads are known to develop stress cracks in around the exhaust valves. But they aren't like 7M-G(T)E Toyota engines where the factory woefully undertorqued the head bolts or Ford V6s or Subarus, etc.

Properly maintained, the engine is very stout. Mine has 140K on what might be the original head gasket. Abused while in a neglected state WILL roach a head gasket if not the head itself. Seeing these cars have been at the bottom of the economic ladder for a while, many/most have fallen into careless hands. Finding an unmolested car is a big challenge now.

Get yourself a factory engine manual. Don't accept a photocopy reproduction. Then, start looking for the other 5 factory manuals (body, drivetrain, brakes, electrical, clutch). An quicker way to go is to find a trusted mechanic who knows the N9T engine.

Thanks, with aluminum having four times the thermal expansion rate of cast iron; its never been a happy marriage.

As far as the thermo - magnet clutch my turbodiesel was adjusted so it always ran when I bought it; I left it that way despite everyone saying I shouldnt. But, even in terrible heartland humidity it never overheated. I might do the same with this, to be safe.