505 GTI (Unleaded) Turbo Convertion?

Guest skeleton

Guest skeleton

Hey all, good to be on a dedicated 505 forum!

After setting aside my Mi16x4 search a year or so, I have desided to find a Manual 505 GTi (Unleaded) to put my efforts into. I have owned a 505 STi in the past and have always regretted getting rid of it as it was such a great riding car! One of the plans I have in mind for this 505 is doing a turbo convertion on it, because the unleaded version of the car has a stock compression ratio of 8.8:1 it would be ideal to turbo, without replacing the stock internals. I will be installing larger injectors and Haltech managment. The biggest issue is the exhaust manifold, will I need to make up a custom job or is there another option I can take? Possibly from another car using a similar engine... The turbo injection 505 wasn't released over here or if it was then they are extremely rare, plus dont the TI 505's use a different engine all together?

Im sorry if I have sounded un informed as I am an Mi16 nut and most of my knowledge is based around the XU engines and not the ZDJ's.

All feedback is welcome, no matter if its constructive or critical. Id love to hear what you guys think about this project.

Possibly from another car using a similar engine... The turbo injection 505 wasn't released over here or if it was then they are extremely rare, plus dont the TI 505's use a different engine all together?

505 TI uses the N9Txx- engine

After setting aside my Mi16x4 search a year or so, I have desided to find a Manual 505 GTi (Unleaded) to put my efforts into. I have owned a 505 STi in the past and have always regretted getting rid of it as it was such a great riding car! One of the plans I have in mind for this 505 is doing a turbo convertion on it, because the unleaded version of the car has a stock compression ratio of 8.8:1 it would be ideal to turbo, without replacing the stock internals. I will be installing larger injectors and Haltech managment. The biggest issue is the exhaust manifold, will I need to make up a custom job or is there another option I can take? Possibly from another car using a similar engine... The turbo injection 505 wasn't released over here or if it was then they are extremely rare, plus dont the TI 505's use a different engine all together?

You know, if your going to turbo a 505, i would suggest turboing a V6 if you can. other people have done it, and there's some serious HP potential there. that's something i've always wanted to do, but don't know if it'll ever happen. search through the general section of the forum for some discussion on PRV twin turbo threads.

on another note, what about finding a 505 turbo motor from the US, and getting it shipped to australia? I'm sure it would be possible to find a motor here. it may not be super easy, but it's got to be possible. do you know how much shipping would be?

as johnny said, the 505 turbo engine is different from the ZDJL.

haltech eh? sounds like you've got a good project ahead of you! ;)

Guest skeleton

I considered importing an engine, but the main problem is the shipping cost will be up at around $1500 - $2000 AUD which is about $1150 - $1550 USD. Plus im not sure but there might be more complications with being right hand drive over here.

Plus im into making NA engines Turbo.... thats half fun!

I have thought about the PRV and considered the large power it could pull, but again not heaps of 505 V6 were sold here. Maybe finding a PRV in a different car could be an option, but I think id rather stick with the douvrins, as I am not really after HUGE amounts of power. Getting 250 Hp out of one should really be too difficult with a GT28 turbo. Im questioning if a Haltech is really needed as a less expensive managment could work very well. I think a Haltechs features could be wasted, plus im gonna do my best to keeping the cost down. Also I hear you can find 12 Valve heads that bolt right on, would this be possible and would be of huge benefit?

• 11 months later...

Hello all. I know this is a year since the last post but I saw this thread and thought if you were still interested I might be able to help skeleton.

I had an 85 gti exec that I had turbocharged on LPG threw a Gas Research carby.

Fairly straight forward and I was using mega squirt to control the ignition.

I did brake a few pistons from to much boost bad mixtures bad timing to much right foot etc, However on the whole the engine was strong and amazing how much even 4 psi changed that engine.

I could easily out parse a commodore v.6 with 4psi and at 12 psi it was very quick.

I used a Subaru wrx turbo ($250) TDO4L. I had tried 8.5 compression with a 7cc dish in the crown and std un dished pistons, My next car will be flat top pistons 9.2 to 1 I think they are.

If you would like some picks of the engine I can email you.

Daniel.