Exhaust manifold

Have you checked the manifold flange for being straight?  I've heard the sometimes need to trued - so that's the first place I'd look.

What gaskets are you using?  Good used usually works fine as OEM is really good quality MLS.

Rabin

Thanks for the reply bean. Have not checked for true yet, was leaving that as a last option...but now it seems I need to up the priority...the gasket I received did not have a part number however it is a Victor reinz.....it's a decent gasket but it does seem a little thinner than the OE metal one that came out. Everything mates up fine but around cylinders 1 and 2 I get the most leaking. Will check for true at some point this week and go from there. By chance do you have a part number for another gasket i could use? The gasket i recieved from a california source was in between 2 pieces of cardboard with no number. Thank you for your help.

It must be a stainless steel sandwich gasket, not a simple composite gasket for the non-turbo Talbot version of the engine.  Be sure to use the very fancy (expensive, non-magnetic) turbo studs and nuts.  I have manifolds and some hardware if you need to replace yours.

Btw, if you still want that dipstick please email me at [email protected] or call or text to 802-793-7168.  Sorry this is dragging out.  I just had another eye surgery.

• 2 weeks later...

Brian thanks for getting back to me. I hope all is going well after your surgeries and please no apology is necessary. Yes I am still interested in that dipstick. My efforts have been shifted to this gasket so I apologize for the late reply. Thank you too for the information on what type of gasket I have. It's exactly what you've described and I'm having an insane time finding one. I did find out the hard way that I do have the stainless nuts and studs when one fell behind the motor mount bracket and I couldn't retrieve in with a magnet lol. Anyway,  I'll be in touch through private message about that dipstick. Thank you again and thank you all else who have helped me understand this fine automobile ☺

Matt