Transfer to the top of a 1986 Peugeot 505 SW TD?

Joe Ernest

I grabbed the "Roof top Tent" from a Syncronaut in Los Angeles a couple of years ago. Used it on a friends Jeep Liberty a few times before installing it on my lightly expedition prepped Land Cruiser.

The "Roof top Tent" weighs about 150 lbs if I remember correctly - but the bulk is what makes it difficult to mount and unload. I have my doubts that the load rails on the 505 SW are up to the total 500 lb weight of tent plus 2 slumbering bodies.

I've slept in the back of Peugeot wagons since the mid 60's, 404s, 504s and 505s always in great comfort, I suspect a mattress/cushion of some sort will be absolutely necessary now, unless the Cotes du Rhone masks the night time body aches before delivering its morning head aches.

As I'm driving my dream van, I now have a surplus of Vanagons -

1980 Air cooled Westfalia 1/2 camper

1982 Diesel Westfalia - hopefully traded for front differential installation

1985 Weekender - with 1.9 WBX bumped up to 2,1L

Part trade for a turbo diesel or turbo gas motor?

JoE

post-1919-0-48076000-1447382622_thumb.jp

post-1919-0-32015700-1447382654_thumb.jp

post-1919-0-30561100-1447382681_thumb.jp

I'll do some reading - but I was looking at the hard topped ones that pop up, or looking at doing something custom.

I've got the full roof rack, but I'm also confident I could fabricate a lightweight alloy roof rack should the factory one not suffice, or go with 4x thule drip rail mounted roof racks.

I'm way far away for a trade to make sense, but parts wise I could help with anything the gas turbo needed. Currently both my TD'S are spoken for though.

(Still think yours has a good chance of being ok - these cars often suffer most from poor maintenance. )

Rabin