505GTD Familiale Auto 1986 High Engine Oil Level loses Clear Oil

is this the suction or vacuum pump? It is connected via long hose with the brake booster zylinder and branches down to the bottom of the engine housing where I canĀ“t follow it. The metal line running out of the pump runs down at the side of the engine, and again vanishes somewhere.

I think it must be, but it is different from either of the 2 versions I've seen on North American models. From the overall picture of your engine compartment I can see that the object you picture here is located where the vacuum pump is located on ours and the fact that it is connected to the brake booster also indicates that it is the vacuum pump. I think the tee branches down to the vacuum reservoir near the base of the steering column. if you remove the battery you would see it or it should be visible from below.

I agree with Dave - the line that runs to the booster will be the vacuum side, and the other line should be the output / pressure side that connects to the air intake housing.

The pump itself is the original one, where many retrofit the older style as its easy to rebuild the older style diaphragm vacuum pumps.

Another option is to remove entirely and replace with an electric vacuum pump off a newer diesel car / truck.

Rabin

The pump itself is the original one, where many retrofit the older style as its easy to rebuild the older style diaphragm vacuum pumps.

Although I'm pretty sure that is the vacuum pump. I have both the newer and older style and yours doesn't look like either. I would guess that there is another style used on the XD3TE engine that we wouldn't see in North America, and that's what you have.

This is the older rebuildable style

old_V_pump.jpg

And this is the newer non rebuildable style.

new_V_pump.jpg