ZF4HP14 + SQUAWK

billbranch

Hello,

I first heard the noise in a car I was test driving at FMW in Natick MA about six years ago. The saleman told me "it was normal" after a rebuild to hear that noise, which sounds a bit like high-pitched flatulence, and he assured me that, in time, it would go away.

I have about 16K on my rebuild, which, incidentally, is working wonderfully otherwise, and yesterday I heard the squawk on a second to third upshift. (Will it go away?)

I know that Peugeot/ZF issued a bulletin on how to correct it; does anyone here have any info?

Thank you.

that's really weird. i've gone through 5 ZF4HP22's and i've never heard one make the noise your describing. the only noise i remember from the trans was the big thump when manually shifting from 3rd to 4th when the motor unloaded. (and sometimes going into reverse).

let us know what you find out!

that's really weird. i've gone through 5 ZF4HP22's and i've never heard one make the noise your describing. the only noise i remember from the trans was the big thump when manually shifting from 3rd to 4th when the motor unloaded. (and sometimes going into reverse).

let us know what you find out!

I'm calling the guy right now. This is the ZF4HP14 used in the 405S. I am lucky enough to have one of these also.

aaaaaaaaaahh!!! sorry bill, i dont know why the hell i thought you said zf4hp ->22<-... my bad :o

Regardless, Nat at Eriksson said it was nothing to be concerned about, that he'd seen the "fix" and all of that. Apparently it's a valve or something sticking while opening and closing. He recommends DuraLube, the red stuff, and said that if one bottle doesn't solve the problem, I could fill the thing with DL, and it wouldn't make any difference.

It's been 16K since the rebuild, with the dipstick blowing itself out of the tube more than several times, and, as you're doubtless aware, it takes little more than a speck of dirt to cause problems.

Sometime within the next week when I get a surge of enthusiasm, I'll drain out a few quarts and replace them with one bottle of DuraLube red and the remainder Mobil1 synthetic ATF.

As an aside, I've nothing to say but good about Eriksson Industries (www.erikssonindustries.com). They are friendly and knowledgeable, and, apparently were Peugeot's choice to deal with turbo heads as well.