N9TE starter troubles

Guest the505inme

Guest the505inme

So, I finally went out and bought a new battery for the 505, which I prob should have done months ago.

I replaced the terminals, cleaned everything up, and it started instantly. However, now it will only turn over half the time! (I turn the key, and nothing) It will start if I beat the starter on the head, or jump the starter terminals with a screw driver.

(And of course, it usually decides not to start in front of a Starbucks, and/or when there are loads of people walking by......) :D

So I know I have to pull the starter, but has anyone heard of a new battery overwelming an old starter? It started everytime with the old weak battery.

Also, any tips or tricks in pulling the starter out?

ruling out clean tight connections on both the starter and the battery, have you checked the voltage to the single trigger wire going to the starter? does it put out battery voltage when cranking? that's a common one i've seen with these things. sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. when it doesn't, the starter just clicks (almost like a dead battery :D) but doesn't turn over.

most of the time i've seen the ignition switch to be the problem. but there's a starter relay that can go bad as well.

let us know what you find out...