Fuel smell/86 505 Turbo

bryancohnracing

I took my 505 for a drive on Wednesday, filled it with fuel and Sta-Bil before putting it in the shop for the winter. Planning on a full service of fluids/tune up/valve setting/timing plus more.

I go out this morning to get a tool (installing new toilets, how fun) and the garage smells of fuel. Horrible. I open the garage door to air it out, get my tool and go back to finishing up inside.

I've had the car since March, not driven it but maybe 5 miles in that time due to the Miata race car project and other responsibilities. Now that we've finally moved and settled in and the Miata is off having an engine rebuild I've got the winter to focus on the 505.

It had about 1/4 tank of fuel. Took about 9 gallons to fill. I've not had a chance to check it out but plan to tomorrow. Ideas?

Thanks!

FYI, found the leak. Pump is leaking between the metal body of the pump and the actual pump internals, where the two meet. Leaks right at the seam where the metal is crimped. Not a lot, drip, drip, but enough to leave a small 6 inch OD wet spot on the floor in the garage. I can sit and watch it leak, lovely.

1 new pump and a Coke with cheese please! :blink: