Rack&Pinion wanted

Guest EUROTRASH

Guest EUROTRASH

Well, I hear a knocking sound coming from the right side (passenger's), the steering bar on the driver's side seems fine, but the one on the passenger's side is loose, there's some play. I had my mechanic look at it, he thinks that the play is coming from the coupling in the rack & pinion unit. I do see the leak though, I just don't know where is coming from, and I don't know if he's talking nonsense or not... he says I'm better off replacing the whole unit for a new or rebuilt unit.

My car has only 62,000 original miles, but it's the V6 ABS type... notorious for having problems.

Thanks for the help..

Well, I hear a knocking sound coming from the right side (passenger's), the steering bar on the driver's side seems fine, but the one on the passenger's side is loose, there's some play. I had my mechanic look at it, he thinks that the play is coming from the coupling in the rack & pinion unit. I do see the leak though, I just don't know where is coming from, and I don't know if he's talking nonsense or not... he says I'm better off replacing the whole unit for a new or rebuilt unit.

My car has only 62,000 original miles, but it's the V6 ABS type... notorious for having problems.

Thanks for the help..

If you can turn the wheel all the way to the right or what ever way to get the arm to extend and reach in and feel the shaft move then the bushing is bad...

Guest EUROTRASH

If you can turn the wheel all the way to the right or what ever way to get the arm to extend and reach in and feel the shaft move then the bushing is bad...

...in which case, what would be the best thing to do?

-the shaft does move-

Guest EUROTRASH

I replaced the tie rods for new ones not long ago, and I've had really bad experiences with replacements that were not 100% compatible. I think I'll wait until I find an exact match.

Thank you very much your help.