newbie with 83 505 xd2-s

hi wondering if anybody could answer some questions about my 505. diesel

concerning starting a cold engine, i've checked voltage to the glow plugs and all juiced-up to 11 volts, changed glow plugs but still smokes like crazy for 4-5 minutes. i had a toyota diesel which cycled the glow plugs at half the volts after the initial cycle. could my relay be messed up? anyway to test it? i'm going to bleed the lines at the nozzles today. the toyota also had a glow plug in the intake manifold any input on adding a plug on the pug? thanks, bop

one other thing, is that a catalytic converter before the muffler??

Welcome bop, we need to know what time duration takes place with the glow plug relay on cold start ups. Should be no less than 10 seconds and 20 seconds for really cold days. Just time the glow plug relay light in the gauge cluster.The relay isn't servicable and there are replacements. The forward muffler on the diesels is just that, there is no kitty converter. Keep us posted, as the next step would involve checking the injection pump.

Happy motoring from another TD owner, as my youngest son calls ours the "French Fryer" for running bio.

Jeff

Welcome,

Always nice to read from a fellow 505 diesel driver.

Your smoking problem can also be a result of dirty nozzles. I don't know your cars mileage, but when it's over 300.000 and they were never changed or cleaned, it might be time to do it. You can try adding a bottle or two injector cleaner to your fuel. That can do the trick too.

Is the engine running smooth these first 5 minutes or very irregulary?

Welcome bop, we need to know what time duration takes place with the glow plug relay on cold start ups. Should be no less than 10 seconds and 20 seconds for really cold days. Just time the glow plug relay light in the gauge cluster.The relay isn't servicable and there are replacements. The forward muffler on the diesels is just that, there is no kitty converter. Keep us posted, as the next step would involve checking the injection pump.

Happy motoring from another TD owner, as my youngest son calls ours the "French Fryer" for running bio.

Jeff

i live in the northeast, hudson valley of new york state so it is still dropping to around 25 degrees at night. this afternoon i cycled the plugs three time before i started and it still smoked up the block. the first cycled about 20 seconds then they started to get shorter. i bled the lines yesterday and she seems to run better after warmed up. i'm thinking about blowing air through the fuel lines back into tank, checked the filters ....

the thing is she seems to run good warmed up but lugs off the line as if she's set-up for a standard tranny (i got a three speed) so i feelin that it could be slack on the timming chain (??)

i guess i could keep goin double guessing. i had some good results messin with the fuel adjustment on my corolla so i might give that a try. will keep posted thanks for the reply

nate

Welcome,

Always nice to read from a fellow 505 diesel driver.

Your smoking problem can also be a result of dirty nozzles. I don't know your cars mileage, but when it's over 300.000 and they were never changed or cleaned, it might be time to do it. You can try adding a bottle or two injector cleaner to your fuel. That can do the trick too.

Is the engine running smooth these first 5 minutes or very irregulary?

the car only has 113,000 miles so she sat for a much of her 25 years. but maybe some old diesel i've only put 450 milles and it came with a full tank so who knows.

but runs pretty bad for maybe 30 seconds and starts to smooth out as the smoke decrees, like it can't get the momentum and missing on a cylinder, so maybe it is a plugged nozzle.

i do have another question though, this car came with some extra toggle switches added for an alarm and CB radio, don't know if that is the reason but the dash light lights up when i pass throught the accsesory position with my key. so for me to listen to the radio the three light on the right light up and the fan has to be blowing. is that how these cars are wired?

thanks for the response. nate

I agree about some diesel additive cleaner since the car has sat for a bit of time and has more than likely never had any injector maintance ether. Another thing to try is to disconnect the waste gate vacuum on the turbo and plug it. Its tied into to the egr system that over time becomes non-fuctional. Mine went out years ago causing a loss of power and wicked black smoke on acceleration. No issues for the past 100,000 miles, as this turbo application can never achieve over boosting.

Jeff

I agree about some diesel additive cleaner since the car has sat for a bit of time and has more than likely never had any injector maintance ether. Another thing to try is to disconnect the waste gate vacuum on the turbo and plug it. Its tied into to the egr system that over time becomes non-fuctional. Mine went out years ago causing a loss of power and wicked black smoke on acceleration. No issues for the past 100,000 miles, as this turbo application can never achieve over boosting.

Jeff

nice bouncing citroen, i remember seeing one like that when i was a kid and gave me an impression like that of yours. well i've been looking for more information for my diagnostics .. i'm thinking either valve adjustment,timing of i.p., or maybe the nozzle. didn;t think about messin with the turbo though. i'm new to turbos, wouldn't dissconnecting the waste gate over heat the turbo?

i htink that i read in this forum on how to adjust timing on the pump but can't seem to find it any where, anyone direct me to it ... appreciate the help. i'll keep looking, nate

Nate, you won't have an issue with the turbo on these models. The psi boost levels aren't that high. How many miles on the car? Over time you made to adjust the injection pump due to wear in the timing assembly and it only requires a very long 6mm hex socket to loosen the retaining bolts and moving the injection pump ever so slightly. (we can discuss this in more detail if you get to this point)

Try some additive cleaner first, and drive it a bit. If you haven't disconnected the vacuum line to the turbo from the vacuum egr switch, give it a try. Cheapest things first, Jeff

• 4 weeks later...

well i've put an additional 500 miles and adjusted the valves but still get smoke on cold start-up. got new injectors on its way. i seen on you tube s clip of someone installing new injectors on a benz and the difference in the sound of the idle does point to the injector as a possible problem with my 505. we'll see. but in the mean time my exhaust pipe broke after the resonator and the brake pedal sinks to the floor once in a while. i got a new master cylinder on its way but was wondering if i loosened a vacuum hose while adjusting the valves. i do have a though, i find some antifreeze coming out from the back of the block where the cold start cable enters. could that be a reason for my cold start problem?

i'm playing with an idea of adding a small air filter on the intake of the vacuum pump to eliminate the hose from the intake, an input ?

Jeff, i bypassed the egr switch to th eturbo and the car seems to have much more momentum. very nice simple improvement. thanks very much for the tip. but was wondering if the switch need to be replaced or left bypassed. we'll see if it fixes the cold start smoke issues in the morning.

i never thought that i would be driving a peugeot, a friend knew i was into diesels and hooked me up. its been a couple of months now and i'm digging this ride. it reminded me of my first car which was a 69 pontiac lemans, then i found out that peugeot is kicking but in that race. one thing i have been troubling with is "what is a PEUGEOT" ?????? peace nate

Nate, I'd just leave the egr valve disabled.

The cold start or cold idle cable is just that, a thermal sensitive device that will hold the idle speed up during the warm up time. Is the leak around the thermal housing or is it behind the head where theres this wonderful steel expansion plate that over time corrodes.

Jeff

Jeff, although the car seems to run better with the egr dissconnected, i'm having trouble starting the car. even when warm. i finished installing a new brake master cylinder today and when i went to start to see how the brakes felt she wouldn't start ( she sat for 2 hours after 60 miles ). then i noticed exhaust coming back out of the air filter. what i did was connected the vacuum hose from vacuum from the ip directly to the turbo. its back to how it was originally now though, she starts like she did before, smoke when cold but at least she starts. i went ahead and got new nozzles from rock auto, french bosch. but they didn't come with crush washers. can you help me out to what size they are or where i may be able to get them. i'd like to have them when i get the old ones off. or do you htink they are common enough for me to walk up to the hardwqare store and match up what comes out? thanks nate

• 1 month later...

I just had my injectors cleaned on my xd3t. The shop i took them too had the crush washers on hand so if you take the old ones out, and take them to any diesel injector or pump shop they should have them. How much was it for the injectors that you got? I was told that my tips are starting to erode and that they would need to get the new ones from bosch for 60 bucks a hit. Anyways i'm betting money that when you put your new injectors in it will fix it.

I just had my injectors cleaned on my xd3t. The shop i took them too had the crush washers on hand so if you take the old ones out, and take them to any diesel injector or pump shop they should have them. How much was it for the injectors that you got? I was told that my tips are starting to erode and that they would need to get the new ones from bosch for 60 bucks a hit. Anyways i'm betting money that when you put your new injectors in it will fix it.

thanks for the reply i haven't got to replacing the injectors yet. htought hte warmer weather has helped the initial starts it still smokes a bit. i was told that my problem is probebly timing retarding from the timing chain slacking. brian i think it was from holm peugeot explained over the phone how to turn the pump to make up for the slack but i don't have confidence in attempting such. i did have luck tuning a corolla diesel by adjusting the fuel screw and the idle but if someone could help me with advancing the i.p. i would really appreciate it.

rock auto on line is where i got my injectors, and some filters. i htink the injectors were little over 20 bucks a pop.