405 problem areas

Hi-

Would someone please describe for me the nature of the leaky valve guide problem that is known to occur on SOHC 405 models. Also, is there a problem related to oil circulation that leads to premature camshaft wear? Are the two problems related? Do these problems affect all U.S. SOHC 405s, or are later versions better? If so, when did the improved models appear? Can the problems be permanently solved, or are they the sort of problems one must simply live with if owning a SOHC 405?

For years I've heard of problems with SOHC 405 engine, but I've never had anyone spell the whole problem and solution out for me. I'm asking because a 1990 405S S/W 5-spd. has recently been made available to me that I'll likely be taking delivery of next month.

Recently, the following work was done:

- Timing belt & tensioner

- Serpentine belt

- Water pump

- One front wheel bearing and intermediate axle bearing

- Rear main seal

- Clutch

- Front control arm bushings

- Shifter rods

- Cap, rotor, plugs, wires & air filter

- Oxygen sensor

- Headlamp stalk

- Engine & transmission oils

I'm probably leaving a few things out, but that is certainly most of the recent work.

Thanks,

R. Hugh Dana

Alexandria, VA

[email protected]

I'm surprised my questions didn't generate any responses, even after several days. Can I get some sort of feedback from anyone? Do the questions not make sense? Am I referring to problems that aren't as common as I thought? Has anyone else heard of the problems I'm referring to, or have I been given an unfair impression of 405s and their valve guides?

Can someone just reply so that I'll know if my message was posted properly?

Thanks,

R. Hugh Dana

Alexandria, VA

[email protected]

Would someone please describe for me the nature of the leaky valve guide problem that is known to occur on SOHC 405 models. Also, is there a problem related to oil circulation that leads to premature camshaft wear? Are the two problems related?

I'm not aware of any special problems with valve guides in Peugeot's XU motor family. Of course the valve guide "rubber" seals will deteriorate with age. You may have to replace them after 200 000-300 000 kilometers or something like that. But the seals are very cheap and easy to replace too...

About the possible oil circulation problem and camshaft wear. I'm quite sure this is not a common problem but it is true that some people have experienced premature camshaft wear in XU engines. In my Peugeot 309 (1,6 liter, 8 valve XU52C engine) I had to replace the camshaft because (only) the exhaust cam lobe of the 4th cylinder was very worn (about 2 mm!). This happened after 170 000 kilometers, so it was definetely not normal wear. I bought an used camshaft (in good condition) and some other parts. It's still unknown if the wear was caused by an oir circulation problem or if the material of the camshaft was just too soft in the part (that's my guess).

Then there's the cam lube rail but at least in my case it didn't have any blockages when I checked it. Some pictures: xu52c cam lube rail.

Also, there should be some kind of a small filter in the other end of the cylinder head (the head must be removed to access it). Some people have a theory that the plastic (?) filter will deteriorate and small particles will come loose and get stuck inside the cam lube rail.

i have loads of experience with the xu 8 valver engine so i maybe able to help. they do suffer with valve stem seals going hard. its more on a time basis i find. over in england i have seen 30000 mile xu's with smoky engines but there well over 10 years old.

my own 205 gti (xu5ja) had to have the exhaust valve guides replaced when i took the head off at 150000 miles.

they do have an oil strainer in the head and i usually remove it when the heads are removed. my 205 has done 30000 hard miles without it in the head, and it hasnt made a difference to it at all.

i have loads of experience with the xu 8 valver engine so i maybe able to help. they do suffer with valve stem seals going hard. its more on a time basis i find. over in england i have seen 30000 mile xu's with smoky engines but there well over 10 years old.

The material that is used in the seals (Viton, I think, at least nowadays) is probably the same that everyone else uses too. So, that's not a specially Peugeot related problem. I've seen a lot of smoking Japanese and German cars, much younger than most of the Peugeots (yesterday I saw a ~2000 Opel Astra that was burning oil - of course, there can be different reason for that)... In my 1989 309 the original valve stem seals lasted about 17 years and 170 000 kilometers but I've also seen some (newer) XU engine cars that have about 300 000 kilometers and they still don't need new seals. So, it really looks like the time is the essence. Some of the seals of my 309 literally disintegrated to pieces when I removed them...

Thanks for the tip regarding the strainer, I'll remove it when I'll take the cylinder head off for the first time in some distant future (I hope ;-D).

I don't have that much personal experience with XU engines yet but I do need to take care of a XU10J2 (405), a XU7JP (306) and the XU52C (309) engine car. From what I can tell, they seem to be quite good engines. Even the 92 hp XU52C with Solex 34/34 Z1 carburator is very nice engine and with it the lightweight (900 kg) 309 XL is really fun to drive.

Old valve stem seals:

post-42-1177720002.jpg

New valve stem seals:

post-42-1177720013.jpg

The original used Peugeot camshaft is on the left and the good "new" camshaft is on the right. In this picture, both of the cam lobes are in good condition like they should be. Cam lobes of the original camshaft have a bevelled fringe.

post-42-1177720607.jpg

These two pictures clearly show how worn the exhaust cam lobe of the 4th cylinder was, at least 2 mm missing:

post-42-1177720056.jpg

post-42-1177720065.jpg