Weight.

Guest adegnes

Did you remove all the soundproofing material too?

The 505TI "throphee" had a weight of 1000kg.

The easiest way to find out is to weigh everything you've taken out from the car and subtract it for your kerb weight it your registation-paper.

That should give you an decent estimate.

Guest adegnes

I'm not quite finnished yet, but when I am, all the soundproofing material will be gone.

Removed the roof's "carpet" to, and will get rid of the sunroof (weld it shut, and remove all of it's components)

I'd suppose the weight loss will have a slight positive effect on performance (will install some seat's thoug...)

• 3 weeks later...

If you could make the hood from some fiber material, that would help alot. The hood of 505 weighs a ton... :) Replacing the stock exhaust manifold will save you some weight. Also if you have the air horns, ditch them an install an electric device. The biggest muffler weighs a ton also, I'd suggest to get rid of all mufflers, the sound is not bad at all.

Guest adegnes

Would be cool to try out, not shure about how to make the molds though...

how do you think fiberglass would work? maybe too heavy... I know carbonfiber would be the best solution, but it's damn expensive, and with my experience with fabricating stuff in fiber (=none) I'd suppose there would be alot of trying and failing...

I think it could work well, if you use wowen glassfiber fabric, not the usual "mat", and good quality (light) resin.

Maybe laminating some sort of thin honeycomb core in the middle of the fibre layers would make the structure even stiff enough, so other supporting parts wouldn't be needed. I don't have any experience on working with fibers either, so I cannot give you any hands-on-tips.

http://shop.ezentrum.de/4DCGI/ezshop?hid=27&sprachnr=2

^there you can find all kinds of fibers and accessories. :)

Guest adegnes

I'll see if I can find any "boat people" around where I live, those guys use to have experience in making stuff out of fiber...

If I could learn how it's done (Or get someone to do it cheap), I could get both wide fenders (front and back) and hood fabricarted from fiber... That would have been sweeeet! :)

Anyone done this or simmilar before? (nice one's one the white racecar in the picture section of this page)

It'll take alot of fabric to make both the molds and the actual body parts... wonder how much that fiberglass stuff costs?

Guest SEA505

I had a 1985 505 Turbo that I took alot of weight out of. I took the back seats out, headliner, A/C, trunk lining, spare tire, spare tire holder, carpeting, door panels, stereo, insulation, speakers and other odds and ends. That car was a real blast to drive. Took it up to 135mph once a week for a year on the express lanes in Seattle at night thinking it was good for the motor. The biggest downside I felt, was that the car ride height rose up, oh I don't know, about an inch or so. Taking out all that weight raised the ride height, and therefore equaled more roll, compression on braking, etc. It was louder too. I also remember getting really irritated because the rear end would break really easily being so light. Got into a couple of scary situations on snowy and rainy nights. I even took the muffler off every couple of weeks. It's easy to take off and it weights quite a bit. Overall it was really fast, and fun to drive, but it was a incinerator in the summer. If you would like to see pics of it let me know and I can send them to you.

Philippe

Seattle

Guest adegnes

I had a 1985 505 Turbo that I took alot of weight out of. I took the back seats out, headliner, A/C, trunk lining, spare tire, spare tire holder, carpeting, door panels, stereo, insulation, speakers and other odds and ends. That car was a real blast to drive. Took it up to 135mph once a week for a year on the express lanes in Seattle at night thinking it was good for the motor. The biggest downside I felt, was that the car ride height rose up, oh I don't know, about an inch or so. Taking out all that weight raised the ride height, and therefore equaled more roll, compression on braking, etc. It was louder too. I also remember getting really irritated because the rear end would break really easily being so light. Got into a couple of scary situations on snowy and rainy nights. I even took the muffler off every couple of weeks. It's easy to take off and it weights quite a bit. Overall it was really fast, and fun to drive, but it was a incinerator in the summer. If you would like to see pics of it let me know and I can send them to you.

Philippe

Seattle

Sounds cool... Post some pics!

Maybe the weight distribution should be altered as well. A stock 505 has a little more weight on the front end than the rear. If you remove spare tire, mufflers etc. it can make the distribution even more front-biased.

The battery is easy to relocate in the trunk, and helps quite a bit. But are there any other items that can be moved rearwards?

Guest adegnes

Maybe the weight distribution should be altered as well. A stock 505 has a little more weight on the front end than the rear. If you remove spare tire, mufflers etc. it can make the distribution even more front-biased.

The battery is easy to relocate in the trunk, and helps quite a bit. But are there any other items that can be moved rearwards?

Hmm...

Maybe with a lightweight, fiber hood and front fenders you could get it more even... also a half rollcage would add some weight in the center to back region...

A small trunk spoiler could provide enough downforce to eliminate the weight ratio problem...

Guest SEA505

But are there any other items that can be moved rearwards?

I think what would be ideal is if the radiator could be moved behind seats, basically above the footwells. In this case the top should be tilted back so the radiator is at a close to 45 degree angle. Air would come from a low profile hood scoop, go through the radiator, and be vented out through the bottom. So the bottom sheet metal would have to worked so air flows out therought the bottom of the car. It would nearly all be enclosed. I was going to do this on my 85 505 turbo, but it died and I forgot about it. It would also leave a lot of room up front for an intercooler.