Wow, breaking down twice in one week

I purchased my 504 last weekend and drove it home 300 miles without a problem.  Since then I had a short shift linkage fall off and was able to drive home in 4th gear.  Last night the large 12" linkage fell off no gears.  Pushed the car into a parking lot myself and my wife Brought be my large floor Jack ( it weighs more than her).   I was able to put in on and shift only into second (as it will fall off again ). And drove about a mile home in second.   I have owned a Citroen CX, Peugeot 505, 2 Alfa Romeo and never broke down before.  Still love the car but getting tired of redicolous break downs.

i thought these 504 were built like tanks?

If it's any consolation, my first 505 had one of the shift linkage bushings let go after shifting into 3rd on the freeway.  Had to do the same thing you did (crawl under, jam it in 2nd, drive 18 miles home like that).  After 30-odd years, stuff will just wear out - though that did happen to me about 16 years ago, so you've done better than I did on bushing lifespan ;)

Unfortunately, the shift linkage bushings on these cars (meaning the 504 & 505) is kind of a known weak spot.  I've been looking at Bryan's thread on his heim joint upgrade and am wondering if that couldn't basically be done almost all the way back - basically, replace the existing rods with heim joints, threaded rods, and lock nuts.  Next time I've got the car completely off the ground I'll take a look, but it might be an option.  Probably more work than it's worth, though, until the world's supply of linkage bushings is exhausted.