Downloadable 405 & 505 diagnostic procedure PDFs

casm

Final crosspost to the various North American Peugeot sites / groups / lists about this one... I promise :)

Since there are more than a few of us on here who would benefit from this, I've uploaded two documents in PDF format to Dropbox that may be of use. The PDFs aren't searchable so you'll have to scroll to the relevant section, but that shouldn't be a big deal.

Download link is at the end of the message, but you may want to skim the descriptions to get a rough idea of what the content of the documents is.

1) 405 & 505 Diagnostic and Test Procedures.pdf: this is a guide to pretty much every electrical connector on the car that matters, how to pull and interpret the CEL and ABS codes, and more. Page numbers in the table of contents don't really have any bearing on the numbers on the pages themselves, but that's no big deal. Areas covered:

- LU-Jetronic ECU Tests for the N9T/N9TA/N9TEA and ZDJL 505s.

- LH-Jetronic ECU Tests for the ZN3J 505s.

- Motronic ECU tests for the XU9J2 and XU9J4 405s.

- Climate Control on 505s and 405s.

- 505 ABS System (Teves).

- 405 ABS System (Bosch)*.

- 505 Variable-ratio Power Steering.

* This section was particularly invaluable to me since I've had an ABS light on for several months and haven't wanted to take the throw-parts-at-it-and-see-what-sticks approach to troubleshooting it. At least now I can have some starting points to look at before hurting the wallet again. If you've got a 405 with ABS, this might also be of interest to you.

2) 405 CEL Code Retrieval Procedures.pdf: how to pull and interpret the CEL codes from the 405's ECU. Can't remember who sent this to me originally, but thank you - it was really useful for chasing down an intermittent code 34 a few months back.

- The document is headlined for the XU9J2 (8-valve) engine, but the procedures are exactly the same for the XU9J4 (16-valve).

- No TAD99 tester is required to pull the codes; it explains how to do this by grounding a pin on the diagnostic connector. I found that a really long piece of wire to the strut tower bolts worked well since it put me close enough to the CEL to be able to read the codes from it.

Enjoy. As promised at the start, the link is:

https://tinyurl.com/405-505-Diagnostic-Procedures