ZF 4HP 22

Guest Allan Sheridan

Guest Allan Sheridan

Hi - serious problems with this beast - won't change up from 1st for around 3km when cold (OK - 1.8 miles for you guys!) and then behaves like a dog - wanders up and down between gears depending on how much acceleration I'm after (and always wrong way!) then settles down. Most recent trick (which is why I'm here now) is refusal to select neutral or reverse, in both those positions it engages the forward gears.

Suggestions? I've already thought of helping it become an artificial reef, but these transmissions are hard to find down under (wonder why?) so probably will have to fix it.

Cheers,

Allan

Guest the505inme

Are you sitting down? Do you have your cheque book ready? It sounds like your ZF is dead. Some with the same car/auto box have had luck flushing the entire system under pressure, change the filter and re fill with Mobil 1 synth trans fluid. Most, me included, just end up rebuilding the trans and forget about miricle cures.

What color is the tranny fluid? If it's not red, it's dead.

Check the kick down cable and all assoc. linkages, as these may affect shifting. Also crawl under the car and check the shift linkage.

However, auto trans are wear items, like clutches on manual cars, and these particular ZF units stink. (Try a google search)

Pre 87 ZF's have an internal fault which almost garantees their failure before 200km. A good rebuilder will know this and be able to modify accordingly.

Be wary of 2nd hand trannies, unless they were recently rebuilt properly and have low low miles.

Or course, you could always turn your car in to a 5 spd, as long as you have lots of time on your hands and a complete 5 spd parts car.....

Good luck! LEt us know how it goes.

Guest Allan Sheridan

I was sitting down and I still have my sense of humor, so - - -

For amusement it now has developed a new trick. The first permutation was the previous logging, but now it's even better!! Goes into reverse and neutral but won't go into the forward gears!!

So - - . A rebuild quote locally is over $2300 - this is more than the car is currently worth. The idea of back flushing under pressure with kerosine of something to clean it out is probably where we'll go next, since the fluid ain't red when I drag it out. However - what 5 speed would fit this beast out of interest? I've not heard of that option and would appreciate some further details.

Thanks for the honest news.

Cheers

Allan

Guest the505inme

I was sitting down and I still have my sense of humor, so - - -

For amusement it now has developed a new trick. The first permutation was the previous logging, but now it's even better!! Goes into reverse and neutral but won't go into the forward gears!!

So - - . A rebuild quote locally is over $2300 - this is more than the car is currently worth. The idea of back flushing under pressure with kerosine of something to clean it out is probably where we'll go next, since the fluid ain't red when I drag it out. However - what 5 speed would fit this beast out of interest? I've not heard of that option and would appreciate some further details.

Thanks for the honest news.

Cheers

Allan

Best is that you find a 505 gas turbo manual with a bad body or motor, and switch it up. Get in touch w/ your local Peugeot club, if you hav'nt already. Iv'e seen a really cool Ausie Peug web site, Aussie Frogs .com or something. They may even lead you to a nice zf 4 hp22!

BTW, how many km on your beast?