1986 505 TD XD3T- won`t idle but ok at higher revs when moving then dies

jerro

Hi everyone, haven`t posted in a while as i haven`t had any problems! Wanted to ask about my latest problem on my 1986 505 TD Xd3t engine please. She has been running fine for a long time but yesterday she started to play up. When driving along she goes fine when you start off under acceleration but when you hit the first stop of the day she loses rpm`s as you slow down and cuts out. When you start her again she won`t idle but if you push down on the acceleator she will keep running but when you move off again then slow down she dies again. Feels like a fuel problem as the engine is fine, valve adjustment good and no other problems. A new fuel filter was put in 1000 miles ago.

The only thing i can add is that i thought it might be air in the filter/fuel line and pumped the button on top of the fuel filter after loosening the air bleed screw. Air bubbles kept coming out while i pumped and the thing that i noticed more was that diesel was coming out from the base of the black button that you have to pump to bleed the system of air- !

Any ideas on this one please?--If the diesel coming out from the base of the black button is wrong is it possible to fit a new diaphram underneath it as i assume that the old one is perished or do you have to buy a complete new filter unit?--Any advice much appreciated as always. Couple of pictures attached to show filter unit and black pump button on top!--Thanks--Jerro

post-1154-0-47911700-1368142737_thumb.jppost-1154-0-24923200-1368142785_thumb.jppost-1154-0-06565500-1368142934_thumb.jp

Jerro, the diaphram is cracked and is in need of replacement. Very simple to do as the the diaphram comes in a kit with the plastic plunger, spring and housing. The housing isn't worth salvaging as it is retained with clips the are cripped onto the casting of the fuel filter housing. There are 4 of these tabs in which 3 are visable and used due to the pump casting interference on the top located on the back sideside of the black plastic plunger. I just changed one out on my unfunded project. Easy to do in 15 minutes while having the filter assembly out of the car.

The original part number for the kit is 1911.39

Also known as a PURFLUX TOP KIT :)

I was close to your area a couple of weeks ago in Bellevue.

Jeff

Jerro, the diaphram is cracked and is in need of replacement. Very simple to do as the the diaphram comes in a kit with the plastic plunger, spring and housing. The housing isn't worth salvaging as it is retained with clips the are cripped onto the casting of the fuel filter housing. There are 4 of these tabs in which 3 are visable and used due to the pump casting interference on the top located on the back sideside of the black plastic plunger. I just changed one out on my unfunded project. Easy to do in 15 minutes while having the filter assembly out of the car.

The original part number for the kit is 1911.39

Also known as a PURFLUX TOP KIT :)

Jeffs

I got the kit from WH a year or so ago and as Jeff states it is a quick fix. I recommend removing the housing from the car. You might be able to do it in the car but I think the overall effort will be less to take it out, replace the diaphragm and if needed the filter, and then put the assembly back in.