2.1 L turbos questions

Guest boostthis

Guest boostthis

ok my name is eric i live in eastern washington i was givin a 75 504 GLD and i love it to death it runs great but the performance of the n/a 2.1 L wasnt up to snuff for me i work for the local john deere dealer so i just happen to have access to a small garrett turbo off a 2.9L 3 cyl tractor i put it on and the performance increase was pretty good but its running 15 psi boost i have read and have been told that im gonna blow it up with that much is it ok? is there a thicker head gasket that i can put on to lower the compression so it will live its my daily driver... also is it possible to "turn up" the stock injection pump i know my motor is in good shape it fires right up no matter what the outside temp no smoking unless i really get on it hard but then its just a little puff i want it to smoke a good amount until the boost kicks in also what is the firing order because i also have access to an injection pump from a turboed 4.5 L it might be cool i dunno yet if the drive will work becasue its a gear drive i dont wanna spend a bunch of money because i am building a vw bug autocross car and i need to spend money there also is there a 5 speed tranny the will bolt in my car or higher ring and pinion that would give me lower rpm @ 70 thats the speed limit around here and since im gettin more power i could get better economy if it wanst tached out all the time any help would be apreciated please email me @ [email protected]

Don't mean to be rude, but it would be much easier to read if there were dots, capital letters etc. :)

You don't need a thicker head gasket or any other form of compression ratio altering with a diesel. Just keep your eye on the engine thermometer, because the thermal load of a diesel engine increases as you increase the boost & the feeding.

The firing order is almost certainly 1 3 4 2 as in any other 4-cyl. Check how the fuel lines are at the end of the distributor pump, I assume it is a distributor type.

It is possible to increase the fuel feeding, but mainly black smoke means just unburnt fuel -> you need more air to the engine -> increase boost. Some guys here in Finland drive their vdubs with 1-1.5bar (15-20something psi I guess) boost, completely stock engine.