Question for California 505 owners

andrethx

Hi all, I'm new to the forum. I'm a Southern California resident (West Los Angeles). I've never owned a Peugeot, but I've always liked them. My brother-in-law had a 505 turbo around 89-90 and it was a great car.

I had been thinking about getting a 505 for a while, when I looked around (eBay and craigslist), it seemed like there were a few cars available. I discussed it with my wife and got spousal approval; since then I've been looking for a suitable car but it seems like hardly any are available now!

I'd certainly prefer a later car, but I'd be happy with something clean and fix-able. I enjoy working on cars, and I have the resources to have things professionally done when the tasks exceed my skills. Here's what I'm wondering:

In my search for a 505, I had been thinking that I would pretty much need to get a car already registered in CA because of the age of the car & the emissions laws we have here. Is this true? Do you Cali owners have any experience with registering cars from out of state? I'd appreciate any info anyone has...

Thanks in advance

Andre

IF you wait around a little bit, something is sure to come up. There are always nice 505's, v6, sti, turbo, diesel, etc, floating around the state. my car always passes smog on a dime, even easier than my bimmer.

Thanks for the encouragement. I guess it's a zen thing -- when the driver is truly ready, the car will appear...

Welcome to the disease fold Andre! :D

I really can't tell you what it is about them, but their old tag line from back in the day "If you know about Peugeot - you either have one, or you want one..." is absolutely spot on. (Terrible failure as an advert slogan though)

Only thing I wanted to mention was that you really should consider a V6 5-sp as well. Dick Borio on Peugeot-L was selling a gorgeous 5-sp car a while back... If interested PM me and I will e-mail you his write up on it and his contact info... I always consider care of a car over mileage and such - and this one is cherry... (Asking $5k, worth every cent, has higher miles - but is in amazing condition) Assuming it hasn't sold yet....)

V6 cars are really nice drivers, less high strung than the turbo's, but still have great power bands. They also enjoy better engine parts availability than the N9TE turbo motors...

If you must have a turbo though - buy the best one you can. I've got three (85', 86' and 89') - and when they're right, there's hardly a car out there I'd rather drive, and nothing in it's price range that can touch them...

Rabin

Dick Borio on Peugeot-L was selling a gorgeous 5-sp car a while back...

thanks for the kind welcome, rabin, also thanks for the tip on Dick Borio's car. I had joined Peugeot-L a while back so after i read your post i did a search for "borio" and found the info. unfortunately, that car, as nice as it is, is in connecticut. i'm in los angeles, so the logistics would make the deal difficult (if it is even still possible). additionally, i'd still be faced with the smog test issue that prompted me to write in the first place. norcal says that there are decent cars to be had now and then inside the state, so i'm going to keep looking.

one of the things that's great about california is that we have a lot of cars here. of course, that's also one of the things that sucks about california...

andre

I'm sure you'll find a fine example in Cali - just hold out and buy the best one you can... An additional 1 or 2 thousand at initial purchase can usually buy that extra special cherry car that's been well maintained...

It's WELL worth your money to buy that type of car rather than a fixer upper for your first car... It also makes it WAY easier to justify to the wife when the car is a pristine example that you can enjoy and just maintain... (My wife loves travelling in the 505's as they're so comfy)

You'll still have ample opportunity to work on it - but it'll be fun stuff that doesn't take the car off the road for weeks at a time...

Rabin

• 1 month later...

I'm sure you'll find a fine example in Cali - just hold out and buy the best one you can... An additional 1 or 2 thousand at initial purchase can usually buy that extra special cherry car that's been well maintained...

It's WELL worth your money to buy that type of car rather than a fixer upper for your first car... It also makes it WAY easier to justify to the wife when the car is a pristine example that you can enjoy and just maintain... (My wife loves travelling in the 505's as they're so comfy)

You'll still have ample opportunity to work on it - but it'll be fun stuff that doesn't take the car off the road for weeks at a time...

Rabin

Update:

thinking about Fernando's car, getting bummed I still don't have a 505

thinking about salvage title issue, have seen cars on eBay with salvage titles

researched salvage title issue to see how CA treats them (answer -- fairly liberally)

went to CA DMV site, read about registering out-of-state cars in CA

saw mention of 50-state cars. googled "50 state peugeot 505" and found like to this forum (http://www.505turbo.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=22)

noted that some years/variants of 505s were 50-state as indicated by VIN

sent an email to Dick Borio, asked him if his car was still available & if it was 50-state

also -- does anyone know anything about this car that just showed up on eBay?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1985-PEUGEO...6#ht_500wt_1182

Thanks,

Andre

also -- does anyone know anything about this car that just showed up on eBay?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1985-PEUGEO...6#ht_500wt_1182

It looks like it's in nice shape for sure, but the 2L with the 3-sp is a bit of a dog. The car also has metric TRX tires (390mm) which I personally like very much in the dry, but are pretty much unobtainium, and when you do find them, they're crazy expensive.

I'd only get a later 4-sp automatic car, and only in a turbo or V6 if I had to get an auto, or if the car was pristine.

If the car is really nice, and goes super cheap, 5-sp swaps are easy. 15" wheels are also pretty easy to find.

Why not bid on the ex-SCCA race 505 on e-bay that Bill built... :)

Rabin

It looks like it's in nice shape for sure, but the 2L with the 3-sp is a bit of a dog. The car also has metric TRX tires (390mm) which I personally like very much in the dry, but are pretty much unobtainium, and when you do find them, they're crazy expensive.

I'd only get a later 4-sp automatic car, and only in a turbo or V6 if I had to get an auto, or if the car was pristine.

If the car is really nice, and goes super cheap, 5-sp swaps are easy. 15" wheels are also pretty easy to find.

Why not bid on the ex-SCCA race 505 on e-bay that Bill built... :)

Rabin

Thanks for the info, Rabin.

I saw Bill's car on eBay the other day. I got the biggest kick out of imagining my wife's face when i showed up with a race car..."That's a roll bar, honey..." :)

Andre, keep your head up. You should *seriously* try Northern California, specifically the Bay Area. Yesterday I was driving through Berkeley and saw 4 Peugeots other than mine. Berkeley, as a city, is home to many forgotten brands/cars. Keep your eye on SF Bay area craigs!

will do, that's a good tip

andre

Andre, I use this search engine to scan Craigslist for just about anything:

http://www.searchtempest.com/

Your in a good area of the state to locate a 505 near you or the SF bay area.

There will be months without a post and then there will be a slough of them. So check constantly.

I've seen more V6 versions over other models since owning these fine cars.

I'm on my last and final one to own, number 15. Some of the varieties I have had have been discussed here.

I no longer have spousal approval for another and they seem to find me anyway!

I'll keep an eye out for ya

Andre, I use this search engine to scan Craigslist for just about anything:

http://www.searchtempest.com/

Your in a good area of the state to locate a 505 near you or the SF bay area.

There will be months without a post and then there will be a slough of them. So check constantly.

I've seen more V6 versions over other models since owning these fine cars.

I'm on my last and final one to own, number 15. Some of the varieties I have had have been discussed here.

I no longer have spousal approval for another and they seem to find me anyway!

I'll keep an eye out for ya

Thanks for the tip, Jeff.

I heard back from Dick Borio, his '87 STX is still available for $5,500 (firm). Rabin, you were right -- Jesus, it's like the car was brought here in a time machine. From the pictures, it looks like it's about a year or two old, not what you'd expect from a 23-year-old car with 188k miles on it. It would be difficult and expensive (if not impossible) to get a more typical 505 to look as good as Dick's, so in that sense it's a huge bargain...even including the $1k it would take to get it to LA.

Unfortunately, I can't tell from the VIN if it's a 50-state car or a 49-state car. I asked Dick to check the emissions sticker under the hood and I'm going to see if I can do more research on the VIN to see what I can find. I'll let you guys know how it turns out. In the meantime, I'll keep looking. I was going to go to Dubarr in Huntington Beach later this week but I got a new case at work so it'll have to wait until next week...

Thanks again for all the good advice, everyone.

Andre

If I wasn't already so entrenched in 505 Turbo's, and was starting out fresh - I'd go the V6 route for sure. Parts availability for the V6 is MUCH better with all the other cars that ran versions of the motor.

If you really wanted more power - they even take very well to boost and make ridiculous power if you wanted too - but standard out of the box they are a fantastic drive with great linear power and they sound good too.

V6 5-sp would be very high on my list - and Dick's car defies logic when you look at the mileage and the condition of the car inside and out. Very much worth the $5500 in my opinion - especially when you know the car had that kind of care from day 1. You just can't buy cars like that very often that are 23 years old.

Rabin

If I wasn't already so entrenched in 505 Turbo's, and was starting out fresh - I'd go the V6 route for sure. Parts availability for the V6 is MUCH better with all the other cars that ran versions of the motor.

If you really wanted more power - they even take very well to boost and make ridiculous power if you wanted too - but standard out of the box they are a fantastic drive with great linear power and they sound good too.

V6 5-sp would be very high on my list - and Dick's car defies logic when you look at the mileage and the condition of the car inside and out. Very much worth the $5500 in my opinion - especially when you know the car had that kind of care from day 1. You just can't buy cars like that very often that are 23 years old.

Rabin

The more research and reading I do, the more I'm kind of homing in on my ideal 505. I like the later interior, plus having ABS would increase the WAF (rarity of parts notwithstanding). As far as the transmission, I could go either way but if I got an AT I would of course prefer the 4-speed. I also like the idea of the V6, since I'm looking for a daily driver. So I guess this means that I'm (ideally) looking for an STI or an STX...

Hey, speaking of time machines, isn't the PRV V6 that's in the 505s a version of the engine that was in the DeLorean?

Andre

Hey, speaking of time machines, isn't the PRV V6 that's in the 505s a version of the engine that was in the DeLorean?

Andre

It is indeed... The Delorean dudes have done an incredible job of supporting it as well... Lots of parts availabe through them for it.

Rabin

Guest marekporay

Hi Andre,

We have a 505 Peugeot for sale which only has 5,000 miles on the newly refurbished engine, clutch and shocks. It's a California car. Please call if you want more info. Thank you, Marek

650 328 5801

Hi Andre,

We have a 505 Peugeot for sale which only has 5,000 miles on the newly refurbished engine, clutch and shocks. It's a California car. Please call if you want more info. Thank you, Marek

650 328 5801

Marek, thanks for your reply. I've recently run into some problems here which effectively put me out of the market for a 505 until late January or early February of next year. I have heard good things about your car, I wish you the best of luck in the meantime.

Andre

:)