Alpine a310 PRV

Guest glen

Guest glen

Hi !!

It has been a while sins last time. My 3,0 12V prv engine has been startet up for the firts time, after many times trying.

I have built in the Mega squirt and completly new weriing. It has been givin us a bit of trobble bot was sorlved at last after some time. I was verry glad to hear the sound of the engine the first time. it sounds verry nice and potent. from now on we have to tune in the engine propre.

Sorry but refiring to the one with the twin turbo 2,8L duing only 240bhp...hmm, I would be verry desopointed

if I only had 240 bhp with twin turbo.

350 bhp with a 12V... Good luck! :P

Sorry, I'm not trying to make you funny, but don't forget that the PRV isn't made at all for power, but for torque (90% of max torque between 3000 & 6000 rpm on the 3L).

If you really want power (with a PRV), you should buy a 24V PRV (408bhp with two turbos, special rods and pistons, modified cylinderheads, racing exhaust and perfect settings)

350HP with a turbo is very attainable actually with a 12V PRV.

John Lane in the US is currently rally racing a Volvo with a turbo PRV in it and it's an absolute monster for power. Apparently the engine LOVES boost and has no trouble making obscene power. His biggest relibility issue is to keep the drivetrain behind the motor together!

Rabin

Is it a monster for power or for torque? :P

Of course, more torque mean pore power, but what i mean is:

an engine developping 240hp at 9000rpm (honda S2000) is a monster of power

Charger R/T440's engine is a monster of torque, whereas it develops something like 390hp, it's made for torque.

Some engines are made for torque, some are made for power, but on the road, the result can be the same (depends on your gearbox).

The PRV don't fear being boosted, the 3L 12V twinturbos (267hp) isn't different from the non-turbocharged (167hp) except pistons and exhaust valves, but over 6500 rpm, you damage your PRV.

Geoffrenchy,

I think your comparison is a bit flawed.

The maximum torque on a N/A engine is pretty much set by the displacement of the engine. The Honda S2000's has a displacement of 2L and the R/T 440's has 7.2L, hence the R/T 440 engine has alot more torque.

When you say that an engine is made for torque you really mean that it has more power on lower rpm then the engine you say is made for power.

Torque is not so interesting when you have a gearbox and differential axle attached to the engine, you can basicly get how high torque you want on the wheels, but without enough power you won't be moving.

Like Archimedes said: “Give me a place to stand and with a lever I will move the whole world.”

Glen,

Are you using stock pistons and rods now?

If you are, perhaps you could remove some material off the top of the pistons to get down the compression ratio? Otherwise it would only be safe to run something like 0.2-0.3 bar boost, and you won't be making 350hp with that.

A lever is the best way to improve... torque. :P

What I wanted to say was this: (nevermind displacement)

_Honda S2000 : 4valve/cylinder, VTEC system, high rpm engine

_Charger : 2valve/cylinder, central camshaft, slow engine

This was just an example.

But concerning the PRV, the fact is that I've been working on it for years, as a hobby, and I graduated as an engineer, speciallized in engine tuning...

Yep, different application but the same thinking applies to gear ratios.

I understand what you mean, but I simply think it's wrong to call them "built for torque/power", since it really isn't the case, as you should know if you graduated as an engineer specialized in tuning engines. :P

The only time torque in the engine is interesting is if you have a constant load and a constant gear ratio.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest glen

Yep, different application but the same thinking applies to gear ratios.

I understand what you mean, but I simply think it's wrong to call them "built for torque/power", since it really isn't the case, as you should know if you graduated as an engineer specialized in tuning engines. :D

The only time torque in the engine is interesting is if you have a constant load and a constant gear ratio.

Hallo you all !!

Here is a little video of the car and the new engine in it. It is not perfect tuned in yet, but i think you see the picture. No Turbo, and still i would race most turbo prv, any time.

No Turbo rocks.

Have a nice day.

Very nice! Car sounds awesome under load... :D

What is the weight of your car? I'm guessing with the light weight, engine on the rear wheels, acceleration must be quite firece!

Nice work and can't wait to see more vids...

BTW - Thanos in Greece is running an ex-works 504 coupe with a PRV in it making ~250 HP NA - is yours similar?

Rabin

• 4 weeks later...

untitled.bmpHello gents,

Been reading your forum for a while now, and aussiefrogs too. All in the search for info about the PRV V6. Much is written, a pity its not collated together. PRV site of Perti in finland is useful as is a search of the aussiefrog forums about TT PRV V6. Of all the writings John Lanes must stand out as the most informative, his formula tried and tested to destruction.

I am trying to find out the price of the forged pistons and conrods John has been able to source. Rabin, I think you have said you have some contact.

After 6 years with a 2664 oddfire v6 and 3 speed auto (gm th180) in the original 604 sl I have garnered together a 505 V6 (170 bhp 2.85 litre peugeot / volvo - the same?), twinturbos on the way and an eagle premier motor waiting in PA. (Stateside) for collection. I once found a 3.5 liter set of pistons and liners but it was for a lotus conversion if i recall and very expensive.

Any leads in this matter are most appreciated. :lol:

Royce in London

• 2 weeks later...

untitled.bmpHello gents,

Been reading your forum for a while now, and aussiefrogs too. All in the search for info about the PRV V6. Much is written, a pity its not collated together. PRV site of Perti in finland is useful as is a search of the aussiefrog forums about TT PRV V6. Of all the writings John Lanes must stand out as the most informative, his formula tried and tested to destruction.

I am trying to find out the price of the forged pistons and conrods John has been able to source. Rabin, I think you have said you have some contact.

After 6 years with a 2664 oddfire v6 and 3 speed auto (gm th180) in the original 604 sl I have garnered together a 505 V6 (170 bhp 2.85 litre peugeot / volvo - the same?), twinturbos on the way and an eagle premier motor waiting in PA. (Stateside) for collection. I once found a 3.5 liter set of pistons and liners but it was for a lotus conversion if i recall and very expensive.

Any leads in this matter are most appreciated. :huh:

Royce in London

Hi Royce,

If you're looking at restifying the 604 I'd also suggest upgrading to the 4HP22 4-sp auto for the later V6's if you can find it. Post 88' trannies should be fine, and if you're going to be pushing a lot of HP through it a good tranny shop should be able to beef up the torque converter and the tranny.

As for the V6 parts - I've contacted John Lane and he was going to give me a price on pistons and rods for it, as well as the total rebuild cost as he was about to redo another motor... Haven't heard back - and have since decided to stick with the N9TE turbo 4 for now... There was a guy that posted his DeLorean project and John Lane supplied his pistons and rods for ~$2000US I believe. (even better deal with current exchange rates for you!)

If you need an address for John let me know - I think I still have it somewhere...

Rabin

• 3 months later...

350HP with a turbo is very attainable actually with a 12V PRV.

John Lane in the US is currently rally racing a Volvo with a turbo PRV in it and it's an absolute monster for power. Apparently the engine LOVES boost and has no trouble making obscene power. His biggest relibility issue is to keep the drivetrain behind the motor together!

Rabin

I would say its possible; assuming the information I have is correct.

Cross bolted main caps

Forged steel crank

Forged rods

In other words a very tough lower end.

However, does anyone know how many bolts per cylinder they have ? This could be what could hurt it and make it lift the heads under high boost.

• 4 months later...

Hi All

He is going for 1100-1200 bhp on a PRV 3,0 v6 24v.

To geoffrenchy !!

Sorry to inform you that Prv 3,0 v6 12v can make up to 800bhp.

Over 300bhp in a 3,5 24valve PRV, no turbo.

• 4 months later...
Guest glen

post-313-1247055591.jpg

Hi All

He is going for 1100-1200 bhp on a PRV 3,0 v6 24v.

To geoffrenchy !!

Sorry to inform you that Prv 3,0 v6 12v can make up to 800bhp.

Over 300bhp in a 3,5 24valve PRV, no turbo.

• 8 years later...