New Peugeot Rebuilt Engines?

norcal505

no way in hell they would have N9TEA engines. at this point, if i were to buy an engine that was rebuilt, i'd want it be done by a reputable mechanic. like, the guy who built the race engine that's in victor's "red". yeah, the engine that was supposed to last only a few races, but has been going for over 100k? and it's still the smoothest power / fastest (by far) stock 505 i've ever driven in.

yeah, i'd like to shake that dude's hand.

• 2 weeks later...

no way in hell they would have N9TEA engines. at this point, if i were to buy an engine that was rebuilt, i'd want it be done by a reputable mechanic. like, the guy who built the race engine that's in victor's "red". yeah, the engine that was supposed to last only a few races, but has been going for over 100k? and it's still the smoothest power / fastest (by far) stock 505 i've ever driven in.

yeah, i'd like to shake that dude's hand.

Anything you know he did different/unique? Victor?

Mitch Wright, who ironically became the tech official for SCCA, built it. As he knew that SCCA was going to disqualify any engine that was touched at all he said he only built it "loose". What does that mean? I'm not 100% sure but he did say that you could turn the crank of the short block by hand. I had dto buy around 18 pistons to get 4 that weighted less than 1/4 grahm differance. I believe that the rods are the ones without the oil squirters as then the piston doesn't have to move the resultant oil out of the way. The squirters were supposed to reduce the heat in the pistons (read detonation) but apparently that's not an issue as Red has put 100,000 miles on that engine that was supposed to last just long enought to cross the finish line.

Over the years since 1989 I changed the cylinder head (overheated on the racetrack), water pump & radiator, and here recently we did a valve job but only because the valve guide seals were not functioning anymore.

And Red still show a pair of smokey rear tyres to all that chase.

post-137-1210038011.jpg

It's been some time, however I remember them as being actual nozzels counter sunk into the rod. Same location, I think. There may have been also the hole in the top of the rod as well. The idea was so that the piston didn't have to move so much oil out of the way. What you have identified, I believe, would have shot the side of the cylinder on the thrust side.

It's been some time, however I remember them as being actual nozzels counter sunk into the rod. Same location, I think. There may have been also the hole in the top of the rod as well. The idea was so that the piston didn't have to move so much oil out of the way. What you have identified, I believe, would have shot the side of the cylinder on the thrust side.

Ok, I was wondering since I have rods without that hole also.

• 7 months later...

Mitch Wright, who ironically became the tech official for SCCA, built it. As he knew that SCCA was going to disqualify any engine that was touched at all he said he only built it "loose". What does that mean? I'm not 100% sure but he did say that you could turn the crank of the short block by hand. I had dto buy around 18 pistons to get 4 that weighted less than 1/4 grahm differance. I believe that the rods are the ones without the oil squirters as then the piston doesn't have to move the resultant oil out of the way. The squirters were supposed to reduce the heat in the pistons (read detonation) but apparently that's not an issue as Red has put 100,000 miles on that engine that was supposed to last just long enought to cross the finish line.

Over the years since 1989 I changed the cylinder head (overheated on the racetrack), water pump & radiator, and here recently we did a valve job but only because the valve guide seals were not functioning anymore.

And Red still show a pair of smokey rear tyres to all that chase.

"loose" = greater clearanes between the moving parts. Less friction. Todays new engines are machined so tight at the factory they can use 5W-20 oil <_<

Maybe the squirters werent needed after that,less heat from less friction ?

Guest EUROTRASH

They APPEAR to have a V6, picture and all... I wonder.

http://www.everdrive.com/partdetails.aspx?sku=3242382

ok the pic is just generic