505 GR Familiale Dangel

brownie

Hello everybody,

Last weekend it was delivered to me by my brother in law from London: A 505 GR Familiale.

Such a 7 seater is not that rare, but it is when it's equiped with 4X4 Dangel tranmission. 7500 Dangels are made, but mostly commerciale and break version (2 and 5 seaters) for french governemental organizations. A few were built for the normal market, but hardly any familiales.

This one is even more rare because it is an English version, so with right hand drive. Only 3 Dangels are made in RHD and this is the only one still existing! Morevoer, it's in very good state. Very well maintained by an peugeot enthousiastic, only a bit of rust under the bonnet above the headlights but that's a frequent problem by 505's in wet parts of Europe.

My camera is broken at the moment, but pictures will follow.

Here's one from the seller's add:

26677553_1-peugeot-604-srdt-305-srd-break-505-gr-dangel-505-gti-gtdt.jpg

HOLY COW!

Congratulations on a FANTASTIC find! I hope you get your camera fixed, or find another to use because you're going to have to take a LOT of pictures to satisfy our curiosity!

So is it a diesel? Gas? auto? stick?

Details Brownie... details!

I am truly envious as this has to be one of the most desireable cars to have. Can't wait to hear more about how it drives - and hopefully you'll be able to comment on how capable the 4x4 is.

Rabin

Very very cool. Wonder what it would be like in the States here to show up on a jobsite with all those F150s and Silverados with one of those!

Too bad they didn't make those available in the US during the roaring late 90s while the SUV craze was in fulll swing.

Had anybody offer you cash for it yet?

Had anybody offer you cash for it yet?

Yeah, already. But he wanted to move the steering to the left hand side. I think that should not be done with such an rare version, so we had no deal.

I can't tell you a lot about the ride, it's now parked in a barn waiting for dutch number plates. But my brother in law, who drove it to Holland, was very pleased with the comfort on the highway.

What I know about the specs:

It has a 2 liter carburateur engine (XN2 maybe?) with 93.000 miles. 5 speed manual, four wheel drive of course with diff lock. It's really a terrain car, it has special high profile mud tyres, brand new! You don't really see it on this picture, but it has a lot higher ground clearance than for example a Landrover discovery.

I think each SUV looks small compared to this!

I still have dreams of "faking" a Dangel by putting my 83' 504 Wagon on a Toyota 4x4 truck frame...

Toyota reliability and aftermarket, and Peugeot cool...

Not as cool a REAL Dangel - but probably the closest I'll ever get.

Rabin

I still have dreams of "faking" a Dangel by putting my 83' 504 Wagon on a Toyota 4x4 truck frame...

Toyota reliability and aftermarket, and Peugeot cool...

Not as cool a REAL Dangel - but probably the closest I'll ever get.

Rabin

That might be a good idea. Peugeot makes good engines, but Dangel doesn't make good four wheels drive systems. A lot of parts of the transmission are often worn out after 100.000 miles. Luckily at mine most Dangel stuff has already been replaced.

That might be a good idea. Peugeot makes good engines, but Dangel doesn't make good four wheels drive systems. A lot of parts of the transmission are often worn out after 100.000 miles. Luckily at mine most Dangel stuff has already been replaced.

Wasn't this Dangel listed on ebay several times?

If I could have legally got it into the states it would be here.

Jeff

Wasn't this Dangel listed on ebay several times?

If I could have legally got it into the states it would be here.

Jeff

your right, it was. the chap had it on ebay for a while but wanted ridiculous money for it if i remember correctly.

looks a lovely bit of kit! i bet it draws some attention!

your right, it was. the chap had it on ebay for a while but wanted ridiculous money for it if i remember correctly.

looks a lovely bit of kit! i bet it draws some attention!

Well, it wasn't such ridiculous money. The first time I saw it, he asked 3750 pounds, which is well over 5000 dollars I guess. Luckily I got it a lot cheaper because he had to get rid of it. Of course it was more expensive than a normal 505 wagon, but it is in fantastic condition and you pay also for the rarity. Only 7500 Dangels are build, mainly for governmental use. Only 3 RHD of which 1 survived!

But compare it to a restaured GTDT Dangel in France: They're asking 10.000 euro! (for sale at webmycar.com)

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately I have overestimated my cash flow. After buying the GTDT automatic which I really want to keep as daily drive I am getting a bit low on cash. So I will sell it for it is the most expensive (and rare) car I have. If there is anybody among you who really want, this is your change! Although it might be too expensive for you because the US dollar is very low compard to the euro. I want 6000 euro for it to keep me out of costs.

Here are some additional photos:

P1010206.jpg

P1010205.jpg

65eb1_003.jpg

65eb1_004.jpg

65eb1_002.jpg

P1010255.jpg

P1010207.jpg

P1010199.jpg

P1010198.jpg

wow.

thats too bad you didnt get to enjoy it too the fullest extent.

its an extremly rare find.

god, it would be cool if someone on this board imported to the states

then it'd be worth alot here because of its rarity-all if it passes inspection.

however, i think that it could be imported to canada-no problem. their importation laws are WAY more laid back than the US's. People in canada import Japanese cars ALL the time. I saw AT least 20 skylines on my trip there in august B)

yeah, and i've seen some euro spec 505's for sale in canada as well.

Indeed a pity that I didn;'t really enjoy it for what it is, a terrible good off-road car. On the other hand, Holland is flat as a pancake and everywhere are houses and roads. So in fact there is hardly any rough terrain to really test the car of its capabilities.

A rare car in the US is an understatement I think. Probably it will be the first Dangel in the USA. Moreover it's the only RHD Dangel in the world. Keep in mind that only 7500 Dangels were made of which most have had a terrible hard life and are scrapped or send to Africa. I'm pretty sure less than 100 Dangels exist in this good condition.

I don't know how inspection rules differ from US and Canada. But what I do know is that export to US and Canada stalled when a shipload of 200 405's was returned to France because they didn't meet the new rules of imported cars in Canada. They were sold in Holland afterwards. I've seen one or two of these 405's with the typical US-type small (but dutch) licenseplates on them.

But anyway, if you fit US-spec lights on it, it would pass the import I assume?

Damn - that's too bad!

Importing to Canada would be easy, just shipping it here would be the biggest issue. Other than that it just has to pass a safety inspection to ensure it was mechanically sounds and not have any rust issues.

It's tempting for sure - and I would pursue it if it had a XD3T intercooled diesel in it, but the wife would go for a gas 505 wagon... (We're both interested in getting / building a grease (waste veggie oil) car).

I'd mention this on the Peugeot-L list - and maybe the aussiefrogs forum...

Good luck with the sale - although I hope you're finances turn around instead!

Rabin