Peugeot 505 Turbo Project

d00zer

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Johnny: We have talked about using a external wastegate but first stage in the engine build we gona use a turbo with a internal wastegate.

Its not the optimal solution to run with internal wastegate, but it for work for now until next stage of the engine build.

• 1 month later...

Updates

Have done some rust repair on my car; grinding, sand blasting and painting. I want to complete the rust repair asap so I can start to do the fun part, building the exterior and finish the engine building. But it's gonna take some time to complete the rust repair stage.

But my father have done a lot of work on his 505; front mounted intercooler (from SAAB) and open air filter. The plan is using his car as a test platform before we starting doing modification for my car.

post-226-1212917542.jpgpost-226-1212917600.jpgpost-226-1212917644.jpg

post-226-1212917740.jpgpost-226-1212918006.jpgpost-226-1212918022.jpg

Looks like a nice install!

Are you guys planning to open up the bumper at all to increase air flow to it? I'll be curious to hear how it runs once back on the road - should be awesome.

Rabin

• 3 weeks later...

Bean: Thanks! We are not planing to open up the bumber at the moment. The next plans with my father 505 is to replace the two last stock muffler on the exhaust pipe with just one muffler, gona replace it with a aftermarket muffler. Just as a test if we can increase the exhaust flow and gain some preformance.

We have test driven the car and it works exellent, mabey a slight diffrent in the spoolup and the boost have increase a bit. The acceleration is fantastic :lol:

In two days my vacation starts and I got 5 weeks of vacation and the plan is to to as much work possible on my project car.

Most of the work I gona do is to get work on the exterior, rust fixing and painting. To get the exterior in good shape.

I can reveal that i have purchased sideskirts from a BMW E36 and we have done some test fitting and it looks good. We have also order stock paint so we can paint the sideskirts. We have plans for another color for the car but stock will do for now, need to save up some money for a total new paint and the paint jobb.

One other thing that I have start working with, what it is I don't gona reveal now, but I can say it involves plastic and hard work. I will upload pictures if the final product comes out good... :unsure:

Hmm, I would really like if someone made a fibreglass hood though. :unsure:

I have some plans for that myself, but it looks like I have too much to do right now...

Back to topic,

I agree with Rabin, great work!

Shoot a video of it in action if you have the possibility!

Did the sideskirts fit without modifications? (Other than the actual mounting)

LOL - I was thinking of doing a fibreglass hood too Johnny!

I figured the easiest would be to take a mold of the stock hood, and then attach the copy of it to just the hinge section of the stock hood... So in preparation I cut a spare hood just in front of the hinges... Weight savings are substantial as the small section is quite light, and once bonded to the thin glass copy of the rest of the hood it should function pretty well.

Will likely need some reinforcement underneath to keep it fairly rigid, and some hood pins to keep it secure - but another interesting idea for down the road when I got some time to play...

Rabin

Good guesses guys! Bean is closest to the right answer :unsure:

But I don't want to reveal anything for now, as I said in previous post I will upload picture if the final product comes out good. Want it perfect if I can.

The length of the skirt is perfect, don't need to to any modification on the length. But some modification have to be done to not make the skirt stand out to much from the car. I will upload pictures when we have mounted them on the car.

For like 2 years ago I helped a friend to mount a front spoiler on his BMW E36, then I measured the length of the skirts and is exact same length on the 505.

I have a small movie clip when we test driving my fathers 505, but that movie is when we have just mounted the BOV. See if we can do another test run now when we have mounted the front mounted intercooler.

My fathers 505 project gona be on hold for now, we gona work with my 505 now. Have to finnish the exterior this summer and maybe start with the engine. We have to send the crankshaft for grindning and get it balanced. But need the clutch before we send it away; I have email some retailers in sweden and ask for aftermakret clutches to the pegeuot 505. But most retailers dosen't sell them. But stylingkompaniet.com told me that they have Sachs preformance clutches, and they have a clutch for the 505. Have to email them back and ask for more specification.

Have anyone test the SPEC clutches for the 505? My friend have tried one SPEC clutch for his Nissan 200sx and it diden't work well, the stock was better. 034motorsport.com sells SPEC clutches, mabey I will order clutch from them.

Thanks for all the comments, keeps us motivated! :lol:

d00zer,

Cool that the Bmw sideskirts fit without and modification of the lenght, this should open up the possibility for aftermarket sideskirts too.

I'm looking forward to see a video of your car, and hoping for some rubber-burning action. :lol:

LOL - I was thinking of doing a fibreglass hood too Johnny!

I figured the easiest would be to take a mold of the stock hood, and then attach the copy of it to just the hinge section of the stock hood... So in preparation I cut a spare hood just in front of the hinges... Weight savings are substantial as the small section is quite light, and once bonded to the thin glass copy of the rest of the hood it should function pretty well.

Will likely need some reinforcement underneath to keep it fairly rigid, and some hood pins to keep it secure - but another interesting idea for down the road when I got some time to play...

Rabin

I was thinking of doing it a little different.

Just take the hood, wrap it in food plastic (that stuff you use i the kitchen), make a "mold".

And instead of molding, just take that "mold" and cut to dimension, use filler to make it smooth and use dzus locks to lock it in place.

Some strengthening from the underside would probably be a good idea too, but it should be pretty stable if you use 8 locks or so.

It's more labor-intense but it's cheaper because you only need half of the glassfibre you normally use. (and cheap is what I'm all about) :)

I've bought the dzus locks and the glassfibre already, but it's the time-componont that is the issue... :unsure:

Update

My vacation have started and time to do some serious work on project car 1.

We have removed the right passenger door for rust repair and welding, due bodywork damage. And we have also start removing parts from the engine room, not so much rust in the engine room but we need to remove almost everything cause the engine room gonna get painted. Same gray color as before (I don't remember the paint code).

Tomorrow we going to the junkyard and get some parts to the project car, maybe a new hood and front windshield.

More updates tomorrow!

post-226-1214759328.jpgpost-226-1214759343.jpgpost-226-1214759373.jpgpost-226-1214759403.jpg

Update

Rain, rain and rain - Today we went to the junkyard to get some parts to the project 1 car . But the weather was not one our side. We didn't bought a new windshield and hood, instead we bought cable from a BMW so we can place the battery in the trunk and battery holder from a Nissan Premiera. And then we did a really good find. Rear bumper and side skirts from a Peugeot 405 MI 16 - 1990. The side skirt my father gonna use for the project 3 car. The rear bumper we gonna use for project car 1. Is the rear bumper lower part we gonna use. We did some test mounting to day and don't to much modification have to been made for making it fit well.

As I write before, the weather was not good today and we was not able to do any work on the car (I want a garage!)
Here some pictures from today:

post-226-1214842906.jpgpost-226-1214842919.jpg

Mini update

Few hours spend today with the project car. The weather was good today so we manage get the engine room ready for painting, still need some cleaning, rust fixing and masking before we paint.

I worked with the Peugeot 405 Mi16 rear bumper, removed the lower part of the bumper and I will make it to fit with the 505 bumper. I can reveal the plans i have, gonna use the 505 bumper and the 405 lower part. I'm making a mold of the 505 bumper which i gonna mold together with the lower part of the 405 rear bumper. I hope it will give the 505 a discreet and more modern look.

post-226-1214918508.jpgpost-226-1214918527.jpgpost-226-1214918539.jpg

post-226-1214918550.jpgpost-226-1214918571.jpg

Mini update

Home from a small vacation in the northern part of Sweden and Norway. Time to do more work on the

project car 1!

Today I have worked with the rear bumper form, test mounted it on the car and need to do some changes to it to fit well. When its done i gonna cast fiberglass over it and attach the Peugeot 405 MI16 lower part to it.

Gonna work with the car tomorrow and maybe do a test run with project car 2. I will not forget to make a small movie clip of the test run B)

post-226-1215445284.jpgpost-226-1215445456.jpgpost-226-1215445477.jpg

Mini Update

Done some work with the project car 1; replaced a broken door handle, add a air intake on the hood and I'm still working with the rear bumper. Have to do some improvements before I cast with plastic.

Picture from today and pictures on project car 2 engine.

post-226-1216130944.jpgpost-226-1216130957.jpgpost-226-1216130970.jpg

post-226-1216130997.jpgpost-226-1216131009.jpgpost-226-1216131023.jpg

Wow.

That is really cool.

Starting to give my ideas of building my own european style bumper replicas.

But what else is really catching my eye-is the euro rear decor with the taillights.

Need to make myself a wishlist for when I visit Europe! :lol:

btw, does SAAB manufacture their own FMIC's?

I've been looking at MTE Sverige for my Volvo-again, just getting ideas...

• 1 month later...

Update

We have removed all rust in the engine room and painted it. The hood have been painted also and we have also mounted a hood scoop, but we don't gonna use that hood later when we gonna get the final paint on the car. Don't have any pictures on the engine room and the hood, gonna take some picture later.

Sideskirts have been modified and mounted, we test mounted the BMW sideskirts and it didn't look good. So we modified the Peugeot 405 Mi16 sideskirts and mounted them and it is much better. The Peugeot 405 Mi16 have to been extended 4.5CM to fit the 505. We remove the trim beneath the doors and mounted the sideskirt in trim standard screw holes and we also used strong glue to fix the sideskirts. And we fabricated holds that we mounted under the car that also fix the sideskirts.

The bumper mold is finished and I have mold plastic on it. Now I need to do some more work on it to get a smooth surface before I paint it.

First time ever for us to do work in plastic, so it have been a good learning experience :wacko:

We have been out and test drive the Project car 2 and I borrowed my friends digital video camera. I have edit a short clip (3 minutes and 20 seconds) from the test drive but I got some difficulties to compress the video, I will try to find a solution asap and upload the video :)

post-226-1219571757.jpgpost-226-1219571799.jpgpost-226-1219571810.jpgpost-226-1219571851.jpg

post-226-1219572293.jpg

Depending if you can offer it for download somewhere I can do that for you! I got some great editing software on my end!

I'll even host it on maxrockatansky.org so everyone can download it.

But this all depends on you being able to get it to me.