Peugeot 505 Turbo Project

d00zer

@andrethx: Thanks! No car in Stockholm, it's better to commute with the subway and bus.

Haven't so much experiences to drive and own a car in Stockholm, it's hard to tell.

I have one memory when me and my dad toke a trip to Stockholm with the Peugeot 505, this was when we used

one of the project cars as daily driver car. At Stockholm we got into a traffic queue, that we didn't know that

the magnetic mechanics for the cooling fan didn't work properly and it was a hot day. When standing in the queue

we saw the coolant temperature rise so we had to pull over the side and do a quick fix :)

Later my dad added a button, by pressing the button we can now run the fan at any time.

@norcal505: Tack! How long time did you live in Sweden, Västerås?

• 9 months later...
  • Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi,

Long time since a update, but the project is not dead!
During the easter I wen't home to my parents and did some work with our project cars.

I did a proper cleaning of the interior on project car 1 and check if any rust have appear during the winter storage.
It have manage the winter very well, but a warm storage should be a advantage. During the winter we have started the car
periodically and had it running warm.

My father had started with the project 3 car, it's a ton of rust repair (sandblasting and welding).
The plan is to keep it stock but some exterior and interior modifications. The first exterior modification is side skirts,
the side skirts have been made by a metal shop, we had them fabricated for some time ago and during the easter we mounted
one on the project car.

post-226-0-90504100-1334480708_thumb.jpgpost-226-0-20233100-1334480733_thumb.jpg

Two fresh photos of the project car 1
post-226-0-65113900-1334481162_thumb.jpgpost-226-0-85859500-1334481187_thumb.jpg

That is looking great! Did you ever get RX7 calipers fitted to your 505? My other car is an RX7 and I have a few extra calipers laying around. If they are the right kind and you still need them I can send them to you if you can just cover shipping.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Hi,

Dropping in and writes some line to show that the project cars is not dead, we still working with them :)

Have done some minor work on Project car 3 this summer. Cleaned the gear box, rear diff and removed rust from the drive shaft and painted them.

Also removed rust under the car where the trunk is and also painted it.

http://www.505turbo.com/forum/index.php?/gallery/image/436-rear-diff/

http://www.505turbo.com/forum/index.php?/gallery/image/435-gearbox/

http://www.505turbo.com/forum/index.php?/gallery/image/438-rear-diff/

http://www.505turbo.com/forum/index.php?/gallery/image/439-rear-diff/

Regarding project car 1, the plans remains that we gona buy a new turbo and rebuild the exhaust system.
Only new thing for this car is that we bought braided break lines for the front breaks.

• 11 months later...

We are still working on the cars but very slowly.

This summer we got side tracked with project car 3, fixed the drivetrain and mounted it.

And we got yet another Peugeot 505 for free. It's an old turbo diesel, we needed some spare parts for the project car 3 and most of my vacation was to disassemble the car to save what could be saved.

My father have finished the interior of project car 3, only modification we have done there is other seats from an Ford.

Have also updated the gallery with more pictures and updated dead links in this thread.

• 5 months later...

Couple of month ago I purchased a turbo, the turbo is an Garrett GT2860RS.
Also order all the necessary gaskets and an V-band adapter for the exhaust housing. The down-pipe will be 3'' but we must redo the rest of the exhaust system, an lower car with a full 3'' exhaust system is not practical. 

What do you guys use for boost controllers? 
I have been looking at an electronic boost controller, the GFB 3004.
It seams to have good feature like over-boost warning/cut (since we are bypassing the 505 own over-boost protection).

IMG_20161122_174820.thumb.jpg.1fa9befa13600543031ebe11f91d84ae.jpg

If the car use the non cat ignition system (with two ignition curves selected by a pressure switch and a knock detection module) a boost controller with knock detection might be a good idea, something like the old SAAB APC in fact.

The GBF 3004 has a remote input trigger that you could probably link with the stock knock detection module to lower boost when needed. You may have to adapt the signal as the knock warning led on the dash isn't meant to trigger an ecu.

Nice to see you back D00zer!

Very nice turbo choice for super fast response and it should still easily support 300 RWHP. :)

I recently bought an AEM Tru Boost, and for my Birthday I told my wife I wanted an AEM 30-0300 X-Series WBO2 controller and gauge. (Ordered it yesterday).

I needed both of these in order to properly run the SDSefi 4F stand alone ECU.  I've also got Bosch 465cc "Green Giant" injectors, and will be using the modded T3/T4 stock turbo that I also have already.

I'd HIGHLY recommend trying to go to a proper stand alone with this new turbo so that you have the timing and fuel control needed to really make power in the safest way possible.  

I went with SDSefi as it was a good friends' that passed away and I wanted to use it on one of my cars as little memorial.  Not the most technically advanced system, but it looks super easy to install and very easy to tune.  

MegaSquirt would also be another great choice as Tama already runs it, and I believe V-M was looking to run it as well.  If you went with MS or VEMS then it could do the boost control and WBO2 management all in one system.  (Even the sdsefi 4F does knock sensing / timing retard as do MS and VEMS)

Keep us posted on progress!

Rabin

Thanks for the reply SRDT and Bean :)

Forgot to mention that I have also purchase and WBO2 sensor (Innovate INN-3796).

The right way is to go with an stand alone ECU to get full control, but since we are slowly professing with this build,maybe it will be in the next iteration of this build.
But have reading about stand alone ECU system, try to learn more about them and what they can do. 
Found an Swedish company that makes three different ECU, have looked at there entry level ECU called MaxxECU street.

If you plan to do the installation and the mapping yourself the standalone ecu could have been the first step ; working with an engine that you know was performing well can be helpful for troubleshooting.

If you pay someone for the mapping on the other hand you want the build to be complete before any serious mapping.

The MaxxECU "street" need external knock detection ($$$) and even with it won't perform as well as the "race" one.

• 6 months later...

Long time no see ?

Will share some update cause we had some progress with our project cars since the last update.
I have moved home now from Stockholm, so now I'm close to our project cars and can help out with them.

Click on the links to get to the picture gallery of each project. I sorted them in Newest to Oldest. 

Project car 1
Fitted the stock exhaust from the down pipe, 3" was not practical for now. 
Have redesinged the rear bumper to stock look for now, just some minor modifications. 
We have this project temporarily on hold.

Project car 2
We had this car in drivable condition. Until someone tought it would be a good ideá to turn up the boost and went out for a test run. That resulted in blown headgasket and radiator. The engine is out of the car and are being fixed, thats why we order the cometic headgasket. 

Project car 3
We decided to focus on this project due it has the most amount of work. 
When I moved home from Stockholm, 2 years ago the engine was out and there was alot of body work to do.
Now the car has a newly renovated engine in it and have a fresh new paint ?
My father did the painting at home in our shed and the result came out ok. We had to redo the work due to alot of moister in the first coat of paint. Then re-sand the car again and paint it again, not fun at all. Atleast it keep us busy during the COVID-19 summer ? 
I installed a car stero for the first time in my life in this car. The head unit is a Pioneer DEH-X9600BT and speakers are 2xRockford Punch 6.5" and 2xRockford Punch 6x9". 
I sent the stock rims to sand blasting and powder coating then fitted them with Toyo Proxes TR1 205/50 R15 tires. 
The plan is to get this car approved during spring and then I will use it as summer car ?
I will take more pictures and update here and in the gallery when progress is made. 

DSC_6593.JPGIMG_20200830_114903052.jpgIMG_20200418_154219228.jpg

"The barn find"
My father did a barn find. When we was fetching the color for the project car 3 the guy how sold the color told us he had a freshly painted Peugeot 505 GTI automatic (1984) standing in the barn... and wanted to get rid of it and he sold it to my father. There was some work to get it running, but the car is now approved and road worthy. 
My father uses it when the doing some trips out in the woods, it got some higher springs and are excellent for the gravel roads ? 

• 2 months later...
On 1/26/2021 at 10:06 PM, d00zer said:

Project car 1
Fitted the stock exhaust from the down pipe, 3" was not practical for now. 
Have redesinged the rear bumper to stock look for now, just some minor modifications. 
We have this project temporarily on hold.

Did you make the exhaust manifold yourself?
Would you make another one with a t3 flange and send it on the other side of the border? ???

On 3/27/2021 at 11:28 AM, Alfanatiker said:

Did you make the exhaust manifold yourself?
Would you make another one with a t3 flange and send it on the other side of the border? ???

The collector was purchased and my father welded rest of the exhaust manifold. 
We don't have any manifold for export ?

Yesterday we did some work on the project car 3
I installed AEM DryFlow Filter. Had an old airbox cover that was already drilled in so modified it to fit the new filter.

IMG_20210405_170147463.thumb.jpg.2587e6eb53e3242050cd80aa3c0d98a8.jpg

My father did a new holder so we could reallocated the expansion tank a bit higher up.
In the picture below shows the new holder and the old one below.
Our plan is to get this car pass car inspection soon and I can start driving it during the summer ?

IMG_20210405_170245519.thumb.jpg.a27d66b8bcb2e92cbc701e10f9286d7e.jpg

• 3 months later...

Project car 3 passed M.O.T today! ?
It has not been on the road since 2004-03-31.
Feels great to have it on the road now and we will drive it now during the summer. 

Since it's a old car we have some issues.
The main issue now is the heating, we suspect there is some eletric problems.
Issue is that the heating is always on, we have done a quick fix now so heated water is blocked.
We have start troubleshooting but we are in need of a electric diagram for the heating system.
Anyone that know where we can find it? 

Here is some picture I took today:HO2_3730.thumb.jpg.5786cf6080f246f84d86954ce7781dcc.jpg

HO2_3738.thumb.jpg.ec1088928528f436970434309f06a2cc.jpg

I don't have a wiring diagram that just covers the heating system, but I do have this one, which covers the entire wiring harness for an N9TE car.  Perhaps this will help:

Also, great pictures of a beautiful car!  I'd really like to put those European front and rear bumpers on my '87 STX someday.

505_turbo_n9te_wiring_diagram.jpg

505_turbo_n9te_wiring_diagram_key_eng.jpg

Congrats D00zer!  Looks great, and quite the accomplishment to get a car off the road for 17 years back in service - Well done.

Let us know if you have what you need with the above diagrams.  

Total aside - But what are the specific model and size of the tires?  Getting good 15's is getting tougher and I can make out that they're Toyo Proxes R something (?) - but I've never seen the tread pattern.  Looked like Vredestein tire at first until I zoomed in.  

Thanks,

Rabin