505 Turbo thermostat

Bean

Hey guys,

I just found the part number for the Nissan thermostat that I used in the 505 Turbo. Build quality is typical japanese, and the improved temperature control was noticed immediately.

21200-6N210 (Thermostat 82)

August - can you put this in the technical resourses? Maybe be the start of drop in replacement parts that fit the 505 Turbo...

Rabin

This was my original post to the Peugeot-L list in 2003...

-----------------

Hi Guys,

I just returned from a 1250 mile trip in my 86 505 Turbo. Went up to Invermere BC.

Rocky Mountains + 505 Turbo = :)

30+ degrees C and no AC = :) But at 80 MPH it went by a bit quicker...

Back to the car:

Pre-trip service:

All fluids changed (AMSOIL 5W30, Mobil 10W30 (dino) tranny, and fresh dino 80W90 with LSD additive)

Car has always run cold - which I attributed to the thermostat, and which probably caused my horrendous mileage (260 Miles per tank best from VA to Saskatchewan last year.

I called the local parts store (Canadian Tire) on a whim to see if they had one. They had two in stock!! Went down and it was a crappy looking piece of tin MotoRad thermostat :( I hate not using OEM quality stuff when it comes to thermostats. Curious why they even had it, I asked them to tell me what else uses that number...

Early 1.1L (13B?) RX-7, 5.9L Dodge Cummins Diesels, Nissan trucks were just some of the cars listed!

I grabbed the cheap thermostat just in case, then went to the three closest dealers. Dodge was $45 and looked TOTALLY different than any thermostat I have ever seen, Mazda had none in stock, and Nissan had the HOLY GRAIL of thermostat's in stock ($24 CDN). A fine piece of thermostat engineering at it's best!

CAUTION! Use of the Nissan thermostat is not a drop in replacement - a bit of machining is needed to the thermostat and the housing that bolts on. (Or a snapped housing results and a mad dash to your parts car has to be made 1 hour prior to you leaving on a 2000 KM trip!!)

I used a diegrinder and a bit to "open up" the housing (the part that comes off) so that the thermostat top fits into it and sits flush along the rim. I then took the thermostat itself to the bench grinder and took just a little off the outside edge. It had initially fit quite tight into the recess, so I trimmed it so I could remove it easier at a later date.

The result: PERFECT temperature control! Thermostat is 82 C (just like the German one I took out). I've modified the car so there is no more heavy clutch fan. The wire that would engage the magnetic clutch, is now used to engage an electric sucker fan directly on the rad. This system worked flawlessly in some of the hottest weather we get, in traffic, idling, 80 MPH... whatever. The temp has never been so stable in any of my Turbos!

I'd HIGHLY recommend this for anyone with a Turbo and a crappy thermostat in place - but PLEASE research it yourself to see if it's for you, and make sure you have everything test fitted before torquing down. (I hope to have my broken housing tig welded so I can reuse it.)

Nissan part number :21200-6N210

Gas mileage per tank at constant 75 - 85 MPH: 350+ miles on 3/4 of a tank. Not to bad at all - or is it? It's by far the best I've ever got with one. And a FULL tune up is still to come. Anybody get better on their turbos?

Rabin

86 '505 Turbo 5-sp

"wishing I lived closer to the Rockies!"

I used the factory Peugeot thermostat when I replaced mine. Works perfectly and IS a drop in replacement. Most people don't follow the factory prescribed procedure for bleeding the system and have air in the system. But, glad your good to go.

If I could have gotten one easily in Regina Saskatchewan - I would have...

But - getting an OEM quality substitute (which looks better than the Peugeot OEM") was a much better option than the jobber crap.

From what I remember about what was needed to make it fit - it was incredibly minor. And I noticed an immediate improvement in temperature control - so it was a worthwhile mod in my eyes.

Rabin