Rebuild: 505turbo "racecar"

Guest adegnes

Yeah - you can't "adjust" for offset with camber or caster... You can try to tune out some of the issues, but too much offset is really nasty to drive and nothing you do to compensate will help. Keep in mind that if you have a wider wheel the offset amount changes with the width. So you really want to look at the backspacing measurement and ensure that you have the same backspacing as the stock wheels. With the wider wheel the pivot point on the contact patch is going to be buggered and having adjustible camber and caster will help tune issues that arise from that.

Sadly with the one piece hub / strut assembly's in the older cars you are limited in the suspension geometry. Newer 505's (88 and 89's) have a more traditional 2-pc strut and hub set up so it might be easier to fit bigger wheels to those cars...

Great work so far - and I like the style of wheel you want!

Rabin

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest adegnes

I'm going for a two brake master cylinder's setup.

I'm not quite shure wether I'll use a fixed, 2 pushrod transfer from the pedal to the masters, and use a adjustable bias valve for the rear circuit, or if I'll try fitting a balance bar...

It's kind of narrow between the pedals, dont know if a balance bar will fit...

Balance bar usually fits right at the master cylinders - so if you mount and external box to house the master cylinders, the space that now holds the booster can be used to set up the balance bar assembly.

I've seen this done for an old Volvo rally car project, and it was quite a trick set up - complete with hydraulic rear parking brake using a clutch master to actuate the rear brakes... (Brake line goes "through" the clutch master for normal braking - but when you pull the lever it actuates the clutch rod which "brakes" the rear calipers....)

Hope you're able to do one or the other - having bias control would be great.

Rabin

Guest adegnes

took the car out of the garage today, removed front and rear bumper's, it'll soon be ready for a new paintjob.

I'll have to do something with the suspension, as the current ride height is extreme! I can fit my head between the tire and fender in front :rolleyes: (why would I do that...?)

I'll post some pictures soon..

Guest adegnes

Have started the restoration bit of my project, luckily, there's just a small amount of body rust on the car. I'll try to get it fixed today. will start cleaning and preparing the car for paint as soon as I get the engine out.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest adegnes

Engine's out, Hopefully I'll get the car painted in a few week's...

Any suggestions for color? something that does'nt crash totaly with the red seat's, was thinking of black (boring though...)

A nice darker blue, or and "electric" blue would go nice with the red seats, you could then tie in details to the red accents on the car. (Silicone hoses, or painted suspension/brake bits in red)

I'm also partial to motorsports white with the classic Peugeot Sport racing colours... But that kind of depends on the wheels (and colour) and tires you'll be using too.

Tough decision picking colour - so good luck!

Rabin

@adegnes: Black (even matte) would look awesome on a 505. The chrome will really stand out, but make sure your rims are spot on, since they will get a lot of attention when you are driving a black car.

White would be a good color aswell, won't clash with red either. Can't beat a good looking white car.

Silver is also an option, good color if you don't like cleaning your car a lot. I found out it looks clean for a long time.

Guest adegnes

I'll go for black.

Currently doing some work on a honda civic front I got hold of, looks like it's going to fit pretty good with some drastic cutting...

Almost done preparing the car for paint, need the front driverside door (my mother hit my car, severely damaged the old door)

I'll post some pic's tomorrow.

Guest adegnes

A picture of the civic front I'm working on.

Needs some more trimming under the headlights (to get it leveled with the lights, and the fender, it's currently a 1cm gap between the lower edge of the fender and the bumper) and in the back (the original curve of the bumper actually follows the line of the wheelarch perfectly,it only needs to be cut, and moved about 2cm forward cause the bumper builds more backwards than the oem one) the leftovers from the civic grill will be cut to go clear the stock grill, and hid behind it..

Look's like it's going to fit preety well! :)

what do you think?

post-113-1178270101.jpg

Guest adegnes

got hold of a new door. It was ALOT of work to get it to fit propperly (turned out the doorhinches was bent preety bad...)

I think I'll have to do some serious cutting under the headlights to fit the intercooler pipes....

post-113-1178982397.jpg

post-113-1178982470.jpg

post-113-1178982542.jpg

post-113-1178982714.jpg

post-113-1178982957.jpg

post-113-1178983051.jpg

Looks awesome with that big IC up front! I'm also jealous of the biode euro headlights... (Separate high beam bulb and reflector instead of the singe H4 bulb in the ones we get here.)

Nice job on the door fitment too. The pins are the usual suspects when they don't hang well - but if you had to fight bent hinges too then that would have been nasty.

Rabin

Guest adegnes

my car will be painted 28th of may, It'll cost me ca. 650USD (for the whole car, inside and outside), wich is fairly cheap considering paintjob-prices here in norway...

• 5 weeks later...
Guest adegnes

My car's back!

The paintjob turned out ok, I could have been better with the pre-work, there's a few dent's I overlooked, and some areas shows sloppy filler work...

but hey, it was my first time ever preparing a whole car for paint!

I'm happy, and now I can start putting it back together...

Volvo 4 piston calipers bolt onto the Pugs with no problems (need the 240 Turbo calipers or the ones for vented disks) but they'd be a nice cheap upgrade. (Heavy - but good.)

Rabin

240 Turbo Calipers??

To my experience....they're pretty much the same as n/a 240's.. :angry:

042204-001_lo-res.JPG

Depends though... your right about them (different from 86+'s, but theyre shared with the gt, glt, and 262 bertone editions, to my knowledge.

My 92 245 has slight upgrades, and I am soon goin' to convert the whole thang (calipers/hoses/brembo rotors/adaptors) to the S60R brakes.

042204-008_lo-res.JPG

A friend of mine, dave barton, had the conversion on his car....

here's the site...Dave Barton of SoCal's R Brake Conversion

But are you sure about the 244/245 TIC brakes fit perfectly on 505's??

Because If youre right, I mite throw on my set that I accurried from another local Turbobricker.. :):D

I've only done the research - never actually bolted them up.

As for NA Volvo's - as long as they're vented front disks they'd work fine. I've got an old 240 wagon and it has solid disks - so the calipers won't fit. Since Turbo 240's all had vented it's easier to just refer to that model.

The only think is that the old Volvo calipers need two lines to it - making it a PITA to fit.

Be neat to see what it's like though if you try it...

Rabin

Hey rabin

any pic(s) of your 245?? P.M. me!! :angry:

As for bolting em' up, my neighbor has a 87 245DL, and he said that he has Turbo Calipers on it. As for the turbo part, I guess you could call my car a 92 turbo. garrett t3 baby!!

it is a very simple conversion...called B230F+T. As for the boost, not that much yet, after all, its a a "junkyard conversion" using 700 seiries parts..lol

Oh dude you'd cry if you saw this beast... It's about a week away from being donated if it doesn't fire up and run decent this week. (It's been sitting for over a year so I'm not holding out much hope!)

If it does run decent I need to go through it to see if it passes safety (or can fairly easily). If I can get it safetied and I can splash it with some paint I'll send some before and after pics.

Rabin