Looking for any Peugeot.

JCSmooth305

Hello, first off I am new here, so thank you all for the welcome. I've been trying to buy a Peugeot now for a while. I'd love a 205 but at this point I'd settle for anything. I know they are rare in the US market as the 404 and the 505 I believe were the only ones actually sold in USA and I believe everything else was imported (I could be wrong so apologies) so I'd prefer a "base" 205 (not gti or ralleye or t16) or a 405 or the 505 BUT open to just any model.

I've done some bidding on ebay and I have used bring a trailer and cars and bid.com and still have been unsuccessful.

My last attempt was via ebay for a 505 turbo. I got outbid on the last seconds and it sold for $2700 roughly.

I'm located in MA. I'd love for it to be closer but honestly I'm just looking for someone who is trying to maybe depart with theirs. I will pay for shipping etc.

So anyone selling a Peugeot? Maybe around the $3k-$6k range give or take. I'm negotiable. N idk for whatever it's worth I have two jags I would sell/trade in a heart beat for a Peugeot (92 xjs v12 auto and an 03 x type [Ford mondeo lol] manual) 

Idk just anyone with any interest at all. Please PM me. I was told to try Peugeot fan forums because people are always selling them. So here I am. I've tried ebay, I've tried bring a trailer, I've tried Cars and bid and like I said I either miss the listing entirely (because they get listed so rarely) or when I do finally catch one and bid on it, I get out bid.

So idk, just want to try my luck here. I'm not a licensed mechanic by any means but I have enough knowledge and I do my own work on my jags (if anyone knows the xjs v12 lol not an EZ beast to work on) so I'm confident I could handle a Peugeot. In other words I'm not looking for like a mint condition car. 

Just something that runs and is in decent shape and maybe just needs some TLC. Would prefer the 205 (but I know how RARE those are, stock wise in USA. Most are ralleye or gti and in the 10k plus so out of my range) buy I will take a 505, 405 hell, I will take the hand cranked 404.

Just anyone with any slight interest let me know. Have a Peugeot? Want to sell it for a somewhat low price cause maybe not in the best shape and u just need to get rid of it? Please contact me. Make someone happy.

It may sounds very sad buy man all I want is a Peugeot. People aim to own rolls Royse phantoms, aston Martin's etc I would be 100% content with a Peugeot lol.

My dream make and being an American loving a Peugeot is very hard.

Make someone's dream come true lol. Please PM if anyone fits this category.

Thx again and sorry my first post is a rather "desperate" sounding one but man, in MA and my luck online. I'm just not having any and so I don't know what else to do. Hopefully the advice of seeking out the Peugeot fan forums works out. 

Thx again for taking the time to read this post and everyone of you Americans that own a Peugeot, man be happy. Truly tho. Like u have no idea how lucky u are. Whatever model u own. Love it, only get rid of them if you absolutely must but man idk I would absolutely love to own a Peugeot. 😁👍

Welcome to the forums JC!

Love your enthusiasm, and good luck with the search.

I don’t know how easy it will be to find a 205, but if you’re content with a lesser model than the GTI you might get lucky - GTI’s go for decent coin these days.

You might want to focus in on a 405 Mi-16 as they’re in your ball park and will have the closest driving experience to a 205 as you can get here in North America.  The RWD cars are a different, but have their own charms, as do the diesels.

You also might want to subscribe to the Peugeot-L mailing list as there’s quite a few guys on there, and the Peugeot group on Facebook might also be a place to search/comment.

Rabin

56 minutes ago, Bean said:

I don’t know how easy it will be to find a 205, but if you’re content with a lesser model than the GTI you might get lucky - GTI’s go for decent coin these days.

You might want to focus in on a 405 Mi-16 as they’re in your ball park and will have the closest driving experience to a 205 as you can get here in North America.  The RWD cars are a different, but have their own charms, as do the diesels.

You also might want to subscribe to the Peugeot-L mailing list as there’s quite a few guys on there, and the Peugeot group on Facebook might also be a place to search/comment.

Rabin

Thx so much for the warm welcome! My knowledge is pretty decent on Peugeots (why I have wanted one so badly) long long story short as an American growing up, My grandfather (who I never got to meet) had a 404 and my father would talk about them a lot as well (both are originally from Azores,Portugal) and he would tell me about them and then the whole history of why they are so hard to find in USA. So as I was growing up and learned more about actual cars (mechanic work wise) I never wanted to give up on owning one.

I'm aware the 405 is very identical to the 205 (Ari Vatanen and Dakar 😉👍they won back to back 2 years for the 205 then 2 for the 405)  and I did see a listing here but it was in Nov of 2022, so no idea if they got sold? But looks like two. I did respond to the post to see if any info on them.

I'm just simply not trying to be picky, I know also the 505 is MORE common than other models for USA and so I've been trying to get that as well. As my post said I tried but got outbid and it sold for only $2700, so I know they are out there. Maybe need work, which I am more than happy to do for such beautiful rare gems. 

As the 205, yes I'm not picky it's pretty much base, gti, ralleye, then the beautiful t16 . In terms of price. So, yes since my range is $3k-6k$ lol the gti and above are out of the question lol

I'm trying to buy low, so I can work on it honestly. So say I got a base 205, I mean I could personally do a lot with them (and why I want one so bad) but it's also why I'm not trying to buy high. Would rather buy low and maybe something that needs work.

So not only can I use more of my money to do what I want with it etc. But I would also personally just like to work on a Peugeot.  Since I have never had the honor. My father still alive and has plenty of knowledge he would gladly help me and I know the smile on his face (seeing one) would be just as big as mine, if not bigger. So it's just the other reason I'm content with one that needs work.

Just give me a decent price, have paper work etc. N I'm ready lol so having one, in "good condition" wouldn't bother me at all, I'm just saying, I'd be cool to buy a cheaper one that needs work Over one that may be more money and may be good to go but may not have the options done that I want etc. 

Imo, better to buy cheap, work on it and use the extra money for the options/parts u want. (Example:I could drop 10k on a 205 gti then get it and end up having to take things out etc.  I'd rather have a gti, that maybe isn't in that great of shape and the seller doesn't mind selling it lower for that reason n of course an example because MOST gti's and ralleyes are well maintained and that's WHY they still fetch a pretty penny.)

I (personally) have yet to come across a 205 gti that was in "bad" condition (in usa) that was sold for under 10k. 

As for the other things, I will absolutely give those a try and thank you VERY much for the suggestions. I'm new to the Peugeot family but already have a LOT of love (as I said I'd give my two jags up for any Peugeot in a heartbeat) so I'm just going with feedback.

I started with bidding etc, via ebay and other sites. A user on cars and bid suggested I try sites like this. So here I am, I am trying whatever outlets I can, because I do see them around. 

So it's now just trying to make it happen. I know as I said it may seem like I'm desperate but I think I'm more so enthusiastic about buying one. N just trying to make it happen. I do try but what can you do when you get outbid etc.

And no hate on/towards anyone, it's a fair market and I just always hope the people who do win, take care of them. I know I would, that's all I know. 

These cars (especially in USA) truly are gems and why I truly, sincerely mean it. If u are an owner of any in the USA, man appreciate it. N just idk love it. There are people here that really want one. 

So idk, imho, just don't sell them unless it's a really must need kinda situation. I know when and if I ever do get lucky enough to aquire one, I'm holding on to it for as long as I can, or as long as EVs take over and force diesel/Petrol stuff off roads etc lol. 

With Peugeots reputation, I know it will last even longer than that time. So more than happy to work on one and just have one of the best makes out there. 

Thx again for the warm welcome, kind words and suggestions! 

I hope to be a long time memember of this community but no matter what I will Def be a lifetime fan/member of the Peugeot family. 

I wish laws let us import newer models, it'd be a whole other ball game but I know import laws only allow I believe something like 25-27 Years before it's allowed to be imported, I'm also aware of certain exceptions but I'm a simple man. 

If I was "rich" I would have already imported my dream 205 T16 lol 😆 

Cheers 🍻😁

Only the 405 turbo 16 rallye car was really made out of a 205 turbo 16 shell, the regular 405 was using engines and gearboxes from the same family than the 205 but shells and drivetrains were specific.

The car that is a stretched 205 is the 309, there should be a couple of them in the U.S. but probably no base model. If you wanted to import a Peugeot you could go for a 309 GTI as a cheaper alternative to the 205 GTI 1.9.

4 hours ago, SRDT said:

Only the 405 turbo 16 rallye car was really made out of a 205 turbo 16 shell, the regular 405 was using engines and gearboxes from the same family than the 205 but shells and drivetrains were specific.

The car that is a stretched 205 is the 309, there should be a couple of them in the U.S. but probably no base model. If you wanted to import a Peugeot you could go for a 309 GTI as a cheaper alternative to the 205 GTI 1.9.

I would Def consider it but as i said if I have to go the import route, I'm getting my dream car and that's a 205 lol nothing would make me budge from that lol 

205 is ultimately what I want and if I'm importing ANY Peugeot it's going to be the 205. I wouldn't waste my time with the headache and process for any other model. That's just me though and IF I were to go the import route.

I'm still going to remain optimistic and positive and just stay patient and keep searching the states though. Just so it's easier, the 205 can wait. I'm in no rush and why I said "model" isn't really the issue. Just looking for someone willing to sell a Peugeot for around $2k-6k give or take. Not cemented to those prices and I would Def be flexible with whatever comes up based on the condition etc.

But I'm not looking for idk something that runs, is 100% in great shape and high priced because it defeats everything I am trying to do.

I'm trying to learn about these gems as well as own them, so I'd PREFER to have one that needs work and just some TLC. The seller doesn't mind selling it etc and maybe those price ranges are fair. Talking with someone on this forum now for a 505 turbo diesel for $2,500 and right off the bat, it's what I'm CLOSER to looking for.

It's dirty, needs work, but MECHANICALLY is good to go and isn't COMPLETELY  lost.

As someone who just rebuilt an xjs v12 from a "total loss" situation, n it's now, a rebuilt title, able to be registered and passed state inspection etc. I'm just not trying to do all that again.  It's also why I'm trying to avoid buying the turbo diesel (or any honestly) in auto because I Def don't want to hassle myself with all that. Need a trany for specific diesel then the rarity of the cars themselves. And converting to manual is already a project on it's own. I'm not a "licensed" mechanic in anyway either, didn't go to school or anything. My knowledge is blood, sweat, tears a HELL of a lot of trial and error and just love to tinker around with things.  N idk people I meet PERSONALLY at least say what I did (for having no school or training etc) is quite an achievement because apparently the v12 gets called a Frankenstein cause it's a nightmare to work on. Idk I had fun rebuilding mine. Was a complete loss from engine fire. Entire engine was done. Bought new v12, installed, n I could go into more specifics but fuck jags lol this is a Peugeot forum after all 😝 just sharing my knowledge on cars is all. 

So preferably, 2k-6k range. Any model, not a complete loss but just needs some TLC and work. N 100% manual. I don't touch autos or EVs and never will lol. This world can change to that whole EV way, when that time comes I'll walk lol or get arrested for driving illegally lol but I just can't allow myself to drive an auto or EV. 

So that's where I am at. I will Def consider everything u said though but yah if, say worst case scenario my luck just runs out here in the states and I DO have to import a Peugeot.  It's going to be a 205. I've seen quite a few base 205s being sold over seas. It's more so, just trying to again securing a legitimate seller or dealership that's willing to do overseas sales etc. N that's just ONE step of the long long battle of importing a vehicle. So really trying to NOT go that route and I'm content with not having my 205 yet.

I'd rather again just start my journey into the Peugeot world not being so picky. Aka not aiming for the exact model I want and just stick to that model.  

That's why I will continue to try looking in the states.  See where this 505 in Texas deal goes. Cause hey if it works out. Problem solved lol if not then I'll keep looking but idk if I have to eventually import. Then I'm Def getting what I want and that's the 205. 

205 is such an iconic beast and I just love everything about it.

I'm also looking at a 306 (the car that replaced the 309) and it's already built to race. Just LOOKING tho because as I said, for me. It just wouldn't do much, as most of the "work" is done. It runs and looks good. So yah I will have a nice rally/rave ready 306 but defeats my entire purpose of why I wanted to get involved with these cars. 

As I said,I WANT something that needs work to be done. So I can actually work on the car and learn more about them etc. So why I'm looking for just something "cheapish" buy low, build it up high etc. Just would rather use my money to upgrade it, fix it up etc. Not outright buy a working Peugeot etc.  Just not what I'm personally looking for.

Want something someone else is OK with letting go low because they either need to let it go, don't want it anymore (and I don't know who would ever NOT want a Peugeot anymore but Aye everyone is different) or it's just too much work for them and maybe they don't have the mechanic skills to fix it up etc.

Whatever the case may be. That's what I'm just trying to generally look for.

Any model $2k-$6k but negotiable depending on condition etc. Not a COMPLETE loss, needs work/TLC and is Manual.

But man, if someone is out there and that sounds like you. I'm ready to travel, I have no problems picking the vehicle up so the seller literally has to do nothing. Just wait for me to get there. Will give u cash, they sign papers. N I take her away. 

I'm ready, just trying to find a seller on that same page as me. So 🤞 keep the optimism up and just stay patient for awhile n just hopefully I can make something happen at some point. I guess if no luck idk in like a month or two. U guys will see me back on this site letting u know how my 205 import situation is going lol cause that really is the next steps, if no luck here in the states. 

I just tried to make something happen with some 505s but the seller didn't give me a reason why I couldn't buy them. Just said no to me pretty much.  When I had no issues driving to them, picking it up and the price they were asking. So no idea 🤷‍♂️ but what can you do when you want to buy one, contact the person, tell them price is fine I'll go to you and pick it up, then they just don't want to sell it to you (no explanation given). It's happened already to me, n idk why? But it's the person's cars ultimately and it takes two to dance the same way to takes two to make a sale. N if one party (myself) is saying I'll pay the asking price, I'll pick it up, but the other party (seller) is just saying they won't sell it to you (and for whatever reasons or no reasons at all) again what can YOU do lol. 

As a buyer, u just trying to buy a car if the refuser sells to sell that car and again for whatever reasons, u pretty much have to just move on lol so imagine that scenario overseas lol it's just why I'm TRYING states first but look the scenario I'm explaining was via states. So no idea man but it does happen. 

• 4 months later...
On 1/31/2023 at 11:38 PM, Bean said:

Rabin

Could you please tell me more about the FB group? I am not familiar with it and can't find it for some reason. 

Thank you!

Is there anyway a mod can close/delete this post?

i can’t delete it myself, so not sure if that’s even an option.

But I’m good to go. So this post is kind of “pointless” now.

I’ve secured my Peugeots. Not the 205 i wanted but I’ll settle.

least I can say I am an owner now. 

So anyone reading this in the future. Sorry. I can’t delete it but I have found some. So I’m no longer looking etc.

thx.

• 2 months later...

Oh, I ended up getting two 505s, they were posted on this site, 

pug505usa.

so, anyone wondering. My search has ended.

thx again for all the help and securing two.

Due to a lot of personal issues though I’m no longer really doing anything with cars.

still, this was a great group and without this group i wouldn’t have at least been able to secure a Peugeot.

thx again everyone and good luck to you all In the USA that own any Peugeot.

205 is still my baby but that’s just a dream I’m content and happy with letting die.

beautiful car I’ve just accepted I’m never owning one lol and I’m ok with that.

so the search has concluded. Sorry i can’t close this post but thanks again for everyone who did reach out and help out! 

• 3 weeks later...