1986 Peugeot 505 Turbo Resurrection

yhzman

Hi,

this is an initial post to start off the resurrection thread for my 1986 505 Turbo that I bought back in 2016 in Connecticut, did a bunch of work on, and then was hit in rush hour traffic and totalled by my insurance company.

This is the car I'm working on:

https://www.canam-peugeot.com/forum/index.php?/garage/vehicle/77-peugeot-505-turbo/

I bought Keebs car down in Maryland back in 2020:

Since Keebs car was pretty rough, my brother (with my help) stripped all the custom bits off that car and moved them on to my much nicer (but totalled) car.

There is still work to be done, but I will update this thread with some pics and will keep the community here updated as I go along.

Jonathan

Awesome Jonathan!  I’ve been looking forward to this post!

I started re-reading the discussion with Keebs from 2014 and I’m shocked first of all that it’s been so long, as well as how much my parts / mod list has changed since then!

So, to further this along, we stripped all the custom bit off Keebs' car, removed all the stock bits off my car and have a good chunk of the custom bits on it. 

We had to send the exhaust manifold to a welder, as it was cracked (around the EGT ports near the flange).  I just picked it up today and they welded about 2/3 around cylinder #4, 1/2 inch around cylinder #3 and about 60% around cylinder #2.

Off to another shop to have the flange planed (seems Keeb didn't have it planed after it was all welded together), put it back on the car, and once running, get a support bracket fabricated.

This would be a lot - but if you cut the intake pipes and flipped the plenum 180 degrees the inlet would be facing forwards.  Would likely need to relocate the battery or you could upgrade to a newer lightweight lithium battery for clearance.

Facing it to the rear like he did always seemed like pretty big compromise for packaging.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, likely just going to stick with what keebs did for the moment, but my brother was remarking on that as we were putting the intake back on...

Just got word that the machine shop planed the exhaust manifold flange, so I just have to pick it up and find a decent place to deal with the quarter panel replacement and some of the welding we need to get done (studs to mount the rear exhaust, remove stock, lower radiator support and weld in custom one)...

• 2 months later...

OK, another update, again with no pictures (soon!)...  My brother was nice enough to pay me another visit, and we are finishing the assembly of the car, so that it will start/roll.  The passenger side quarter panel has been removed from keebs' car and will be going on my grey car in the spring at a local body shop.  After it is painted and some more sorting is done, I can get it inspected and back on the road.

Will take some snap shots over the next 4-5 days.  Fingers crossed keebs' mods will live on in my car...