CS130 Alternator Retrofit

LBC28730

I’ve heard some diesels get the RPM signal from the tach…. No idea why that would go back to the glow plug timer/relay box though.  My xd3t has a sensor on the belhousing, but I’ll see if the alternator has that stud on it.

Is the wire that mounts to stud on the alternator insulated or is it direct to the housing?  I’ve seen alternators with dedicated grounds direct to the housing.  What gauge is the wire?

33 minutes ago, Bean said:

I’ve heard some diesels get the RPM signal from the tach…. No idea why that would go back to the glow plug timer/relay box though.  My xd3t has a sensor on the belhousing, but I’ll see if the alternator has that stud on it.

Is the wire that mounts to stud on the alternator insulated or is it direct to the housing?  I’ve seen alternators with dedicated grounds direct to the housing.  What gauge is the wire?

Very small.

In this photo it's the lower left connection.

Also to the right is the spade, that also has a jumper across the alternator.

I definitely have the sensor on the bell housing.

20220803_011151.jpg

Can you get the number off the wire?  Your alternator has two more small wires than the gas cars have - usually see the big cables to the big stud, then the spade connector for the 12V reference on the voltage reg.

I’ll take a peak at my xd3t tomorrow and see if I can tell you what it is.  Do you have the Electrical FSM for it?

1 hour ago, Bean said:

Can you get the number off the wire?  Your alternator has two more small wires than the gas cars have - usually see the big cables to the big stud, then the spade connector for the 12V reference on the voltage reg.

I’ll take a peak at my xd3t tomorrow and see if I can tell you what it is.  Do you have the Electrical FSM for it?

I'll double check but I don't think any numbering remains.

I have the complete 3 volume fsm but I haven't been able to identify exactly what's coming off the alternator where I've found it in the diagrams. 

The two wires on the "+" both go to the starter. I'd replace it with one cable but it's really more hassle than it's worth to feed it through the harness sleeving.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey everyone!
Just wanted to update that I did figure out the wiring for the battery warning light and the alternator retrofit is working perfectly. 
Unfortunately, I am dealing with a no crank right now (power to seatbelt warning, relay seems good, starter is good so somewhere in-between) but as soon as I get all that figured out and can get it actually running I will update with running voltage conditions and such.