new member intro

tashko

Hi folks,

My names is Tashko, from Toronto area.   I have 1981 504 Wagon Diesel I picked up last year that I'm slowly working on.  She's got a bit of rust but, other than the body, seems mechanically sound (let's not talk about the rotted front strut).

Hope to have it driving in the next couple of months once I fix the siezed clutch cylinder, brake lines, strut mount/bearings...

I grew up in a 1976 Wagon that my dad scrapped in 1984 when a head gasket failed...still makes me sad.  So I did the next best thing, I bought my own now that I'm "all grown up".

I'll thank you all ahead of time for leaning on your collective knowledge as I work on my 504.

t.

Welcome to the forum Tashko!  

I had 2x 504 wagons in high school MANY years ago now and have a very soft spot in my heart for them.  Gas or diesel?  Auto or manual?

Keep us posted on progress (Maybe do a build thread?), and take lots of pictures.

Strut housings are usually fairly easy repairs if you’re handy with a welder since it’s usually just the spring perch that rusts out.  Would be pretty easy to either repair or use a different perch if you can’t find a good replacement.

Rabin

It's a diesel.  I'll see what I can do about documenting things. 

Unfortunately the perch was toast which prevented me from easily moving the car.  So I bought a cheap stick welder and welded up a temporary perch so I can move the car around.  I'll have to find a donor strut of the right spring diameter to transplant a nicer perch but my first ever welding job is holding!

I put up a video of the car running when I got it home.  Good feeling when the engine works...everything else is cheaper to fix!