XD3T cracked head options.

DKF

Hello. Replacing the head gasket on my XD3T (85 505) and found a crack between the valves on one cylinder. Has anyone had luck repairing these? Or, can anyone point me in the direction of a replacement head? Thanks! Dave

eVfZvmrvRm6THvvsQ3CZUA.jpg

Sorry Dave - Just saw this.

Pretty sure cracking between valves is very common on these motors, it's when the cracks go to water jacket like they do in the N9T** motors that it can be an issue, but you might want to call up Brian Holm to make sure.

@wadehilts Might also know?

Rabin

Thanks @Bean I was replacing the HG just as a matter of course when I found the crack.  Engine ran fine before hand.  I had a spare XD3T that I popped the head off, but it's even worse with every cylinder cracked.  Seems a rather common issue.  I did find a place in CT that repairs aluminum heads, but for the price of the repair I'd rather buy a new one if possible.

I've been scouring the internet to find a replacement but haven't had any luck.  New replacements for the XD3P seem plentiful, but I'm not sure if they're interchangeable.  

I don't know how to reach Brian these days.  I thought he was no longer selling parts..?

I found a Chinese made version of the AMC 908019, but I question the fit and quality.  At this point I'm running out of ideas.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

I thought Brian was still some selling parts, but is still a wealth of info.  If memory serves cracks between valves was common and a non-issue, but I can’t confirm.

xd3p should be the same motor, and I know Tata (in India) was making a copy of the motor for years that they eventually made direct injection.  There was also talk of the marine xd3 with an iron head…

Brian Holm might be your best bet, but if you called around any good shop capable of aluminum head repairs should be able to fix it, but it’d be fairly pricey to remove the seats, fixt the crack, then replace seats etc etc.  

I’ve never actually heard of anyone needing to fix any diesel heads except for getting the surface machined, so kinda thinking the cracks are normal.  Only caveat being that piston protrusion should always get measured to ensure the proper HG is used.

Rabin

That's interesting that the cracks might be a non-issue.  I'm doing some other work to the engine (new turbo, adding intercooler, Giles pump upgrade, etc) and was worried the crack was a problem waiting to happen.  Be nice to know it's nothing.  Do you know how to reach Brian?   

I reached out to Brian and he said:

“Between the valves is where the diesels crack. If it's only on one cylinder it's probably not too deep yet. 3Ts seem the best of the diesels in resisting cracking.”

Brian can be reached at 8zero2-7nine3-7one68 - I’d call him and discuss specifics.

Rabin

A quick update for those with baited breath..  Rabin, thank you for Brian's contact info.  I spoke to him and he confirmed what you said and more.  The TLDR version is the cracks are typical and nothing to worry about until they hit the water jacket.  He didn't say it explicitly, but I got the impression mine is barely broken in.  I am resuming the project with the head as-is.  I expect it won't be until fall that I'll have a chance to hear it run.  Stay tuned.  

Thanks again for the assist.

Also, to anyone reading this from the future,  I'm still looking to buy a replacement/backup head should one become available.  Feel free to reach out.

Dave