2 505 5 speed turbo sedans for sale

505 guy

Greetings, I'm new to this site but am an old timey Peugeot owner enthusiast. My wife and I have owned Peugeots for over 30 years. I will be selling my 505 gas turbo sedans. I have no pictures to post as of now however I've dug out an old computer and will post pictures if I can find some. The cars are not where I am located but if anyone is interested, please email me and I will answer any questions you may have. The cars will be available to purchase in early December when I return to Cincinnati. I am open to offers. One is white, the other black. 

{ I've learned that the following sentence is incorrect as you can tell from the discussions that follow }  The black 1988 is a gray market car with a N9TEA engine, euro small bumpers and wall to wall tail lights.

It has a lousy gray leather interior in poor condition but I have an extra complete brown cloth interior that will be sold with the car. The paint on the hood trunk and roof is faded and there is some bubbling rust on the lower windshield frame.  The 1987 white one has a N9TE engine and nice gray cloth interior. Both cars run and drive, the white one has what I believe is a blown head gasket in that it steams while running but performs well. Both cars need TLC, the white one being in the better condition.  

Wow - the euro 505 sounds fantastic with the small bumpers and light panel - pics would be great. 

I'm likely much too far away to make an offer on the 1988 especially now, but would definitely want to see it saved if at all possible.  

Is there a time frame it needs to be gone by or can it stay around until spring?

Rabin

Hi, I hope to find some pictures on my old computer to download but if I don't it's going to be a couple of weeks before I return to where the cars are. I've been meaning to list the cars for sale for months and finally last night I thought I'd begin the process. I just found this website about a week ago and this is the only place I've advertised. The cars will be "saved", they're too good to go to scrap and yes, I suppose they could sit around until spring but I really hope to find new home(s) sooner than that.  I'm off to look for pictures, thanks for your interest. 

Hi, I just re-read my description and you helped me realize a small paragraph was somehow deleted. 

Both cars are five speed manual transmissions and the clutches feel fine. Brakes are also good. They've been sitting for years but were driven for the first time last week. 

I have found a few pictures of the engine compartments and distant shots of the cars that will be downloaded soon. 

Here are three mediocre pictures of the black one, as you can tell, my marketing skills are nil. I had this car loaded onto the rollback and taken to my mechanic to have the stale gas removed. It also got a new fuel pump and he noted the water pump is seeping a little. I will have more descriptive pictures in about ten days. 

505 black distant.jpg

505 black roll back.jpg

505 black eng +.jpg

....and here are three even less helpful pictures of the white one. Yes, I know that's a yellow Lotus being driven by two very young brothers but if you look closely at the top left you can see the white Peugeot actually does exist. I apologize for the vagueness of my presentation, I perhaps should've waited to advertise until I'd taken some pictures. 

505 white eng.jpeg

505 white sticker.jpg

505 white lotus.jpg

The black car isn’t a euro import or grey market car.  It’s what we’d refer to as a series 3 505 with the 1 year only in the US body.  
I also own the car’s identical twin!

I’d buy that licence panel in a heartbeat if you decide to sell it.  :)

Gorgeous Lotus BTW - Is that an Elan?  They don’t fit me very well, but so very very pretty.

Rabin

Yep, it's a 1969 Elan +2, with a surprising amount of room in the front seats. Getting in and out of the car is the hard part for this old codger.

I'm confused on the grey market car. The bumpers and headlights were not legal in the USA that year. People were allowed to import one car a year for a while back when ?  but then that door closed due to emission regulations if I remember right. 

I just did a little research and started an Off Topic thread here with this link.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/slideshow/cars-wrecked-us-rules#10

The black car is 100% North American market as we were the only market to get the turbo gas N9TEA cars.  Those euro headlights were added later (Same as mine were), but the bumpers 100% are compliant as they are massively heavy with incredibly robust impact structures behind them.

They were a one year only offering so the 88’ is likely the late production date, but it should be a 1989 model like mine.

Europe never got the series 3 cars with the massive rear bumper, but South America got similar bumpers but never got the turbo gas or V6 cars Unless they were specially imported as I understand it.

Even though I have basically the exact car, I’m still very tempted if the chassis is clean, rust free, and the paint is decent.  Mine has very little rust, but has had a hard life and will take a fair bit of time/effort/money to get sorted.

Rabin

Hello Rabin, thank you for the explanation about my black 505. I bought it a long time ago and the previous owner who I never met, advertised it as a grey, or is it gray? market vehicle. It doesn't really matter to me at all, I find it interesting that federalized turbo engines have a different identification number. 

Eric

Sorry - what did you mean by federalized turbo engines having different identification?

Ive never come across that so not sure what you mean.  N9T was the non turbo engine code for 1985 engines, intercoolers made them N9TE, and the 88/89 cars got electronic boost control which made them N9TEA engines.

Or did you mean a different identification number?

Rabin

Once again I say thanks, I've been under the impression that the black 505 was not federalized for the US market. The id numbers I referred to are the ones you explained. I've owned probably a dozen Peugeots thru the years all with big bumpers, except this one... and with what I was told when I bought it I've been mistaken. Time to change my description I suppose. 

Thank you and take care, 

Eric

That's fair. I'm not really sure what the market for restorers is like in USA right now, it's pretty slow in Australia.

Although we had a pretty decent number of Peugeots, they've never really been valued like some of the local brands.

A couple of turbos would be well received here for parts, but I don't think they'd be worth the freight, and LHD isn't very popular.

• 1 month later...

Greetings speaksgeek from LHD world, 

I believe I've sold the non microchip black 505 turbo as a whole driveable vehicle to a member here. Our restorers here in the wacky USA still appreciate what a Peugeot 505 is. Thank you for your interest.

Keep 'em alive 

whether left hand drive or right hand drive...

Eric

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...