2.3 turbo starting issues

83pgo

Well, I finally was able to get back to the car in the past few weeks and ran across a couple issues. Being it has set up for some time, I did an oil change to make sure nothing was internally damaged from what I was told it had randomly shut off while going down the road. Checked compression in all cylinders and fouund 280 in all minus #2 which was sitting at 170. I understand it may not be completely accurate since it was a cold check and I had put some oil down the cylinders to make sure I wasn't going to mess up the walls(also I had pulled the glow plugs and ran an inspection camera down to look for obvious damage from up top). All seemed minus that issue and a few weeks later came back since time had ran short, so I started to get it to go with an intermittent starting issue. Replaced the wiring connector for the oil pressure sensor and the starter solenoid, and starting to wonder if my starter is already trying to go out, I can hear it click sometimes when it doesn't start and other times it would turn over with no problem. Now for the last two problems I seem to be having. It tries to start but doesn't seem like its got enough go go juice. Loosened up the connections on top of the injectors as it seems like maybe air in the lines, as I put more fuel in with the gauge reading below zero and when I crack the lines while starting it's shooting up on cylinders 1-3, 4 seems to ooze out with some pressure, unlike the other 3. Now, it seems to be accumulating smoke in the coolant reservoir and I'm starting to get a bad feeling about that. Any suggestions on what needs to be checked next on my next run to the house?

• 4 weeks later...

Dang - Sorry for the late reply, I just saw this!

Any updates?

Smoke in the coolant tank is bad, but also something I've never heard of before, although combustion leaking into the cooling system would make sense.  HG is an easy enough repair on these, and also quite a common failure so nothing to be scared of.

Have you bled the fuel system?  Does your primer work on the filter head assembly?  

I'd start there as it sounds like you need to ensure the fuel system is properly bled and you have no leaks in the filter head that could be letting air into the system which will stop fuel from being pulled in - common failure in the primer.

Rabin