Want to sell a Peugeot 406 Coupe (pfref west coast)

Curt

Hi Curt,

US residents won’t be able to import that car until 2027 as they have a 25 year rule.
Canadians can import cars that are 15yrs old so you’ll likely need a Canadian buyer.

I’m Canadian and love diesels, but the 2-door would be a hard sell.  

Hope that helps with the planning!

Rabin

West coast of Canada and the Rocky Mountains would be a must see.  :)

If you do come to Canada keep us posted - Is the car a manual?  KMs on it?  Leather interior?

Any details will help find a buyer as well as what you’d hope to sell it for as I would imagine it would be good to have something lined up before doing your trip.

Rabin

You would have to pay import duty when it arrives in Canada if you intend to leave it here.  If you import it as a tourist (intended for re-export) then sell, you would be in legal trouble.  You should have a valuation of the car from Europe to show to Canada customs for import duties, otherwise they may choose to charge you as though the car is worth $30,000!

The 406C is a nice car but there is very little interest in such cars here, and even where there may be interest, the money offered would likely be lower than what you'd get in Austria.

It‘s manual, black leather,already 287tkm on it but needs no oil between service inspection. Seat heating fixed on the driver side(took from an other car from passenger seat ).

Exchanged two years ago,277tkm: timing belt with water pump. 10tkm ago: new front suspension (wishbones,spring,shock struts,tie rods), 2tkm: new front brakes.

For the last 6 years not driven during winter time.

Will be happy with 3600 CAD, shipping of course paid by me, taxes by the buyer.

Greets

Curt

I like the idea of doing such a trip in that car, though if you have a breakdown that will be it: no parts, no service.  The vehicles I most often see here from Europe are camper vans, like Peugeot Boxer, Fiat Ducato....both of those have some parts available at Chrysler dealers because the Ram Promaster van is the same and for some time it was offered with a diesel as well as the 280 HP V-6.  Other times I see Unimogs with Unicat expedition bodies, MAN, DAF trucks etc and those too would have no local service or repair options.  Because it costs a lot to ship a car now (more since Covid hit), a one way trip could make sense and then just abandon the car at a scrapyard?  The hassle of selling it with such high km (my Mercedes has 320K km and original clutch and no oil usage, but its market value is ZERO!) would not be worth the effort.

Maybe Hugh Logie in Alberta, who has two 406 Coupés, could be interested, but my guess is it would not be worth much more than $1000, even to him.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Mike , maybe i have to be happy when shipping+selling=0, to make my trip i ever wanted to do. I think it will be enough to know that the car is in good hands after me (enoug time invested to get ot in a good condition). How can i contact Hugh Logie?

Bgrds

Curt

I’m sure either myself our Hugh could find a home for it, I’m in Regina Saskatchewan and Hugh is just outside Calgary Alberta.  
Mike does make some good points however which is why your initial price would be a tough sell.  
I would recommend travelling with some key maintenance items, or at leases doing a very thorough stage 0 refresh not only to assure troublefree travel, but also for peace of mind for the buyers.  No idea what HDI specifics would be, but tbelt, water pump, accessory belts, and filters would be a start.  Suspension bushings, tie rods, etc etc.

No idea what shipping costs would be, or how much that ends up being, but I’d be happy to work with you to ensure you have a planned sale for your trip, but would need quite a few details for that to work well.

Rabin

• 3 weeks later...

Timing belt,incl water pump changed 8000 miles ago, complete front suspension 3 years ago(12t miles). Clutch,Turbocharger 60tmiles (broke it when i worked on the engine)..glow plugs . New injectors also 60t miles. And of course i would keep in contact with the buyer to send spare parts. 

Greets

Curt