Hello. Aussie in NY with 205 GTi

Hello all

Ive just recently immigrated to the US (Tivoli NY) and have been a Peugeot nutcase for the past 18 years! Usually Im a proactive member on Aussiefrogs.com and am looking for somewhere similar in the US! 

I knew coming to the US would mean a real lack of French cars so I brought my pride and joy with me! 

1993 205 Gti with just on 62000 miles 100000k on the clock. RHD of course being from Australia. Cannot wait for it to get here early August. Its been the longest period in my life not driving a 205! 

I would love to find a 405 Mi16 or even a 505 gti while Im here. 

Here are a few pics. I bought it from the original owner. I met him 18 years ago and this was the very car that started it all. Sadly he passed away on my birthday 2 years ago and his son only wanted me to have it. Ill never sell it understandability. 

6420E631-0BDD-439B-979B-D16B1A027965.jpeg

1A407A0D-BC02-4124-9D4C-3D2B594CF88E.jpeg

667CC37F-4881-425E-A752-5D8B4C9F61D4.jpeg

358127A1-0DC3-401E-AEC4-A27F625F943C.jpeg

CF4D4BBE-9921-4827-91AA-6FBD8D3AEC61.jpeg

Welcome to the forums Cam!  I used to frequent Aussiefrogs as well fairly often, and am sad to see they’re going to be retiring the forum soon.  We’re a much smaller lot as you can imagine, but we do enjoy members from all over the World.  
I’d happily accommodate any displaced Aussie froggers, but the name doesn’t really work for the other French car enthusiasts…  :)

LOVE your 205 and it’s pretty awesome that you decided to bring it with you!  Most folks wouldn’t even think to do something like that, so it’s truly special that you did.

I’ve only driven a 205 GTI 1.6 and it was amazing.  The telepathic steering and handling even on my short drive was a revelation.

Looking forward to updates!

Rabin

Yea cheers! It is sad to see AF being shut down. I was there as a 15hr old and now 35 so it has certainly been a wealth of knowledge there. 

I could not have left the car at home! I plan to be here for the foreseeable future and wont find one in the condition its in for the crazt money they are now selling for. 

Good to be here. Will update from time to time especially once it arrives here! 

Cam

Shouldn't be too hard to find either the 405 or a 505 with some looking, one nice thing about the North American cars is that they were very high spec, and we got the 505 Turbo (gas) which I believe Australia (and other RHD markets) did not get.  Not sure what the 505 GTI translates to model wise, we got different models (GL, S, STI, STX (v6), Turbo, and Turbo S off the top of my head...)

NY would be considered "rust belt", but there may be some well kept summer only cars in the area.

Rabin

Yes the 505 Turbo Sw8 looks to be what Im after. We only got the base, Sti and Gti. The Gti is the same as the euro GTi which had the 2.2 NA motor etc. mostly 5 speed cars in OZ. I had a 91 Gti Wagon (similar to the SW8 without the turbo) and was one if the best cars Ive owned. Lovely compliant ride and went around corners on rails. 

Where is the best place to look for one? Ive seen the websites such as http://topclassiccarsforsale.com but it seems to be fake or old etc. There are some nice wagons on there none the less. 

Regards Cam

They are hard to come by, but they are around.  I have one, but need to find the time to get the head done!

There’s a Facebook sister group to the forum (https://m.facebook.com/groups/peugeotnorthamerica/) as well as a message list serve that I host as well:  http://list.canam-peugeot.com/listinfo.cgi/peugeot-l-canam-peugeot.com

Craigslist, Kijiji, autotrader possibly?  Most cars up for sale usually surface on FB, here, or on the e-mail list.

Rabin