How to manually close a Peugeot 505 broken sunroof

Here is how to manually close the electric sunroof on a Peugeot 505 if it breaks.

Broken sunroofs are a common problem on 505’s, and when it breaks you usually need it closed sooner than you can get it fixed. Luckily, closing it manually was not difficult, but I could not find good information about how to do it. Hopefully these instructions help others.

These photos are from a 1987 505 STI US model. The sunroof cable guide broke, and the cable was loose, so the roof could easily slide forward and back. But even when slid all the way forward, the back of the sunroof did not rise up and seal with the roof, so rain and pests could get in.

IMG_2632-c.JPG

To close it manually, remove the sunroof interior liner, locate the metal bar at the back of the sunroof, and pull it forward to raise the back of the roof.

Detailed instructions follow.

1. Unfasten 4 plastic retainers at front of sunroof interior liner

I slid the sunroof about half way open, then worked my fingers in between the metal roof and the hardboard liner. There were four plastic retainer pins along the front edge of the liner holding it in place.

I started with the middle two, and worked my fingers around them until I could pop the liner down and disengage the retainers.

IMG_2635-c.thumb.JPG.a7d4b1cb8ce7fb7fe7ef2b59bfb6ff27.JPG

I released the retainers near the edges the same way. They are a little harder because the liner is held between the roof and the tracks, and doesn’t flex as easily. I worked gently and gradually, and was able to pop out all four retainer pins without damage.

IMG_2637-c.thumb.JPG.f3d7aeed9ab7c9e2796132a4cf5a73cc.JPG

2. Remove the sunroof liner

Once the four retainers were popped out, I slid the sunroof about half open and gently moved the liner forward a little bit. It helps to flex it down into the car a little, then gently work it side-to-side as you pull forward. As it got looser, I pushed the sunroof back, then I flexed the liner to fit between the edges of the opening and pulled it down from the inside.

IMG_2639-c.thumb.JPG.b1f412c4cee0ff6f38d756cedf4e5832.JPG

3. Locate the bar that raises the back of the sunroof

I slid the sunroof all the way forward, and could see the silver stamped metal bar that runs across the back of the sunroof. It is pretty far back, and only the front edge was visible when it was in the down position.

IMG_2641-c.thumb.JPG.0d1f294b9e640dde1dfd8cb1f6113f21.JPG

4. Slide the bar forward to raise the back of the sunroof

I slid the bar forward, and pins at the back corners pivoted up to raise the back of the roof. (Note how much farther forward the bar is compared to previous photo.)IMG_2649-c.thumb.JPG.b95c5095cf89f618c6d92cfc9a965826.JPG

In this view of the back left corner of the sunroof, you can see the metal bar across the bottom (between green lines), and the gold pin (blue circle) holding up the plastic fitting and metal brace raising the back of the roof. The pin rotates up when the bar moves forward.

IMG_2655-c_ann.thumb.JPG.f48bc859ac73f74e41fb3be98339a320.JPG

5. Anchor the bar

Although the bar does not slide easily, I did not trust it to stay in place. I used a length of insulated wire (blue) to tie the bar to the front track runner. That prevents the bar from sliding back, which prevents the back of the sunroof from lowering, which prevents the sunroof from opening.

IMG_2664-c.thumb.JPG.02acfd3da1e57047c32a8f411b910ae1.JPG

Done!

Now the roof is closed tight, and won’t open until the wire is removed and the bar is pushed back.

IMG_2665-c.thumb.JPG.d8b86b0a655420933b7ce61d6f451330.JPG

I’m not sure how hard it is to replace the liner with the sunroof closed, but it’s probably easier to put back than it was to take out. (I am leaving it out for now in case the new owner wants to repair the sunroof first.)

Once the liner is re-installed, it would be hard to open the sunroof again. If it were not anchored (like I did with the wire), you might be able to pull on the cable from inside the left rear fender and pull the bar back. Otherwise, you would have to remove the liner to release the bar, but that would be hard if you could not get your fingers in to the retainer pins. You might need to remove some of the main headliner to get access.