1987 Peugeot 505 STI for sale – WELL PRESERVED!

TK-505

1987 Peugeot 505 STI with bright red exterior and dark gray cloth interior. It has a 4 cylinder ZDJL engine and manual transmission. 62,020 original miles.

It is beautifully preserved. It was kept in a carport from 1987-1990, then garaged ever since. The “F” autodecal on the back is one I personally bought in Sochaux France, near the factory where this car was built.

The interior is in excellent condition. The seats look new. The front floor mats have light wear, and the rear are like new. The interior trim is all intact and unfaded. The dash and instruments are neat and unworn.

The body is in excellent condition and has no rust. But the sunroof cable guide is broken, and the roof does not close tightly. The front right fender was hit and repaired around 1989. The underside is solid, with no rust and little dirt.

The power train is intact, but has not run for more than 10 years. The exhaust system is good. Brakes are mechanically good, but need flush. The master cylinder was replaced under warranty in the 1980s. The belts, hoses and gaskets are all original and must be replaced. The tires must be replaced (certainly flat spotted), although the spare is like new.

I will also include new OEM parts: spare gas cap, spare oil drain plug, 4 oil filters w/crush washers, and 3 air filters. And if I can find it, an oil drain plug wrench.

This would be a great restoration project, but if necessary it could be a fantastic parts source instead. It is extremely rare to find a 505 interior with so little wear.

I have finally convinced myself it needs to go to someone who will actually use it for something (but not scrap!). I am open to any offers, but need to transfer the whole car instead of parting it out myself. My email is [email protected]. The car is in Central Ohio.

More photos are in the vehicle registry.

505sti_758_02_2460m-c.JPG

505sti_758_03_2578m-c.JPG

505sti_758_04_2506m-c.thumb.JPG.c36b7fe7d4573c0439dae0a3bf39b746.JPG505sti_758_06_2596-c.JPG

505sti_758_08_2594-c.JPG

505sti_758_11_2572-c.JPG

505sti_758_15_supplies-c.JPG

Wow TK - The car looks really good!

Can you provide any more details on why it was parked or what exactly is wrong with the motor?

Guessing it would need to be trailered, but it it was a driver then it’d be might get more interest from farther away.

Rabin

Here are answers to questions several people asked. Sorry it is long, but your interest inspired me.

More photos are in the Vehicle Registry in this forum. I added a couple more of the engine compartment and trunk.

I am the original owner, and I have service records. The last service I see was an exhaust repair in 1996.

I bought it in August 1987. It was my daily driver for about a year, then I bought a truck for daily commute and drove the Peugeot on weekends or for fun. (And wow, was it fun to drive!) I drove it often until the mid 90’s, and then less and less as I got busier, maybe a short trip every few months. And then even less by 2000, and I had to plan ahead to charge the battery because of course each drive was later than I intended.

Then in the mid 2000’s, the sunroof cable guide broke and I couldn’t get the roof totally closed. That reminded me it was 20 years old and should have preventive maintenance (coolant, belts, hoses, etc). I drove it a couple more times, but sort of decided not to put more wear on it until it was fixed up. Then I stopped renewing the registration until it was ready to use again. Then suddenly it was this year and I still hadn’t had it fixed.  I finally admitted I am not really going to use it, and keeping it in my garage is wasting it. (Lesson: Use your car, do not be like me.)

What problems does it have? The engine hasn’t run in over 10 or 15 years, so battery, coolant, oil, belts & hoses, and probably head gasket. Brakes probably need flush too. Mice have been around, so although wiring looks good it might need a fix somewhere.

It needs new tires. The current ones are old and flat-spotted from sitting. The spare is good, so maybe could tow it on 2 wheels if used that and another good one.

The sunroof cable guide is broken (common for 505's) and roof doesn’t close tight. The AC needs a recharge. The trunk hold-open cylinder doesn’t hold.

I do not have a firm price. I think it is worth more than scrap, but less than a car that still runs. I want it to go to good use, not make money.

• 2 weeks later...

Several people are interested in this car, and the offers are getting higher than a non-running car usually gets.  The worst things about this car are that it hasn't run in over 15 years, and the sunroof is broken and won't close tight.  But the best part is definitely how little wear it has.

I posted more photos that Bean suggested of well known "high rust" spots so you can see for yourself:
- windshield lower left corner
- left rear wheel well backward view, forward view, and exterior forward view
- left rocker panel forward view
- right rocker panel backward view (sorry, it's blurry)

The pictures aren't great, but you can see how clean and rust-free this car is.  Most pics are left side because the right is pretty hard to reach.  It looks the same on both sides, but I'll try to get better right side pics tomorrow.

BTW, can anyone suggest how to temporarily close the sunroof?  I can push it all the way forward, but can't figure out how to raise the back.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for posting the additional pics!

The only way to get the sunroof up is to pop the cover off the sunroof, then you’ll see the bar that goes across that you can manually push forward - this pivots the back of the panel up and locks it in place.  Pretty sure they’re just plastic pins that you need to pop out to remove the panel similar to door cars, but do a search on the forum as I’m sure there’s info on it.

Rabin

If you have to adjust where the sunroof is to move the sunroof back to remove that panel, you can go to the sunroof motor in the trunk section.  There is a special sized bolt fitting in the center (funny oval head).   My original 505 came with a tool that was a little handle.  I had lost mine, so I used a pair if vicegrips to latch onto to turn the motor and move the works back.

I successfully closed the sunroof following Bean's advice.  It wasn't very difficult, and is the sort of thing you could do at the side of the road (or under a bridge) if you ever had to.

I wrote up the instructions along with some photos in the "Peugeot 50x Series discussion" category at https://www.canam-peugeot.com/forum/index.php?/topic/4256-how-to-manually-close-a-peugeot-505-broken-sunroof/

This car is sold!  Thank you to everyone who expressed an interest.

When I decided to sell, I was worried it would take a long time to find anyone willing to consider it, but was pleasantly surprised that many people responded right away and showed genuine interest.  It helps me feel better about finally letting it go after holding on so long, partly for fear it would be hard to find a good home for it.

These really are great cars that are a lot of fun to drive, as all of you know.  I am glad this website will help me feel like I am still part of the Peugeot fan community even when I don't own one anymore.