Peugeot 505 Stx rack and pinion issues

Hello, wondering if anyone can help me out

i have a 1989 Peugeot STX. Took it to the shop because I had a power steering leak. Found out to be my rack and pinion.  

I ordered a refurbished rack and it is not installed but now I have more issues. 

while cruising, my steering wheel locks at certain points when I turn.  When I turn the steering wheel at the 2 o’clock or the 11 o’clock position it locks and also when I do a full turn to my left or right it does it again  

when I jack front end up, the steering wheel moves freely without any issues while the car is off. When I move the front tire, I can feel the locking happening again. Not sure if the refurbished part is bad, low pressure, bad pinion? Any suggestions? 

i posted a video where you can hear where it locks 

Its not in the steering column, ruled that out.  I went to a few mechanics, they say that I may have low pressure or the power steering pump is starting to go.  
I feel like the issue may be a bad pinion. Or just a bad rack itself. I didn’t have any of these issues before changing that rack and pinion. 

so far I jacked the car up, drained the power steering fluid. With no fluid in the Peugeot, when I turn the tire , I don’t feel like locking.  I refilled it, reconnected the high pressure hose. Reconnected the battery, turned the car on and there it is again, feel it in the steering wheel. Turn the car offc manually turn the tire, and  feel it locking again. 

so right now I’m changing the pump. Though I don’t think it’s that, it’s something to rule out.  

image.jpg

Is it locking rigidly like a metallic solid lock, or are you losing assist and it’s just very hard?

Your car should have variable power assist which varies the assist based on speed, and if your controller acts up then it could be like losing the assist.

If that’s the case unplugging the controller should return the assist, it just won’t be variable with speed anymore.

Rabin

I’m curious if the power steering line possibly collapsed inside? Something that would prevent fluid flow - but then again the pump would be screaming if it was blocked.

Only thing you can do is to isolate the systems until you narrow it down, but it’s definitely a head scratcher if it works fine with no fluid in the system.

Rabin

BTW - Your Speedo cable is fraying badly most likely at the transmission which is causing the speedo to bounce. This is a long shot, but try unplugging the sensor on your speedo cable. Or disconnect the speedo cable at the transmission.

I wonder if the variable assist is causing the locking somehow?

Rabin

8 hours ago, Loso2690 said:

The torsion bar inside the pinion feels springy.

So it really isn't the steering column and you will soon find out if it was the pinion.

Does it looks like the refurbished pinion had the top seal changed or was it just cleaned and painted black?

If in the end it is falty and it's a 10 teeth pinion I might be interested by it even if it's junk.

• 3 weeks later...

So it turned out to be a bad pinion. Swapped it out with my old one and everything is working fine now. Thanks all for your help. 

another question, my oil temp gauge  doesn’t work anymore. Has been like that for a few months now. Where is the temperature sensor and what should I check to correct the issue?