Peugeot 505 engine swap

Vash

Hi, everyone. My name is Vash. Nice to meet you.
I wanted to tell you a very crazy idea that I have, only idea because I have been presented with various opportunities and I wanted to discuss them with you.

The other day, I had the crazy urge of buying a 505 without a engine (there’s a lot where I live) and installing a 1.6hdi. I do want to know that you think, and if it’s even possible.

I have a list of pros and cons if you want me to explain them too. But I'd be interested to know what you think of the idea.

Thank you so much!

Welcome to the forum Vash!

Any of the HDi diesels would be a fantastic donor for the 505, but the trick would be mating it to the transmission, and the the electric adaptations needed to run the motor.

Doable for sure - but would take a good amount of work and a fair amount of expertise.

Rabin

7 minutes ago, Bean said:

Welcome to the forum Vash!

Any of the HDi diesels would be a fantastic donor for the 505, but the trick would be mating it to the transmission, and the the electric adaptations needed to run the motor.

Doable for sure - but would take a good amount of work and a fair amount of expertise.

Rabin

Fantastic, thank you for answering! And yes, one of the main concerns I had was that of transmission. Since the HDI is transverse and the 505 is RWD. That would be a great challenge.
But what I hadn't thought about was electrical, that's where I think, as you say, a good level of knowledge would be needed.

Goce here on the forums made his AWD 405 Mi-16 into a RWD car, so it’s amazing what can be done with deep skills and motivation.

A donor car for the HDi engine would be needed to ensure everything needed for the motor to run in the 505 was readily available.  

Mating the engine to transmission would be a very similar process to How Goce did his 405, but one other concern would be to verify the transmission and final drive ratio would be a suitable match for the engine.

Rabin

Hello Vash, and welcome to the forum. Converting peugeot to diesel's, is something that i've done couple of times. And i have knowledge about the HDI engines, that said i'm more of an old school XUD guy. HDI parts are much more expensive. The 1,6 HDI is a ford design engine and in my opinion is not very good, my advice is go with 1,9TD XUD9ate or with 2.0HDI engine, for the HDI engine you will need an entire donner car because you need the wiring and computers, everything down to the ignition lock and key, because of the key transponder, attaching any engine and gearbox is triky but is doable.

Welcome here.

The 1.6 HDI "DV6" is a PSA-Ford engine but it seems to be (very) loosely based on the PSA TU engine so that some tooling could be reused.

I too think the 2.0 HDI has more potential but on the other hand going with the 1.6 HDI means that you can also bolt the 1.6 turbo petrol 150hp EP6DT as they have the same bolt pattern and the engine blocks are generally close.

BMW was using a longitudinal mounted EP6 as the N13 engine, I don't know if the bellhousing and engine mounts can be used on a transverse EP6/DV6 but it's worth checking.

There is a bellhousing to mate a XUD/XU engine to a BA7/5 gearbox, it's on the JPX Montez a Brazilian 4x4. The 2.0 HDI have the same bolt pattern and the early ones are slanted at the same 30° angle.

• 9 months later...

Hello guys. Jeff here. I am planning to start saving up for a car so as to get one next year. I have always had a thing for project cars and I have been thinking of having one of my own. Just a disclaimer, I am not a mechanic in any serious way but I can handle my way around machines and cars comfortably. So here is where I kind of need guidance and assistance. I have been, for a long time as said above, wanting a project car. At first, I was leaning towards Peugeot 504 as my project car, but now I am finding myself leaning towards the 505 just for it's looks. So this is what I had in mind. I get a Peugeot 505 shell without an engine and transmission and swap it with another engine and transmission, possibly a modern one that can fit. I don't mind automatic or manual, FWD or RWD. Though I understand the 505 is a RWD so converting it to FWD might be a challenge. I also don't want to modify the engine in any way for the purpose of more power, I just want an engine that is reliable and works good. So here is my question, first, is this endeavor logical for someone who wants to get their first car or it's just easier to save up and buy a ready to drive car? Second, which engines and transmission combo can best fit the 505 apart from the HDi mentioned above. I have read somewhere about Toyota 1JZ, is this a fit?  And lastly, how will the handling of the car be if the transplant is successful?

@Jeff 

1JZ is brilliant swap, but you need to think about gearbox :) - if you choose manual BMW M57 GS5 gearbox, i'm 100% sure that you will have problem to fit in body. 

One guy in Hungary, swap SR20 and it's fit very well.

Other thing : RWD is best way, no sense to make it FWD... 

I'm in the process of engine swap in my 505, we're putting M73b54 + Manual gearbox from bmw e36 2.5tds ZF + e92 suspension front + E92 suspension rear. 

It's hard but we can make it. 

I’d recommend finding and using a donor car to make it as easy and cost effective as possible, and totally agree on keeping it RWD!

@PhoebePeanut - you just can’t drop that swap info without your own build thread!  To clarify though - The m73b54 is the 5.4L V12 motor, m51d25 2.5L diesel transmission from the e36 bolts on?  

v12 would likely indicate a drift car build, or some other racing?  Or is it a show car build?

Rabin

I'm at the beginning of a similar project.

As the 504/505 were designed with I4 and V6 engines, it seems like sticking to that sort of choice makes things easier.

I've seen a couple of V8's, which are not much longer than an I4, and an RB26 which is a drift car, so fairly unconcerned by firewall and length issues. https://www.facebook.com/505GTR There's been a couple of SR20's here in Australia too.

I'm planning to stay in the family and use a modern Peugeot I4. I know someone who used a Peugeot 2L HDi in his Range Rover, using all the ECU and engine loom from the donor car, while removing the immobiliser by re-flashing it, so that would certainly be possible.

One of the big issues is choosing a transmission. Retaining the factory trans and adapting only the bellhousing is probably the easiest way, but transmissions have moved on, much like engines. Unfortunately, the tunnel isn't designed to fit most of the larger autos out there today, and there's also the issue of adapting the torque tube to any choice that's made, or making up front and rear transmission mountings if you want to convert it to a regular tailshaft.

The 505 has a 90° V6 so a compact V8 like the one from Audi should fit.

Also do not forget that the diesel engine is not exactly small so a small bore V8 could be even shorter.

The easy way to swap a new engine should be to keep the same engine family, mosty the Renault variants like the 2.0 turbo or 2.0 12v from the R21, 2.2 12v from the Safrane or 2.1 turbo diesel.

There’s an absolute legend of a gentleman in North Carolina that is swapping a modern Camaro v6 with 6sp auto into a 505 Turbo complete with front and rear suspensions, subframes and brakes.

I was in awe of his work, and his ambition - But then he said he was in his 70’s I was just gobsmacked!

I’ll get an update from him and do up a build thread for him.  Summers are when he does lots of boating and such, so he only makes progress in the “winter” they have.

If I was doing an engine swap like this, it really does become easier when you swap complete systems in rather than try to merge them.  Donor car’s complete drivetrain is a lot easier to do rather than trying to figure out where to splice it in.  Normally the driveshaft is a good place - but the torque tube eliminates that pretty quickly.  It’s doable if course, but it’s not easy by any stretch.

Rabin

• 4 months later...

Your 505 SX has a 1.8 I think, the easy swap is the 2.0 version of the same engine but that's only if you can find one.

If you can't find another 505 with the right parts as a donor car even the 2.0/2.2 SOHC engine also used by Renault can be tricky because you won't have the right bellhousing.