86 505 STI XN6 Restoration

Jayden M

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 11/4/2020 at 4:29 PM, Goce said:

You can try grabbing the hex with a pair of vicegips and using a screwdriver to push against the inlet manifold and rotate the injector, also some lubricant is a good idea, WD40 around it

I tried doing that, seemed like a great idea at first, and I had the injectors soaked in PB Blaster for a 1.5 days, and kept sure it was full of it too - then I put the vice grips on injector as tight as I could, and used a real long crowbar, and put it on the Valve cover. Gotta be at least 200 ft lbs of force, and those things are still not out haha. I actually ended up denting the valve cover a bit (yikes). It was in the far corner, so It shouldn't be a big deal. Intake manifold going to have to come off I guess, but that means I will need a new gasket. I noticed rockauto carries gasket for the XN1 engine, are they the same gasket?

I'm thinking, we are missing something, get a torch look down where the injector is seated, there must be something holding it in, like a C clip or something. Intake manifold gaskets are easy to make, any parts store sell gasket making material, trace the old one and cut it with scissors. I've bought me a roll of klingerit gasket material and i've been making my own gaskets last 10 years, only gaskets i'm buying is exhaust and head gaskets.

• 2 weeks later...

I replaced the injectors haha. Tried it a bunch of times and sometimes it would idle (roughly), but it would do it. Usually as soon as I hit the gas it dies, but occasionally it would rev up, and once it revs it runs pretty good. I think im going to try driving it with my dad ha! I for sure want to get the idling situation figured out. Maybe its just the dead in-tank fuel pump. Or the old spark plugs that have been in there forever. Or the accumulator.. so many things. Best day ever !

Engine idles pretty rough, but once I get the idle sorted, I am going to try taking the rear window from another 505 and put it on the STI (since a tree busted it), though the frame is a bent a little, so im not sure if a normal 505 window will fit anymore. After the window I have new seats, and interior panels to put in. And to finish it off I'd like to swap out the older style tail-lights with the 89 style tail lights.

Thanks everyone for helping me get this car fixed!!

New plugs have crush washers, so you can feel when they start to crush and when they stop crushing - that's when I stop.  Easiest would be to Google torque spec of the plugs and just use that if you really want a torque spec, but just make very sure to use a little anti-seize on the threads.

Personally I liked the NGK v-groove plugs for these cars.

Rabin

I go with good and tighten, on spark plugs you'll feel it stop, 1/4 turn from hand tight is a good point to start, try a bit harder if it turns a bit more then leave it there. Also check the transmission fluid, automatics have a habit to leak if not used for a long time.

I Let the car run for a while, and the entire time it is full of white smoke, though I really dont think its a cracked head, and the smell of the smoke is a burney smell that you want to get away from because it stinks, any ideas what may cause this?

Diff uses 80W90 gear oil. Smoke is probably water in fuel, or fuel in the exhaust, if memory serves you hydrolocked this engine, all that fuel went in the exhaust. More you run the engine with fresh fuel it will run better, i often find that piston rings loosen up when car is driven and used the engine slow down the car on decell. I hope this makes sense and helps

Pics of the leak will help - shocks are oil filled dampers, but it's not a hydraulic suspension.  

White smoke is usually water or coolant.  Tough to say really as it sounds like it could be oil or fuel.  Did you change the oil before running it?  

XN6's usually only ever need head gaskets - heads don't usually crack like the turbo motors do.

Rabin

yes I changed oil&filter. I dont think its coolant because it does not smell sweet at all. I think its related to fuel. I might just rev it around my neighborhood for a little while, and hope the smoke clears up. just imagine a small cloud at the exhaust.

Its been 1 year since I first started on this car, and believe it or not, I have gone backwards. A year ago, when I first started restoring this car, It had a dead fuel pump, so I used a spare one that was a little weak for the car, and the car would start right up, and idle everytime, and it would rev up, and you could totally drive it, however it wasnt running perfectly, though it ran better than it ever has even better than it does now.. which is a little annoying.

Anyway back to the point, I have been outside for a few hours trying starting it. When I first go out there it takes 1 or 2 tries, and then it will idle (roughly), but after multiple more attempts I cant/barely get it to start anymore, it almost seems the engine runs better when cold than warm?? Possibly the engine is getting to much fuel?

Havnt driven it yet, honestly I cant drive a manual yet, and my dad wont drive it until its running right.

Car runs decent at high rpm, but only after getting warmed up can it idle.

After running engine at high rpm it is extremely difficult to start the engine again. (20-60 seconds of starter action)

I cant tell if its running lean or rich.