86 505 STI XN6 Restoration

Jayden M

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oops - just watched it and the MB is held in different.  They do just pull out but this might be better for removal:  https://forums.fourtitude.com/showthread.php?3508551-Awesome-Fuel-Injector-Removal-Tool-for-CIS-and-CIS-E!!!!!!

The testing and cleaning should be the same however.  Good info and it does sound like the injectors are crap - Especially the one that filled the cylinder with fuel!

Rabin

Edited by Bean
Fixed link

You need to undo the fuel lines from the injectors before pulling them off, but you shouldn’t have to pull them from the Fuel distributor.  If you pull lines off you should run them into bottles and ensure they all flow fuel and that it’s clean fuel.

From memory the injectors aren’t held in with retainers like the Mercedes video - Pull them straight out like the VW article linked after.

Rabin

I fixed the link.  A slide hammer and some ingenuity should work well, but there's lots on line for building DIY cleaning set ups and tools.  This one looks like a great way to clean them, but I'd use a syphoning blow gun and some BG44 or Liqui-Moly injector cleaner to blow through until it sprayed nice.

fuel injector cleaner 001 (Large).jpg

I cant even get off the line going to the injectors... I tried twisting them, literally standing on the engine, but they wont budge. Nearly ripped a line. The injectors I think have rusted, and swollen squeezing the lines onto the injectors, and then the fuel lines themselves have probably stiffened, making it even harder to get the lines off. I may have to just focus on taking the injectors out, and then replace both the injectors and the fuel lines.... like jeez.

You need to use a good penetrating oil like Aerokroil or an ATF/Acetone 50:50 mix.  PB Blaster isn't bad in a pinch either - just keep soaking it down as often as you can.

I'd also suggest clamping the injectors with vise grips locking them into something solid, some flare nut wrenches on the fitting, and then hitting the wrench with a hammer to free the line nut.

Secret will be soaking the injector and the nut down with penetrating oil for at least a couple days.

Rabin

Alright, I'll soak injectors for a few days before messing with it again. I had sprayed PB blaster a bit before but more couldnt hurt. If that doesnt work, I could drill into the injector, and then use a pry bar, but that is a little excessive haha.

Yup - soak the crap out of them. 

I'd do a slide hammer with a U attachment that hooks just under the line fitting nut.  Get the injector out and then worry about removing the fittings from them.

Rabin