86 505 STI XN6 Restoration

Jayden M

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Plugs would be white if it was running lean, tan is perfect, black is usually rich or burning excessive oil.

Plugs can also foul with it running so rich, so new plugs might solve a lot of the running issues.

BTW - How’d the injectors finally come out?

Rabin

Took a long screwdriver, and stuck it into the crack around the injector and the intake. And just pushed as hard as I could, and slowly they came out. I bent the metal screwons, but I think it worked out ok. :D I think the temperature actually effected them coming out.

• 3 weeks later...

The original fuel pump for this car starting working again (weird), so I stuck it back on the car thinking maybe the new fuel pump I got was too low pressure. I also got a new fuel accumulator and installed it. Car wont even start now, even after priming the fuel pump over 65 times! Yes there is gas in the tank, im thinking since the intank fuel pump is broken, it is causing the external pump to not be able to get any fuel or that I put the accumulator on backwards... anyone know which nozzle on the accumulator goes to the filter vs fuel pump?

Im thinking the fuel distributor must be the cause... is there some way I can test for a faulty fuel distributor without a pressure test kit?, I think I have finally gathered proper symptoms of the car:

When Cold

- Easy to start
 - Hard/Impossible to stay running

When Warm/Hot

- Super super hard to start
 - Can usually stay running sometimes even idle, but either way it runs rough.

Whether the car is hot or cold, for the 1 or 2 seconds after it starts it seems to run good, but when the cold start injector turns off, all goes badly. Also I can easily keep the car running (hot or cold) with a bit of carb cleaner.

Thanks.

As i've said before i'm no expert in those engines, but are you sure you are having constant spark, staff like alarms can cut spark or fuel after starting, also on older cars water in the distributor cap can cause the symptoms you are describing, i've been there at a car wash pulling the distributor cap off and wiping it and waiting to dry completely, a neighbor a had condensation problems in his distributor and every morning, till it got some heat to dry the cap it would backfire like crazy, i finally got tired getting woken and took some silicone and seals his cap to the distributor body that helped and few weeks later he totaled that car.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally I have found this issue..... When I take out the 4 fuel injectors, and prime the fuel system 20 times, and then I hit the starter for a long time, there is NO fuel coming out of the injectors... With the 4 injectors out, the car still starts how it normally would, which was kind of funny.

So i need a new distributor... those are hundreds of dollars... :(

Fuel now coming out the injectors! - took the fuel tank out, and put it next to the fuel pump under the car. Removed the intank pump, and ran a fuel line from the external pump straight into the tank, and boom fuel sprays at high pressure and fairly equally into my test water bottles. After putting the injectors in, it will no longer start... plugs are getting spark... huh...

fuel is now spraying, but now it wont even start...?    help me

Are you still getting spark?  And are you sure the plugs aren’t fouled?  Fuel spray should also change as you move the air plate up and down.  

Ether / starting fluid will usually fire even with fouled plugs, just be very careful with it.

Rabin

• 4 months later...

help

Cleaned out my garage, and shoved this car in it.

Bought a fuel distributor from Rob Courtier... Made no difference.

Still... starts great, runs great for about 3 seconds then dies slowly.

No fuel out the 4 injectors

Lots of fuel coming out the return line in the trunk (supposedly normal)

The distributor rob sent me had some gunk buildup on the plate.. I cleaned it off. To my surprise the car runs and idles just fine and steadily now.

still TONS of grey/white smoke out the back.. ? Yet it seems to run great lol

White smoke is usually coolant - does it smell sweet?  XN6 engines were prone to head gaskets going, and engines that have sat a long time can also have liner seal issues at the bottom of the liners.  

Best bet so to just monitor all the fluids and try to get some time and heat cycles into the motor and they might just self correct.

Rabin

It has the same coolant level after running it for a while. Exhaust smell is mostly a old burnt smell.

I had some smoke up front too, but that was just me spilling oil on the exhaust that is finally burning away

Hopefully the longer you run it the better it'll get - just keep an eye on fluid levels.

If it doesn't stop, you can likely pull the plugs to isolate which cylinder might be the cause as the plug from the cylinder creating the spoke should show that it's not burning clean or it's burning something else.

Rabin

So for all this testing i'v had a seperate fuel can and a line directly to the external pump, and thats how I got car to run. After putting the tank back in, and hooking it up appropriately, the car is doing same junk again - Starting and then dieing immediately. Maybe the intank pump is blocking flow? I know it doesnt work.

Runs good with engine cold - no smoke.

As it warms up the car puts out more and more smoke. (white/grey smoke). And the engine starts running worse nearly stalling after fully warming up. Idle goes from 1700 when cold, down to 600-700 after warm (sometimes stalling). Any ideas? :P

no idea why my text has blue around it

That does keep consistent with coolant getting into the combustion - as the car warms up it will build coolant pressure which could be finding its way into the cylinders.

I’d pull the plugs right after it dies to see if the plugs give you any clues.

Pressure testing cooling system with the plugs out would tell / confirm it’s head gasket.

Rabin

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, PeugeotPilot said:

Just came across this thread, and I'm curious as to how things are going with it now.  Any news to report, Jayden?

Not much has changed really. Still tryna figure it out... Are you good with these XN6 engines?

Been thinking about just driving it, since it runs super well for 5 minutes. But the warmer it gets the more smoke pools out. I'v ran the car a bit now trying to figure it out, the coolant level has maintained the same, which is wonderful, and probably means not a head gasket. After a late night running it the smoke appeared blue under a bright light, so now I am thinking it is oil getting burnt (smoke smells burny, but I am not familiar with exhaust smoke smells).

Not sure if burnt oil explains the extreme rough running after warm up though. The idle goes from 1700 (cold) to 600 (warm), sometimes it gets the point where it feels like its going to stall.

Jayden, I do have some experience with the XN6 as I've owned a few over the years.  The first thing is to determine what's actually burning.  Either large amounts of coolant or oil being burned in the combustion chambers will affect the idle and make it run rough.  1700 rpm is way too high though, even when cold.  It should idle around 1000 rpm (around 850-900 rpm if I recall correctly but I don't have my manuals in front of me at the moment).

If the car is smoking, there are three things it can normally be:

- White smoke that smells sweet indicates burning coolant.

- Black smoke that smells like gasoline indicates that the car is running extremely rich.

- Blue smoke that smells like...well, burning oil...indicates burning oil.

That's one clue.  Another is, are you getting cross-contamination in the oil or coolant?  When you look in the expansion bottle, is it clean or is there oil in there sitting on top, or coating the sides of the bottle?  Since you've changed the oil, is the level remaining steady or is it increasing (which would suggest either fuel or coolant is diluting it excessively) or is it dropping over time (burning)?  All engines burn a bit of oil, but in a healthy engine this is replaced by fuel that gets past the piston rings during normal operation, so the oil level remains constant, in theory.  If it's not, then that's a clue as well.

The spark plugs tell their own story, and I think it would be helpful if you could take some pictures of them and upload them here.  The bottom line is that something is not going right in the combustion chambers if the car is making a bunch of smoke and running poorly, and once you know what is actually going on in there, you'll know which systems to troubleshoot.

One thing to try too - get the engine running and pop the cap off the coolant expansion tank and watch for bubbles - a lot of them - as the engine warms up.  If you start to see bubbling in the coolant, that is often caused by combustion gases forcing their way past a failed head gasket and into the cooling system.

Changing a head gasket is not the end of the world, if it comes to that.  But without some pretty good evidence that it's the source of the problem, I wouldn't tear the engine apart.

The more information you can provide, the better.  I'm curious myself now as to what the problem actually is.

13 hours ago, PeugeotPilot said:

get the engine running and pop the cap off the coolant expansion tank and watch for bubbles

Ok, I tried this as well and no bubbles :P. Also the coolant looks good, no contamination. However on the oil level.... I changed the oil and put like 4-4.5 quarts back in (like the manual says) And now after running a bit the oil level reads ridiculously high. I even let .5 quarts back out, and still its super high. I assume that relates to the blue oil burning smoke. When I smell the dipstick i feel like i can smell gas, but I am not familiar with any car smells really. :P 

I guess I can pull the plugs for some pictures if that helps.

Looks like fuel is mixing with the oil somehow?? Car used to backfire a few months ago before I changed the distributor (it ran very rough). Now after a new distributor it runs good, just didnt change oil after rough running. I dont know how rough running can cause oil and gas to mix. I am still learning.:P

Also to add on to what I said ^ - When I first went to restore this car one of the injectors had broken completely dumping ALL fuel into a cylinder (engine turned over slowly/not at all due to over-flooding of gas), and all the oil got contaminated horribly. I changed the oil since then, but perhaps that caused this issue to be reoccurring.? just a thought.