405 Mi16 Restoration.

Jayden M

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I tested the Coolant temp, airflow, IAC,  RPM sensor for a ohms and voltage reading and all was within spec. I am really having some trouble getting this car working well, but I will persevere. While the engine was running (on i think 1 and sometimes 2 cylinders) I had me a Tee'd in intake hose for me to spray in Carb cleaner. While spraying carb cleaner the engine runs nicely. This indicates a very lean mixture. Other than the ECU, I have no idea why it would be lean if the airflow meter, coolant temp and rpm sensor are working. Of course there is the intake leak possibility but I really tracked down all the hoses and found no leaks.

Any suggestions?

5 hours ago, SRDT said:

Maybe a bad connexion on the +12v side of the injectors or on the fuel pump

Possibly on the injectors, but the fuel pump I have powered by an external power supply. I do know the injectors are firing (I can hear and feel them clicking), I don't know if they are fired for the right amount of time though, plus the fuel pressure is within spec. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/13/2022 at 6:56 PM, SRDT said:

Injectors are supplied with +12V by the same relay than the ECU, the ECU fires injectors by supplying a ground.

If the wiring is fine you should have the same voltage at pin 37 on the ECU and at the injectors.

Hey SRDT, sorry for taking so long to check this, but I found the voltage on pin 37 is the exact same as the voltage at the injectors

Have you checked your distributor components? I had an ongoing misfire issue, plugs fouling, poor running when it ran at all. I checked and replaced a lot of parts trying to track it down. It turned out to be a newly replaced rotor that had a defect in its insulation and was shorting out to the cam shaft when the car warmed up. It was new along with the cap so I didn't suspect it. 

• 3 months later...

Its been a while since i'v posted about this car, but I havnt forgotten it. I just finally found a major issue. I pulled the timing belt cover off and the exhaust cam is 4 or 5 teeth off from where it should be. I'm so relieved to have finally found an issue, but very concerned that the valves are probably damaged. Im going to stick a boroscope into the cylinders and try to peek at the valves, and then I will redo the timing belt.

• 2 weeks later...

Looked further into the Cam timing to find it actually was correct... I was just checking it wrong. I'v decided to pause work on all my other projects until I get somewhere with this car.

I pulled the plugs and they are all oily and black with less than 100 miles on them - not sure what this means. I pulled the distributor cap and took some pictures of it and the rotor - Can anyone tell me if this is normal wear? there is almost no metal sticking out of the Rotor. The car continues to idle extremely rough, with occasional revups the car does on its own. Any throttle makes it run even worse or die, but immediately after I let off the throttle the rpm actually goes up for a split second.

Mi16Rotor2.jpg

Mi16RotorCap2.jpg

Mi16Rotor.jpg

Mi16Cap.jpg

Try pulling the rotor off and looking closely at the insulating material that is on the back. I took a picture of mine and uploaded it.  Theres a tiny hole near bottom of pic,  impossible to see when the rotor is attached, and also what looks to be a weakened area up to the left. Majority of the spark was probably shorting straight to the camshaft. 
Cleaning up and installing the  old rotor and cap fixed the rough idle, fouled plugs and all the ugliness. 
Bad quality control, inferior aftermarket parts.
A mechanic friend that works on  older BMW and Daimler cars says it’s gotten much  harder to find good aftermarket parts in the last few years.

64D65B5D-7CD2-417E-A5C4-862D9633B627.jpeg

970D9469-14CA-4A72-8D34-4033D0E43A5A.jpeg

It looks worn to me but I've never seen a new one from Ducellier.

I replaced mine with a Facet and as far as I can remember the rotor looked similar to the one Peat is showing.

Some rotors have epoxy in this recess but i can't remember if it was the case for mine.

My Mi16 used to burn the graphite finger inside the cap. Very often until i finally found a good quality graphite from a renault cap, also i've run non oem distributor caps and rotors they work just fine. That rotor looks burn thru, have you tested it with a lighter sparker.